Confused as to which camera to get

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a couple new cameras and have been focusing on the Dahua IPC-HDW5442T series. There are 4 cameras in this series and I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get.

IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE
IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED
IPC-HDW5442TM-AS

The IPC-HDW5442T-ZE looks like it has a varifocus lens where as the others don't, but I'm not sure if it has as good of AI features as the others. I don't want to get the T-ZE and then discover I'm missing AI features I really would like to have.

Some have LED instead of IR and I'm sure there are other differences but I just don't know enough about them yet. The descriptions at the Dahua web sight make it pretty hard to compare. Especially when it comes to the AI functionality.

I'd really like to be able to avoid as many false positive motion actions as possible. Maybe set for people and cars? Does anyone here have any of these cameras or have a good understanding of which ones have good AI features?

The one with the varifocus lens seems pretty appealing to me.

Does anyone have a good understanding of the AI features in this series?

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HDW5442T-ZE has 1GB RAM
All others is RAM/ROM 512 MB/128 MB

thats all i can see

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a couple new cameras and have been focusing on the Dahua IPC-HDW5442T series. There are 4 cameras in this series and I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get.

IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE
IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED
IPC-HDW5442TM-AS

The IPC-HDW5442T-ZE looks like it has a varifocus lens where as the others don't, but I'm not sure if it has as good of AI features as the others. I don't want to get the T-ZE and then discover I'm missing AI features I really would like to have.

Some have LED instead of IR and I'm sure there are other differences but I just don't know enough about them yet. The descriptions at the Dahua web sight make it pretty hard to compare. Especially when it comes to the AI functionality.

I'd really like to be able to avoid as many false positive motion actions as possible. Maybe set for people and cars? Does anyone here have any of these cameras or have a good understanding of which ones have good AI features?

The one with the varifocus lens seems pretty appealing to me.

Does anyone have a good understanding of the AI features in this series?
Hi @scuba-junky

"AI" features I do not yet fully trust in the cameras - so if you want better AI I'd pass that to another system for further processing ( PC + VMS + AI example )

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC, the last one on the list is EOL, with the #2 on your list having replaced it.

The LED model uses bright white LED lights (instead of IR lights) to create extra light when the scene gets dark. This allows it to stay in color mode when cameras that use IR would have switched to B/W mode. IMO the LED camera is for niche situations and most folks would prob do better with a non-LED model.

I have the LED model (but have those lights disabled) and the 5442TM-AS model. I use the IVS intrusion zone with the Person and Vehicle filters enabled and they work well.

If I were picking one today, I’d go for the varifocal model. I’ve got several older varifocal 5231s (which were the best affordable lowlight models before the 5442s came out, IMO) that are zoomed in more than 6mm which is as much as the non-varifocal models can go.

Reaction score
IIRC, the last one on the list is EOL, with the #2 on your list having replaced it.

The LED model uses bright white LED lights (instead of IR lights) to create extra light when the scene gets dark. This allows it to stay in color mode when cameras that use IR would have switched to B/W mode. IMO the LED camera is for niche situations and most folks would prob do better with a non-LED model.

I have the LED model (but have those lights disabled) and the 5442TM-AS model. I use the IVS intrusion zone with the Person and Vehicle filters enabled and they work well.

If I were picking one today, I’d go for the varifocal model. I’ve got several older varifocal 5231s (which were the best affordable lowlight models before the 5442s came out, IMO) that are zoomed in more than 6mm which is as much as the non-varifocal models can go.
Thanks for the reply. I was out for a few days and haven't gotten back on here to follow up.

Looks like I'm narrowing it down to the top 2. Don't want number 3(LED) and number 4 is EOL. That leaves
IPC-HDW5442T-ZE and IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE. Of these 2 which one has infrared, Ai for detecting people autos, and varifocal lens?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The one with the Z in the model name has the varifocal zoom lens.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score