computer used for viewing only

wilric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wanting to have a computer set up to view the 10-14 3 mg cameras. it will be on a managers desk and he will probably want to look at some camera at full screen for time to time. I looked at BP's program and i am not entirely excited about it as it froze up from time to time as well as a couple other things. using the web server in BI is ok but it also degrades the picture and has more cumbersome method to enlarge a specific camera. I am using inexpensive Amcrest cameras now and i actually like their amcrest surveillance pro program but today after using it for a couple weeks on a test machine it had problem finding the camera feed.

I had originally expected to just buy an additional copy of BI and use it. After learning about it i am not sure about the demands on a lower end processor. the best view i have found so far is when the BI loads up and has the screen in full screen mode. When i use the Amcrest surveillance pro, i don't see any noticeable usage on the recording computers CPU %. I am concerned that i have to get a decent processor for viewing if i want to use a copy of BI for viewing only. I guess i can run the new BI copy with almost nothing turned on for each camera other than viewing

Any thoughts on this

Richard..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wanting to have a computer set up to view the 10-14 3 mg cameras. it will be on a managers desk and he will probably want to look at some camera at full screen for time to time. I looked at BP's program and i am not entirely excited about it as it froze up from time to time as well as a couple other things. using the web server in BI is ok but it also degrades the picture and has more cumbersome method to enlarge a specific camera. I am using inexpensive Amcrest cameras now and i actually like their amcrest surveillance pro program but today after using it for a couple weeks on a test machine it had problem finding the camera feed.

I had originally expected to just buy an additional copy of BI and use it. After learning about it i am not sure about the demands on a lower end processor. the best view i have found so far is when the BI loads up and has the screen in full screen mode. When i use the Amcrest surveillance pro, i don't see any noticeable usage on the recording computers CPU %. I am concerned that i have to get a decent processor for viewing if i want to use a copy of BI for viewing only. I guess i can run the new BI copy with almost nothing turned on for each camera other than viewing

Any thoughts on this

Richard..
Have you set blue iris to record direct to disk? you must do this even if not recording or the usage will be high.
Also, you can limit the live view frame rate to minimize cpu..

wilric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I have a computer i used for viewing and older i5 4250 and all the recording turned off. ut is did set the direct to disk and the frame rate to 10 fps if i went over 6 camera with this computer i would run at high 90s, but i was using this computer to un my email 3-9 tabs in Chrome. and a couple other things as well. i know they all use some CPU

my new recording computer has 14 3 mg camera with 10 recording at 10 fps and cpu stays at 21% i7-6700, i don't k now if i can tax this one out much. i think the processor is pretty powerful for this task. i expect to have possibly 3 viewing computers accessing BI.