Configuration loss

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Two IP cameras can suffer configuration settings loss when power is disconnected or at auto-reboot. It's happened about 4- 5 times since May. Auto-reboot is Tuesday 3:00am. NVR reboots at 1:00 same day. Behaviour isn't always identical. Sometimes IP address is changed, sometimes not.
I've done a good amount of reading on the subject. There are numerous reports of similar behaviour from a variety of brands. Various remedies were proposed...
Setting firmware auto-upgrade to off.
Requesting firmware update
Deactivating auto-reboot.
Reformat HDD
Reserving IP addresses in router.

A question arose about the saving of the settings. Perhaps we aren't doing all the steps correctly. Is there need for immediate reboot to properly save ??

Most recently I saved the cameras config file so was able to quickly get back to normal. Clearly I'd prefer a solution so we can leave the system to do its' work. Is there a way of making the correct setting, the default?

Any thoughts, ideas, tips appreciated.
Thanks.

Ip cameras: Besder
NVR: Besder POE 8ch

IpCam
upload_2018-9-12_18-20-4.png

NVR
upload_2018-9-12_18-13-7.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would turn off weekly auto reboot. It's always a time when things can go wrong.
I have Dahua cams that have ran for 6 months without a reboot or power cycle.

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns, I should have done that. Unfortunately the cameras have now stopped working and aren't returning IP addresses. They are receiving power because IR is working. Onvif Device Manager doesn't detect them either.
At this moment I think I need to factory reset them but can't find a button. They are Hi3516.
What can I do?
ipcam111.jpg

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Searching around on this issue I note the chip is fairly common. Most of the "reset" talk is about lost password... but I can't even get to a log in page. I've run Onvif Device Manager, IP Search, arp -a ...nothing. Shame because as recent as last night I had the opportunity to do a hard reset on one camera via ODM.

Re the reboot weekly thing. My old retired analog system was set to reboot every week and it did so for 7 ~ 8 years. Never a problem.

I messaged the seller and am waiting a response.

Hoping someone knows the solution to save these cameras from becoming scrapped...

Thanks.

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Suggestion : Try a different power supply, if you haven't already done so.
Good idea. Only I don't have another POE injector, switch or NVR. The cameras are only POE, no DC jack. There is another Ip camera still operating via the NVR POE. It's an older Hikvision. The network cable running to it has flashing leds at the RJ45 whereas the 2 unresponsive IPcameras, their lights are much more "solid". I think this means the working camera is transmitting data but the 2 others are not. In addition the IR is working correctly and the cameras are slightly warm to touch.

A reply came from China....
this is the firmware for this camera :
00014840.1版IPC16D_83H40_V4.0.R12
and about their working , could you please help me check its infrared LED and green indicator in the camera cable ? We need to make sure the cameras could be powered up normally .
and in order to reset it , we need to find its Ip address first .

I'd have to insist any prospective IPcams have a reset button in future. Even the Hik cam has had 2 resets in its' time IIRC. Of course both these cams in question might be dead anyway but it seems odd they tipped over within 8hrs of each other.

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, I nearly forgot...
Studying the Hi3516, there's mention of POR (Power-on-reset) It's listed under 'peripheral interfaces'.
According to Wiki, A power-on reset (PoR) generator is a microcontroller or microprocessor peripheral that generates a reset signal when power is applied to the device. It ensures that the device starts operating in a known state.
Could it be a jumper activates this? in a similar way to erasing PC bios/cmos..
Am I grasping at straws??

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It turns out there is no way of hard resetting these. They'd have to be sent back to China or at least the motherboards do. Given the cost of post I think just forget it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What's your opinion of the Besder NVR?
Of all my 'saved stores' on Aliexpress, their products are by far the cheapest.
I've been tempted a few times to buy some to look at just out of interest.

I'm about to create a shopping list for a CCTV installation at my local 'Mens Shed' and am pondering which route to take.
With the recent changes in exchange rates, and squeezed availablility, Hikvision products won't match budget limitations.

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where are you based?
NZ
What's your opinion of the Besder NVR?
Of all my 'saved stores' on Aliexpress, their products are by far the cheapest.
I've been tempted a few times to buy some to look at just out of interest.
I'm about to create a shopping list for a CCTV installation at my local 'Mens Shed' and am pondering which route to take.
With the recent changes in exchange rates, and squeezed availability, Hikvision products won't match budget limitations.
I'm happy with it however it is my first NVR. (had a analog Fuho DVR before this). You may have read of my criticism of the CMS software supplied.
I should comment about the way the software is written. It leaves a bit to be desired with user friendliness and the Chinese command of English isn't ideal either. I think it's a very typical problem not specific to Besder but more widespread amongst Chinese products. Just look at Chinese instructions. Yes, there's quite a bit they could do to "polish" their product from this regard.
So as of this moment I would purchase a Besder NVR again and of course they can't be beaten for price. I paid $165 NZD for the NVR with free shipping.
Hope this helps.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope this helps.
It does, thanks for that.
I didn't initially spot yor NZ origin. I was thinking as apparently a similar timezone I could look at the board for you.

The first time I came across 'Mens Sheds' was in Oz 4 or 5 years ago.
Now they are proliferating in the UK.

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most welcome.
I only added my "location" once you pointed out it wasn't listed... so you didn't actually miss it.

Yes, the Menz sheds is a great concept. Am watching with interest.

It's a shame the Ipcams aren't as good as the NVR. They cost $101 NZD (free ship) for the pair. They arrived in April so 5 months use at the most. Problems began to appear after reboot. Initially I could go to the interface and fix the settings which had all defaulted. All seemed well till the cameras became unresponsive. OK, they may have lasted longer if they weren't set to reboot weekly but it's flaky at best.

Any camera I buy from now will have a reset button.. Am getting a Dahua IPcam to test on my system. I have an older Hikvision IPcam running on it at present.