Config 18 error

wheelz

n3wb
Reaction score
I trying to replace a camera on friends nvr and get this error, not sure what to do. Also his nvr is not connected to the net (not sure if that makes a difference) . Thought they would be plug and play.

cheers

wheelz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am replacing a cam that has stopped working (i believe due to water). Bought new cam and plugged in to the poe nvr but get no pic just the config 18 error on screen.
(not alot more info sorry Alastair but hope it helps)

wheelz

n3wb
Reaction score
He pointed you to google for fixes.
No shit Sherlock. If "google for fixes" was your standard answer there would be no need for forums. Was hoping someone here had the same problem and new the simple fix. Either way im sure i will sort it and once i do i could either let people know on the forum for future reference or just leave it to be googled.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No shit Sherlock. If "google for fixes" was your standard answer there would be no need for forums.
Well, I thought it was a useful response to see what a search could come up with as I hadn't experienced that specific response myself, and you still hadn't provided even basic info such as model numbers, the origin and status of the camera and so on.
And it's not uncommon on a search to get useful info from a manufacturers support FAQs.

As it happened, the top result was :
"Config Error 18" means that a camera needs to be initialised before it can be used on the NVR. To initialise a camera you will need a laptop with Config Tool and either a PoE switch or a 12V power supply. Connect a laptop to the switch the camera is connected to and open Config Tool.
which had the ring of truth. Which was why I responded with my suggestion.

Your snarky response to @loony2ns was unnecessarily rude and does you no favours.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No shit Sherlock. If "google for fixes" was your standard answer there would be no need for forums. Was hoping someone here had the same problem and new the simple fix. Either way im sure i will sort it and once i do i could either let people know on the forum for future reference or just leave it to be googled.
This forum doesn't take kindly to folks expecting us to do ALL the work for them.
I don't see you contributing anything to this forum, other than demands.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to look at your original post, you didn’t even post the model of the cam or the NVR so how exactly were you expecting people to help you?

It’s no use posting “it’s broke, doesn’t work, please help” as unfortunately the read your mind forum plugin hasn’t worked ever since I joined the forums.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to look at your original post, you didn’t even post the model of the cam or the NVR so how exactly were you expecting people to help you?

It’s no use posting “it’s broke, doesn’t work, please help” as unfortunately the read your mind forum plugin hasn’t worked ever since I joined the forums.
1602439592261.png

wheelz

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciated your response Alister and had already had a little google and we both had come up with the most likely cause. My second response was to try give you a little more info (tho i realize not much).
Didn't think it was necessary for Looney to come in with the "you've been told to google so go away attitude"

Anyway thanks