Connecting cameras to NVR through external PoE switch

clunk

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hikvision 7608 and I'd like to attach one camera directly to one of the built-in PoE ports and the other three to an external PoE switch that then feeds into the NVR (those cameras are located ~100ft away so I'd like to just run one line). I can't seem to find a setting that allows multiple cameras to be recognized through the external PoE switch. Does anyone have the key to making this setup work?

TIA,
cunk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
can't seem to find a setting that allows multiple cameras to be recognized through the external PoE switch.
The PoE switch that supplies these cameras needs to be on the same network that the NVR LAN port is connected to, it must not be on any of the NVR PoE ports.
Assuming you have a 7608NxEx/8P, to associate what would have been a PoE channel with a camera on the LAN, in Camera Configuration (web GUI) you need to change the mode of the NVR PoE channel you want the camera to show on to 'Manual' instead of 'Plug and Play' and set the IP address of the LAN-connected cameras.

clunk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response!

So my external network has a subnet of 11 (192.168.11.###) and the internal NIC the DVR has the std 254 setting. Do I set the cameras connected to the external switch to the "11" or "254" subnet? Once I configure the channel to "Manual", do I still use the "Hikvision" protocol (they're Hikvision cameras) or do I switch o something like "ONVIF".

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The 'external' (ie on the LAN) cameras connected to the external PoE switch need to be assigned an IP address in your 192.168.11.0 range, either statically in the camera web GUI / SADP, or via a DHCP reservation in your router.
The addresses used by the internal NIC of the NVR are only of interest for cameras that are connected to the NVR PoE ports.
When changing the mode of the NVR PoE channel from Plug and Play to Manual, the IP address is the only change required, it needs to be set the same as what you assigned to the camera. Protocol stays at Hikvision, logon ID/password as per the camera.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree with @alastairstevenson. From my limited experience, a HIKVISION camera will accept the HIKVISION protocol. I've found that the ONVIF protocol may not allow all the features of the camera to be used.

As stated, use the LAN IP address of the camera (not the NIC), and manually add it with the HIKVISION protocol.