Confused about Day and Night Switches

ravedog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Been lurking and learning so much for your forums. Thought I'd ask a question:

There are 2 settings named "Day Night Switch", and I'm confused as to what each one does. I wrote a Shell script and Cron job that changes the first one to a scheduled switch to correspond with sunrise and sunset because I wanted to have individual image settings for day and night and it seemed that the only way to get separate day nght settings was to schedule a time. However, I'm confused as to what the purpose of the second setting would be used for. I get that you can force the camera to be in a Day Mode or Night mode only. But I don't understand what the "Auto" or Schedule for this lower setting would be for. (Should I have put my sunrise and sunset settings in here?)

I noticed that At the top settings, the camera switches to a night mode or day mode at those times, however, for a small window the picture looks awful. No matter how much I have read up on this, I cannot wrap my head around the concepts. Any thoughts?

Also, there a couple cameras that I want to force to day during a time and night during a time regardless of the available light. Can this be done?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is very confusing. Don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out as well.....Apparently, the top one "switch day and night" controls the two (day and night) image setting (brightness, contrast, etc.) profiles.....The second one "day/night switch" controls the IR cut filter removal over the lens and (if IR light is enabled) will turn on the IR light.....

For example, if you want to use different image settings (brightness, contrast, etc.) during the night, yet want it to remain in color mode, you set the first "switch day and night" to the times you want the day and night profiles to activate, and then you leave the second "day/night switch" in "day" mode. That will change the image settings at the appropriate time while leaving the camera in color mode.

Most people just leave them both set to "auto". The only need to mess with these is if you want to use the night image settings profile without activating the IR mode (or if you want the night image settings profile to activate before going into IR mode...Such as changing to night image settings at around sunset but not having it go to black and white IR mode until it gets completely dark)