Confusing PoE switch specs

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some PoE switches only have PoE on half of the ports.
Some PoE switches are only rated 10/100mbps.
Some PoE switches offer managed switch features which are useless on a tiny home network.

What about the switches that have gigabit network ports but non-gigabit camera ports?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some PoE switches only have PoE on half of the ports.
Some PoE switches are only rated 10/100mbps.
Some PoE switches offer managed switch features which are useless on a tiny home network.

What about the switches that have gigabit network ports but non-gigabit camera ports?
You are correct. You need to read the specs. Since the cameras are 10/100 there is no benefit of gigabit ports for the cams, there is a benefit of having a gigabit uplink.

Reaction score
Since the cameras are 10/100 there is no benefit of gigabit ports for the cams, there is a benefit of having a gigabit uplink.
We use UniFi switches. If your cameras are just POE (802.3af) you can get by with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Switch-60W-US-8-60W/dp/B01MU3WUX1/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1543015885&sr=8-10&keywords=UniFi+8x60

If you need POE+ (802.3at) which power the higher consumption cameras, then one of these will do:
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Managed-Gigabit-US-8-150W/dp/B01DKXT4CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543016047&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+us-8-150w

We use a 60w in our office, a 16x150 in our centralized writing can and an 8x150 in our garage. We have mostly low power cameras but do have a couple that require POE+. We also have other devices we power with POE such as our AP’s and our home automation controller.

Michael

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
[QUOTE="davej, post: 313504, member: 227"
[/QUOTE]I'll disagree with that. Examples are that ports can be monitored for power draw and link activity if the switch is tucked away in an inaccessible location. Link activity can be monitored more accurately than by looking at the port LEDs. VLANs can be set up to isolate cameras from the Internet. I could agree with "useless for many people", but not for everybody.

Reaction score
Here’s one reason to have managed switches such us UniFi. We were recently on vacation and one of our POE cameras went out and needed to be restarted. And, yes, I understand that Blue Iris has a restart command. However, in order to get this particular camera back on line, I needed to power cycle the port the camera is connected to.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...I understand that Blue Iris has a restart command. However, in order to get this particular camera back on line, I needed to power cycle the port the camera is connected to.
So is this the sort of thing that might happen after a severe thunderstorm? A camera needs a reset or restart? Also I had presumed that the best and most recent cameras were probably gigabit capable.

Reaction score
The camera in question is a Dahua and is in our garage. Like all computers I suppose it might need a reboot every once in a while. Probably why there is an option in the camera set up to Auto Maintain (reboot) every week.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera in question is a Dahua and is in our garage. Like all computers I suppose it might need a reboot every once in a while. Probably why there is an option in the camera set up to Auto Maintain (reboot) every week.
Yeah, turn that off. It's just a good time for Murphy to show his ugly face.