Connecting Dahua cam to Hikvision NVR

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I have come across a problem with my brother inlaws NVR with adding a Dahua cam to it, The NVR is a DS7616NI-E2, i have a model like this as well with a couple of Dahua cams and have not had this issue,.

He currently has 5 Hikvision 2CD2332I and a Dahua HDw4631EMP all connected to an external POE switch, the config is as follows
Hikvision cams
192.168.1.102 port 8002
103 port 8003
104 port 8004
105 port 8005
106 port 8006

Dahua cam
192.168.1.113 port 80 (which was the default HTTP port)

We have added a second Dahua 463EMP with an IP address of 192.168.1.114 using port 80 also and it will not connect to the NVR coming with a Parameter error, We tried 8007, 08008, 8009 and so on and it keeps coming up with parameter error, we have tried different IP addresses as well.

There is already a camera like this on the system with no issue, and I have 2 on my NVR without any issue

Any ideas guys?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I run Dahua cams on my Hikvision NVR's with out issue using ONVIF. Did you enter the password after the change?

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run Dahua cams on my Hikvision NVR's with out issue using ONVIF. Did you enter the password after the change?
Hi yes , we have removed the camera from the NVR each time and reentered it and consistently get a parameter error on the NVR each time

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that it's obviously related to the problem - but I'm curious why the Hikvision management port 8000 has been customised away from the default value.
There is no value or benefit in doing so, and potential problems.
Hikvision cameras are known to show odd problems when ports are customised away from the defaults.

Dahua cameras might also misbehave if ports are customised, but I'm guessing here.
Has the Dahua ONVIF port been changed from the default?

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not that it's obviously related to the problem - but I'm curious why the Hikvision management port 8000 has been customised away from the default value.
There is no value or benefit in doing so, and potential problems.
Hikvision cameras are known to show odd problems when ports are customised away from the defaults.

Dahua cameras might also misbehave if ports are customised, but I'm guessing here.
Has the Dahua ONVIF port been changed from the default?
Hi Alastair, I had always worked on the principle with cameras of a different port for each camera like when port forwarding you can’t forward the same port to 2 IP addresses so it’s ok to use 8000 server port on all cameras ? In other words don’t screw withthe ports?

yes we are using ONViF for the Dahua,I will reset the damn and try again leaving the ports alone

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I had always worked on the principle with cameras of a different port for each camera like when port forwarding you can’t forward the same port to 2 IP addresses
Ignoring the fact that port forwarding from the internet is a very risky proposition - the external port in the configuration is independent of the internal port that it is forwarded to. So, yes, with a single external public IP address, the destinations need to be differentiated by the port number.
Internally, devices are differentiated by their unique IP address.

Dumb question, for which apologies - presumably the ONVIF service is enabled on the camera web GUI?
And does the camera show up normally in ONVIF Device Manager?

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ignoring the fact that port forwarding from the internet is a very risky proposition - the external port in the configuration is independent of the internal port that it is forwarded to. So, yes, with a single external public IP address, the destinations need to be differentiated by the port number.
Internally, devices are differentiated by their unique IP address.

Dumb question, for which apologies - presumably the ONVIF service is enabled on the camera web GUI?
And does the camera show up normally in ONVIF Device Manager?
Hey mate, thanks for taking the time on this , yep the service is running

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I could not find that camera on an internet search. Is this a new camera? If an older camera does it have the latest software?

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other thing I would check. The "E" series NVR only supports H264+ max. No H265 at all. If your Dahua camera is defaulting to the H265 then that may be why you cannot see it. They will also be able to handle a max of 6MP for the cameras. Try this....

1) Default the camera and activate it.
2) Set the camera to the IP address you want it to be making sure it is in the same network as your Hikvision cameras.
3) Log into the Dahua cameras directly and go to the settings of the camera. Set the cameras to H264.
4) In the NVR select the channel under Camera settings and click Edit. Take it off "Plug and Play" and set to "Manual". Protocol will be ONVIF. Put in the camera's IP address and port number along with the user name and password of the camera. Click apply at the bottom to save.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If your Dahua camera is defaulting to the H265 then that may be why you cannot see it. They will also be able to handle a max of 6MP for the cameras.
It does depend on the definition of 'support'.
I have a DS-7816N-E2/8P that is recording mostly h.265 camera streams, and also has a couple of 8MP cameras attached.
What's not supported is the NVR decoding h.265 to put out on the HDMI/VGA interface.
But webcomponents in IE11 works fine as a renderer. I run the NVR headless anyway.
It records the 8MP cameras OK as well, but you can sense it pausing for breath a bit when moving the playback position around.

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One other thing I would check. The "E" series NVR only supports H264+ max. No H265 at all. If your Dahua camera is defaulting to the H265 then that may be why you cannot see it. They will also be able to handle a max of 6MP for the cameras. Try this....

1) Default the camera and activate it.
2) Set the camera to the IP address you want it to be making sure it is in the same network as your Hikvision cameras.
3) Log into the Dahua cameras directly and go to the settings of the camera. Set the cameras to H264.
4) In the NVR select the channel under Camera settings and click Edit. Take it off "Plug and Play" and set to "Manual". Protocol will be ONVIF. Put in the camera's IP address and port number along with the user name and password of the camera. Click apply at the bottom to save.
Cheers mate, yeah I am going to give it a rest and start over, i had made sure it was set to H264