CONNECT PC TO TV

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would like to view BI on my TV from my windows computer. I have BI running on my windows 10 pro computer. My TV has an Ethernet wire running to my router so I can have internet access. My computer is likewise connected to the router via an unmanaged switch so I can have internet on my computer if needed. Is there a way to view my cameras on the TV? Do I need a program of some sort to have this work?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the TV has a web browser, you simply open up UI3 on it.

Or mirror your phone to or computer to it.

Or one of the various options discussed when someone starts a similar thread

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the TV has a web browser, you simply open up UI3 on it.

Or mirror your phone to or computer to it.

Or one of the various options discussed when someone starts a similar thread

Thanks I want it hard wired. No web browser app. I’ll look for one. If I get one what is a UI3?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks I want it hard wired. No web browser app. I’ll look for one. If I get one what is a UI3?
It will be hardwired if you have an Ethernet cable to your TV (and it's on the same network). You still need some way to view BI/camera streams. You'd do that using a browser or app as @wittaj said above.

The other way is to run a cable from your PC to the TV for video using whatever outputs/inputs you have available and watch it as you would any other video input to the TV in the same way as a monitor for the PC. In that case, you'd also need some way to control what the PC displays to it at whatever time.

Reaction score
... just adding my experience using an HDMI splitter/extender (mentioned in the other threads posted by wittaj above)

I use an HDMI splitter/extender (this one: ) that transmits video over UTP cable to small receivers. The UTP cable has to be terminated using the T-568A or B standard, but the cable is a mechanical connection - like a really long HDMI cable. (I think that is how it works. I do know that the video is not being transmitted as ethernet data packets.)

This is a little wordy, but my BI server is a "workstation" motherboard with a Xeon E3 processor with integrated graphics, so I use that for BI Intel video decoding. I also have an Nvidia GTX 750ti installed (decent low-power performance) which I have the HDMI splitter attached to. I am not sure if any of the flavors of Windows 10 allow it, but I use Windows Server 2019 which allows multiple users to be logged in, so I have BI running under the Administrator account (accessed from Remote Desktop), and then I have a Camera_User account logged in locally to the server using the Nvidia card. Under that Camera_User account desktop I have a web browser running UI3 full screen, which is what is sent to all the HDMI receivers from the splitter.

I have dual networks according to the forum "best practice": one for cameras and one for devices that need Internet access, with BI server's dual NICs as the divider. One advantage I believe I gain from the HDMI splitter is that I have four streams of high resolution (well, 1920x1080 anyway) video that have no impact on either network's traffic.

With the particular splitter in the link above, the transmitter is powered and the receivers are powered over the Cat5e cable. That might make a difference to your installation. Maybe not a real advantage since the TV needs power from mains anyway. :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head I can think of a couple limitations or unknowns. All of the TVs see the same UI3 display/configuration, and I currently don't have KVM's or any control except from the console. Also, I have no idea how long cable runs would affect the video quality. The TV with the longest cable run is only around 120 feet away (maybe less).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would this work? I have one HDMI port and one 9 pin video port. Not sure what this means but this is what I have in my computer
Video ports(2x) Display Port 1.2; HDMI 1.4;

Can I not just run two cables? One HDMI and one of the 9 pin types from the computer to monitor and TV? Can this be done? Thanks

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The answer is, It depends. because some motherboard manufacturers support multiple video outputs in a variety of ways depending on the hardware included onboard.
Sometimes there is a limitation on howmany video out are supported, and sometimes it comes down to Analog vs. Digital.
The 9 pin you refer to is the analog VGA port.
Display Port and HDMi are digital outputs.
Some boards are either or, and not both VGA and Digital.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You could depending on what your monitor and TV support. You may have both Display Port and HDMI on your monitor. You won't have DisplayPort on your TV. Pretty much any computer should let you do dual display. If you had to you can easily convert Display Port to HDMI. The other way is a little more complicated but can be done, just costs a little more.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The answer is, It depends. because some motherboard manufacturers support multiple video outputs in a variety of ways depending on the hardware included onboard.
Sometimes there is a limitation on howmany video out are supported, and sometimes it comes down to Analog vs. Digital.
Display Port and HDMi are digital outputs.
Some boards are either or, and not both VGA and Digital.
thanks didn’t know that,,surprise :facepalm: I’ll research as to what a display port looks like.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could depending on what your monitor and TV support. You may have both Display Port and HDMI on your monitor. You won't have DisplayPort on your TV. Pretty much any computer should let you do dual display. If you had to you can easily convert Display Port to HDMI. The other way is a little more complicated but can be done, just costs a little more.
Thanks, display port to HDMI looks like the best route. I looked at the HDMI splitter mentioned but way to much money. I‘m already way way over budget on this project.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have one HDMI port and one 9 pin video port.
FWIW, VGA video ports are 15 pin, RS-232 serial ports are 9 pin (DE9) which were preceded by the 25 pin (DB25).

Unless the PC is over 12 years of age or has an add-in peripheral card, that D-sub connector is likely a 15 pin (DA15) VGA video port. :cool:

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like I have 2 display ports on the computer. On the TV there are several HDMI ports. So if I get an adaptor display to HDMI then I would get a display on my TV from the computer.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you not have Display Port on your monitor? That would be easiest and no adapter required.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you not have Display Port on your monitor? That would be easiest and no adapter required.
After researching about all these different cable types I now know what’s what I think. But to answer your question I don’t have a Display Port. A bunch of HDMI and a few USB ports. I ordered so stuff from Amazon that should enable me to connect. Well let’s hope so anyway :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In case identifying these ports is an issue, maybe this will help; certainly it's not the ultimate, but it may help you figure out the following:
  • What video outputs does your PC have?
  • What video inputs does the TV have?
  • How far is it from the PC to the TV?
PC-ports_1a.jpg

You said there's an Ethernet cable running from the TV to your router:
  • How far is the TV from the router?
  • How far is the PC from the router?

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In case identifying these ports is an issue, maybe this will help; certainly it's not the ultimate, but it may help you figure out the following:
  • What video outputs does your PC have?
  • What video inputs does the TV have?
  • How far is it from the PC to the TV?
View attachment 152488

You said there's an Ethernet cable running from the TV to your router:
  • How far is the TV from the router?
  • How far is the PC from the router?
Great diagram! Distance of both, about 6 feet. I was going to poke a hole thru the wall into the kitchen to mount the computer monitor and run an HDMI cable. The second HDMI will run to the TV. I’ll use my iPhone for a portable viewer if I can figure out Zerotier:)

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
... just adding my experience using an HDMI splitter/extender (mentioned in the other threads posted by wittaj above)

I use an HDMI splitter/extender (this one: ) that transmits video over UTP cable to small receivers. The UTP cable has to be terminated using the T-568A or B standard, but the cable is a mechanical connection - like a really long HDMI cable. (I think that is how it works. I do know that the video is not being transmitted as ethernet data packets.)

This is a little wordy, but my BI server is a "workstation" motherboard with a Xeon E3 processor with integrated graphics, so I use that for BI Intel video decoding. I also have an Nvidia GTX 750ti installed (decent low-power performance) which I have the HDMI splitter attached to. I am not sure if any of the flavors of Windows 10 allow it, but I use Windows Server 2019 which allows multiple users to be logged in, so I have BI running under the Administrator account (accessed from Remote Desktop), and then I have a Camera_User account logged in locally to the server using the Nvidia card. Under that Camera_User account desktop I have a web browser running UI3 full screen, which is what is sent to all the HDMI receivers from the splitter.

I have dual networks according to the forum "best practice": one for cameras and one for devices that need Internet access, with BI server's dual NICs as the divider. One advantage I believe I gain from the HDMI splitter is that I have four streams of high resolution (well, 1920x1080 anyway) video that have no impact on either network's traffic.

With the particular splitter in the link above, the transmitter is powered and the receivers are powered over the Cat5e cable. That might make a difference to your installation. Maybe not a real advantage since the TV needs power from mains anyway. :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head I can think of a couple limitations or unknowns. All of the TVs see the same UI3 display/configuration, and I currently don't have KVM's or any control except from the console. Also, I have no idea how long cable runs would affect the video quality. The TV with the longest cable run is only around 120 feet away (maybe less).
I second this.

I use a similar HDMI extender to connect my bedroom TV to my NVR. Works great with a wireless mouse.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.