Configuration for Internal Home access only

Reaction score
I'm trying to bring my camera system back up for our home viewing only, without hooking up to the router for remote access. This will be temporary until I sort out technical issues with Frontier.

Dahua PoE cameras
16 Port Ubiquity switch
PC with BI Installed

1. Can I run the system "internally only" without a modem/router hooked up?

2. If so, what settings are necessary?
- Ethernet settings?
- Router is currently unplugged from switch
- BI settings?

3. According to my Network Settings, my Ethernet card is Enabled.

4. For testing I have only 1 camera connected to the switch: 192.168.1.202 per Config Tool. The PC is the only other connection to the switch.

5. When I use a browser and enter the camera IP, it says I can't reach this page.

Any advice on what is wrong?

Thanks, will be back later.
Ron

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to bring my camera system back up for our home viewing only, without hooking up to the router for remote access. This will be temporary until I sort out technical issues with Frontier.

Dahua PoE cameras
16 Port Ubiquity switch
PC with BI Installed
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "home viewing only." Certainly you can operate the monitor on the BI server and see the cameras even if the server is not connected to the network provided by the router.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With your computer being the same, except .5.. you mean it's 192.168.1.5 correct? It should work.

It won't work if your computer is 192.168.5.202 (if that's what you meant).

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To set everything up without a router and a DCHP server (usually your router handles it), all you need to do is set a different static IP (in the same subnet) on Each camera and the computer (192.168.1.*). If the PC and cameras are all connected to the same switch, you should be able to view all of the cameras from the PC.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There have been issues with setting up blue iris off the internet, totally. With the BI PC connected to the internet, i would recommend doing a clean windows install, then install the BI software and activate the license. Then remove the BI PC for the router and internet.

set all the address like @DognamedTank recommended.

Reaction score
OK, thanks guys. I was finally able to get the Dahua page to come up when I entered the 192.168.1.202 camera address, but it wanted me to "click here" and get the app from Google Chrome, which requires an internet connection of course. My next step tonight will be to reconnect the router temporarily. I wanted to avoid changing the router IP address until I get done with Frontier tech issues but I'll just change it back again when I'm done.

DaveJ: Home Viewing Only means without a router connected. Reason: Working through Frontier tech issues and want to keep their standard 192.168.254.254 router address until it gets sorted out. Don't want any of their excuses about disconnects due to my camera system. In my system it would need to be 192.168.1.254.

Walrus: yes, PC is 192.168.1.5

Dog: Yes, cameras and PC (and router and storage when connected) are all 192.168.1.x

Yankee: Good to know. Interesting that my system used to work fine, but I quit using it for several months and now that I try to start again it doesn't. Makes me wonder if a BI upgrade along the way may have changed something.

My takeaway is that with BI and camera setup I DO need the router connected, but after setup and after unplugging the router it should all work fine for home use only.

Thanks guys. Ron

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don't have the IP addresses configured as static on the cams and computer you may run into issues not being able to connect if you reset anything or when the DHCP lease time runs out and the router/DHCP server is not connected to the switch.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using chrome, skip the live feed. Chrome will not display live feed, it no longer allows plugging.

You can use IE or chrome to do the setting, just do not look for live view.

There are a number of posts on updating g BI. If you purchased BI more than a year ago, you may need to purchase support. Or download the latest version from the ipcamtalk download tab.

You do not need a router to set up bi on a none internet network. All address are static.

Start with the PC.

Last edited: