Configuring Night Vision Mini Dome

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMG_0581.PNG IMG_0610.PNG Attached are pictures taken from my mini dome in the living room. One in medium light and the other and night vision. I'm not sure if I am expecting more and I'm going to get or if I am having issues with its configuration. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 19990 View attachment 19991 Attached are pictures taken from my mini dome in the living room. One in medium light and the other and night vision. I'm not sure if I am expecting more and I'm going to get or if I am having issues with its configuration. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
it looks a little out of focus and soft in both...it wont get much better at night...either leave a cheap led light on or look for a better low light performer - dahua starlight mini dome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At night there also might be just a little bit of a reflection causing some cloudiness as well test by removing the cover... Compare images

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMG_0532.PNG The images are definitely different with the dome off. When I originally bought it, the phone ring was missing that goes around the lens. Hikvision was good enough to send me a new one. It is definitely better than what it used to be.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 19994 The images are definitely different with the dome off. When I originally bought it, the phone ring was missing that goes around the lens. Hikvision was good enough to send me a new one. It is definitely better than what it used to be.
then your replacement ring is not perfect...thats your issue...it will get a bit better with a proper ring...it will still not be close to a good low light camera.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
fenderman is correct with these i have one in the garage its hopeless at night time there great day cams even running the day night switch and adjusting the shutter speed down to 1/3 from 1/25 only makes a small improvement

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This Hikvision technical bulletin may help.

I had this same problem with one of my dome cameras.To fix it, I placed a rubber O-ring between the cameras foam rig and the acrylic dome. Doing this meant there has no way for IR light to reflect into the camera lens. The O-ring was the same size as the foam ring.

Attachments

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like the picture from my turret but my fiancé put her foot down on having it inside. It's a little big for her. And she hates the look of the bullet camera.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changing the lens to a 4mm will help alot.

The other option could be to get a Hik dome DS2CD2185FWDI(S) with a 4mm lens. Nice and compact 110mm Dia, 82mm high.
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/EEM7yRJ
You almost wouldn't see it in the corner of a room.

or last years 4mp model if you don't want to spend as much. Looks to be on special when I check this morning @ $96.00 USD delived. http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2zzna6u
I have a few of these and they have served me well. All 4mm models.

Attachments

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first one looks interesting. I have the second one in my garage and it's nit as good as the turret, but way better than the mini dome

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fyi, that camera has no built in IR...
Well spotted Fenderman. I have good street & IR lighting for where I'm planing on installing mine.

The camera does seem to have ok specs anyway. From the Hik spec sheet:
  • Minimum Illumination(Lux): F1.6, AGC On : Color : 0.05 lux, B/W : 0.01 lux
It would be easier enough to install some external IR lighting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well spotted Fenderman. I have good street & IR lighting for where I'm planing on installing mine.

The camera does seem to have ok specs anyway. From the Hik spec sheet:
  • Minimum Illumination(Lux): F1.6, AGC On : Color : 0.05 lux, B/W : 0.01 lux
It would be easier enough to install some external IR lighting.
note that with a ptz, external ir has limited effect because it cannot move with the camera...

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the 3304 mini ptz that has amazing night vision for no ir but fenderman is correct pan around into no ir light and it's like turning a dimmer switch on and the camera goes dark