Confused about the different firmware versions, and which is best english version.

mxmaniac

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried reading the stickys and searching the web but I'm quite confused about all the different firmware versions and which to look for, as well as the Chinese vs English hardware. Can anyone help clear the air which English firmware version is the considered the best?

Also I have a couple specific questions.

1) Aside from firmware, are there any differences in hardware or performance between a Chinese and American camera?
2) Since I see there are some firmware tools here on the site to change language, downgrade, etc. Is it even important which one is purchased anymore? Or can those tools basically get any camera to the best firmware version no matter what it comes with? Are there still models to avoid?
3) I purchased a DS-2CD2432F-IW with Firmware V5.3.0 build 150513 and Encoding version V5.0 build 150327 . It came in a retail looking box, seems to be English, and was from a seller on amazon with good feedback. However I do question it a bit as a few functions just do not seem to work like CIFS, and Logs. Is it possible I'm on one of the bad firmware versions?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Confused about the different firmware versions, and which is best english version

5.16 for functions any thing after that, are grey market control measures. But some will will argue other wise.

The best you can get with a 5.3.0 is down to 5.2.5 which again is still better than the later.

The camera's are all physically the same just different firmware that is all.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re: Confused about the different firmware versions, and which is best english version

^This 100%

I have nothing to add :D

mxmaniac

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks for the response.
Is there any resource which compares the differences between between 5.3.0 and 5.2.5, and/or lists the things that are broken in 5.3.0 but work in 5.2.5?

Also, I see the downgrader is for downgrading Chinese version 5.3.0, to 5.2.5. However I'm unsure whether I am on a Chineese version. Everything is in English, even the time stamp. So is it possible I may have an English 5.3.0 firmware? If so, would I still likely want to use that tool to downgrade?

Is there any way to get more specific confirmation about exactly which region and version I have? Any tool or command?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

If your camera came in a brown box it's normally Chinese, Coloured box then EN/ML,

The main difference on the 5.3.0 Chinese, was removal of telnet and all other languages and a block on downgrading . My downgrader resolved that issue.

If your serial number has CH in the middle you have a Chinese camera.

Where did you buy the camera from?

mxmaniac

n3wb
Reaction score

It was purchased from Amazon from the seller PoE Direct, who has 99% feedback. It did come in a colored box, and does not have CH in the serial (serial is DS-2CD2432F-IW20150615CCWR5244***truncated numbers)
So it almost appears that maybe this is a legit English version?

Although I could not find any way to enable telnet, or successfully telnet into it though (but was able to enable and connect via SSH).

My main concern right now is the firmware seems buggy or unfinished. I'm pretty tech savvy and work in IT, but can't seem to get any of the following to work. Logs, SMB/CIFS to a NAS, Line Crossing (can't draw line), Drawing the grid for motion detecting, dynamic motion analysis, and I'm sure a lot of other things. Maybe that is just how all the firmware is and these features have always been broken?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

5.2.5 was good for all that i'm using - line crossing.. motion etc.

Must admit I'm getting a bit pissed off with Aliexpress and Hikvision with all the firmware version, restrictions, regional bullshit and so forth.

Two of three vendors from Ali are not selling Hikvision anymore, and now upgrading to windows 10 I've got functionality issues with the camera browser interfaces.

All in all pretty much just like other electronic experience any longer, which is far too complicated with all the restrictions, rubbish firmware pushed out, and the level of effort increased on the consumer.

And I'm also a 25 year IT guy with a bit of a clue.

Throw in Hikvision CCH Chinese region, CCWR International Region, NVR's that do or don't work on them and its a dogs breakfast to navigate.

Almost need some Serial number mapping to NVR's and firmware releases to navigate.

I think your CCWR might be International model, the other version is English.

Google will tell you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

5.2.5 was good for all that i'm using - line crossing.. motion etc.

Must admit I'm getting a bit pissed off with Aliexpress and Hikvision with all the firmware version, restrictions, regional bullshit and so forth.

Two of three vendors from Ali are not selling Hikvision anymore, and now upgrading to windows 10 I've got functionality issues with the camera browser interfaces.

All in all pretty much just like other electronic experience any longer, which is far too complicated with all the restrictions, rubbish firmware pushed out, and the level of effort increased on the consumer.

And I'm also a 25 year IT guy with a bit of a clue.

Throw in Hikvision CCH Chinese region, CCWR International Region, NVR's that do or don't work on them and its a dogs breakfast to navigate.

Almost need some Serial number mapping to NVR's and firmware releases to navigate.

I think your CCWR might be International model, the other version is English.

Google will tell you.
You need to understand what you are buying...its not hikvisions fault. Generally, if you intend to use the cameras with a hikvision NVR you are better off getting US region cameras. Otherwise, if you are using a third party vms, it really doesnt matter and the choice should depend on whether the price difference is significant enough (it often isnt, depending on the model and its intended use)
IE 11 works perfectly with hikvision cameras, not sure if its a windows 10 issue but it works with 7 and 8. Those ali vendors could not and would not help you anyway...

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

If your camera came in a brown box it's normally Chinese, Coloured box then EN/ML,

The main difference on the 5.3.0 Chinese, was removal of telnet and all other languages and a block on downgrading . My downgrader resolved that issue.

If your serial number has CH in the middle you have a Chinese camera.

Where did you buy the camera from?
I was trying to figure out if my cameras were Chinese ones but it doesn't seem to have CH in the middle of the serial number. It's all digits and at the end it says CAN, can it still be a chinese one? Mine came in a white box and looks like a retail package, not like a brown box that others have mentioned.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Sounds like it was originally an OEM, then it will be EN/ML camera which is what you want:cool:

mxmaniac

n3wb
Reaction score

So I'm actually looking to buy a DS-2CD2332-I, and I see a seller on ebay who is in the US has a good reputation, and a decent price. But there are 2 options.

1) One with multi language firmware. Verified with the seller it is
5.2.5 chinese . About $120 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Megapixel-Network-IP-Security-Camera-2-8mm-Dome-Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Multi-L-/131583236679?hash=item1ea2f8da47
2) One that the seller claims is English firmware, but did not specify a version (said it didn't matter for the english version) . About $146 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Megapixel-Network-IP-Security-Camera-2-8mm-Dome-Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-English-/131500217175?hash=item1e9e061357

Anyone have any input? Seems like the english one could be better, however I hesitate because my other camera which is a
DS-2CD2432F-IW and seemed to be English is totally buggy, like I have mentioned above.

PS: I don't necessarily mind reflashing firmware as long as I wind up with a good end product.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

So I'm actually looking to buy a DS-2CD2332-I, and I see a seller on ebay who is in the US has a good reputation, and a decent price. But there are 2 options.

1) One with multi language firmware. Verified with the seller it is
5.2.5 chinese . About $120 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Megapixel-Network-IP-Security-Camera-2-8mm-Dome-Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Multi-L-/131583236679?hash=item1ea2f8da47
2) One that the seller claims is English firmware, but did not specify a version (said it didn't matter for the english version) . About $146 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Megapixel-Network-IP-Security-Camera-2-8mm-Dome-Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-English-/131500217175?hash=item1e9e061357

Anyone have any input? Seems like the english one could be better, however I hesitate because my other camera which is a
DS-2CD2432F-IW and seemed to be English is totally buggy, like I have mentioned above.

PS: I don't necessarily mind reflashing firmware as long as I wind up with a good end product.

Keep in mind that hikvisions have always had problems with writing direct to nas and you need to properly follow directions and work around size limitations. They are best used with an NVR or VMS.
The 2432 will not save logs unless it has a place to save them..it works perfectly when saving logs to SD card.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Sounds like it was originally an OEM, then it will be EN/ML camera which is what you want:cool:
With the camera being EN/ML, does that mean I can use the US firmware on these cameras and it won't revert back to chinese if I upgrade/downgrade it?