Connecting Dahua Surveillance System to VPN

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm getting failed--connection timed out, what gives?

I had to set mine for home network only and I could not use the IPv6

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I got it working by enabling port forwarding on the FiOS Gateway

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had to buy a new modem, mine was a combo and I couldn't use my negear router with it. I set the new modem as a bridge so I wouldn't get any IP address conflicks from both units.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How do I verify if I'm using the VPN?

I had to buy a new modem, mine was a combo and I couldn't use my negear router with it. I set the new modem as a bridge so I wouldn't get any IP address conflicks from both units.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Now I have the following error, Recursive routing detected

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
it seems to be working now (green icon--connected, no error). However, I'm still getting my real ip address, shouldn't that change, or do I need to check from a remote location?

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went on line and used whats my ip address. I first checked with my vpn off then with it on, they should be different.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
When I check I get the same IP Address, whats the solution?

Also,
On iOS, when I connect the laptop to Personal Hotspot, the address showing in whatsmyipaddress is the IP assigned to the iOS Device by the Network Carrier (LTE). When I enable OpenVPN on my laptop and connect to the Netgear VPN and check whatsmyipaddress, the IP updates to my router's IP (even when connected to the Personal Hotspot). Therefore, using the VPN in Starbucks is good to go now (figure of speech).

I'm trying to see why my IP address doesn't change when I toggle the OpenVPN to connect when the laptop is connected directly to the Netgear Router

I went on line and used whats my ip address. I first checked with my vpn off then with it on, they should be different.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Does the NVR automatically detect the VPN? How do I configure that part? This is really ambiguous, but not confusing. Need clarification, thanks

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine works on the wired computer (wifi turnd off) and when i check my ip address with no vpn is 192.# and with it on its a 50.#.
My laptop does not have vpn setup on it but with the vpn on my laptop uses the wifi with no problems and the IP address does not change.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're probably using a public / third-party VPN in conjunction to your personal VPN then

Mine works on the wired computer (wifi turnd off) and when i check my ip address with no vpn is 192.# and with it on its a 50.#.
My laptop does not have vpn setup on it but with the vpn on my laptop uses the wifi with no problems and the IP address does not change.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ryan, is an unmanged 8-Port switch essentially connected as an access point and not as a separate router using its own DHCP router?

iMHO should be:
FIOS -> Router/Firewall w/VPN -> 8p Switch -> PoE Switch -> NVR

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, then since this is an un-managed switch, how can I still make sure the switch follows the same DHCP IP range set by the Netgear R7000 router?
no, if its unmanaged it should not be doing anything DHCP

Last edited:

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A plain Jane switch will just pass traffic through it between whatever devices are on the network. There's no IP address involved at the switch. None of the switches on my network are visible (no IP address assigned, not possible to do so).

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, then unmanged switches it is, lol

A plain Jane switch will just pass traffic through it between whatever devices are on the network. There's no IP address involved at the switch. None of the switches on my network are visible (no IP address assigned, not possible to do so).

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
So will blocking the ports on the Router/Firewall w/VPN prohibit me from viewing the cameras through the Dahua iOS and Android apps?

What are specific ports numbers I should be blocking? If I block TCP Port # 37777, I'm essentially blocking access to the cameras even when connected via VPN. My only option then would be to use the web interface.

iMHO should be:
FIOS -> Router/Firewall w/VPN -> 8p Switch -> PoE Switch -> NVR

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the iOS openvpn app on my phone. I downloaded a file from my vpn router when I set up vpn. The file is imported into the app on my phone. If I want to see my home network, camera, etc., I open the app and connect to my home vpn. One connected, I can see my camera feed on my home network like I am at home. My Dahua app is set to the home network IP address for the camera. It's like you're at home and looking at everything there.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks cybermech, I've noticed that if I block certain ports, including 37777, I don't have access to the cameras feed on the P2P app with and without VPN. Am I in the right interface?

I have the iOS openvpn app on my phone. I downloaded a file from my vpn router when I set up vpn. The file is imported into the app on my phone. If I want to see my home network, camera, etc., I open the app and connect to my home vpn. One connected, I can see my camera feed on my home network like I am at home. My Dahua app is set to the home network IP address for the camera. It's like you're at home and looking at everything there.

Attachments