Configuring Blue Iris to download missed clips?

Reaction score
Question: Is it possible to configure Blue Iris to download clips from a camera's built-in SD card slot, based on if that clip is missing?

Background: I'm a Logitech Alert customer (which is being discontinued by Logitech). The Alert camera's have a built-in SDcard slot, and the camera's record clips to the card. Later the "commander" software polls the card and compares the clips in it's library to the clips on the card, if a clip is missing in the library the commander software will download it and put it into the library.

At the most basic level I would like for Blue Iris to be able to do that same function (assuming I set it up correctly), in the event that my desktop PC is accidentally turned off by my daughter, i won't loose a motion recording event.

I've been using the 60 day trial of Blue Iris and I like the software so far. Being that the alert products are discontinued eventual switch over to another brand of camera's and to other software is inevitable.

Reaction score
:sad2: slightly disappointing. I suppose that you could still manually pull the clips from the SD card and store those separately though.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about absentmindedly powering off the system after using it, you may be able to minimize the chance of this. You can remove the shutdown button from windows, and you can configure the power button to do nothing (unless you hold it down for several seconds, then the motherboard will kill the power anyway). You can google for instructions on how to do either of these things.

Reaction score
A valid position. However here is the other scenario.

I have two UPS battery backups. The ups that backs up the camera's and Poe switch lasts much longer than the desktop ups, on the order of hours longer.

I'm simply pointing out a feature of the Logitch software that I'm going to miss. I've posted in the Logitech forums, asking/pleading with them to release how they have that setup so that a third party could duplicate the functionality. It's a nice feature.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand. However the problem is not 'how' to pull clips off the card. That is likely easy. The bigger problem is that nobody has a really good reason to provide really tight integration with cameras that are 4 years old, being discontinued, and haven't been a good deal (price vs performance) in a long time.

I'm sure some other cameras have manufacturer-provided software that does something similar though!

Reaction score
I was told that Hikvision and Daha(?) both had models that have a SDcard capability. Have not had time to research if that's true or how it works.

Just seems like if this feature set
Could be used with these newer cameras then you'd have one more additional feature to offer.

Remember that I'm talking about having to replace my setup eventually, I'm trying to figure out the best way of doing that, while maintaining the greatest feature set I possibly can.

Seems a shame that the new tech isn't able to do a "simple" function as you call it that 4 year old discontinued tech could do.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is true, both Hikvision and Dahua have cams with SD cards and built-in motion detection and recording. Not all of their cams have card slots, but a fair number of them do. I don't know if their respective PC software packages support pulling clips off the cards or not. I know you can view the clips from the card by logging in to the camera directly though.

Anyway, Blue Iris is different. It is developed and supported by just one guy and he has to prioritize. If enough people ask him for this, then who knows, maybe he'll make it happen sooner rather than later :) It is a very significant undertaking though. He'd have to develop a framework for SD card access and then create camera-specific implementations for each type of camera, not unlike how he did the PTZ support.

Just FYI, I don't think he reads any of the Blue Iris forums so if you want him to know what you want, you'll have to email him directly. http://blueirissoftware.com/contact/

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not believe any manufacturer supports that feature... The SD card is a backup function... If something occurs you can pull the clip manually... If you want a backup just get a cheap 100 dollar nvr and have it record 24/7..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, and a dedicated NVR will probably run a lot longer on battery power than a full-blown PC.