Connecting Dahua Surveillance System to VPN

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't fiddled with the ports yet. Got my 1st cam up 4 days ago. =). Crazy things like work and kids keep using up my time. Vpn setup was super easy. Still need to check my network traffic and set up rules to make sure the cam / nvr don't call home to China. Waiting for some more cams to be available to set up more.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if @nayr can follow-up to this inquiry :D
Its good that I got the VPN going though, now to figure out the ports which need to be closed and on which router

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
So...forget the routers and block those ports on the cameras from the get go, right? :)
I made some pretty good progress in the last 24 hours, lol

block em all too/from your cameras

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The VPN appears to be properly set up now from my end, it was pretty straightforward, but obviously questions would remain for anyone that never intended to setup one in the first place; its truly a serious matter for the sake of anyone's privacy and security. The WebRTC VPN Bug was something I just came across when I was doing a random IP check when I was connected to my VPN through my mobile device. :)
Like you said, its not pertaining to our particular usage. ;)

The aspect remaining now is going about port closure and fiddling around with firewall settings. From there, I should be all set. :)

You are not understanding what a vpn is and the different types of implementations. Instead of looking for "bugs" that are irrelevant to your vpn implementation, you should be learning about properly setting up your vpn.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The VPN appears to be properly set up now from my end, it was pretty straightforward, but obviously questions would remain for anyone that never intended to setup one in the first place; its truly a serious matter for the sake of anyone's privacy and security. The WebRTC VPN Bug was something I just came across when I was doing a random IP check when I was connected to my VPN through my mobile device. :)
Like you said, its not pertaining to our particular usage. ;)

The aspect remaining now is going about port closure and fiddling around with firewall settings. From there, I should be all set. :)
no, you have not experienced the bug and you are still misunderstand vpn, which can be more dangerous than no vpn...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The concept of VPN is pretty clear now. Instead of relying on public VPN, I can use my own now, which is an added bonus. Its a pretty good layer of security.
That bug was meant to serve as a distraction when I comparing IP's. It never served any relevance here :D

no, you have not experienced the bug and you are still misunderstand vpn, which can be more dangerous than no vpn...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The concept of VPN is pretty clear now. Instead of relying on public VPN, I can use my own now, which is an added bonus. Its a pretty good layer of security.
That bug was meant to serve as a distraction when I comparing IP's. It serves no relevance here :D
Your post again indicates that you have no idea what you are talking about. Pray tell, what is a "public VPN"...
Once again, you did not experience that "bug"...that fact that you dont understand that is worrisome.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I see what context you're speaking from :D

It's also clear that a paid VPN service Is not at the same level as personal

That article appears to have pertained to paid VPN services if I'm not mistaken :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks fenderman

Your post again indicates that you have no idea what you are talking about. Pray tell, what is a "public VPN"...
Once again, you did not experience that "bug"...that fact that you dont understand that is worrisome.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem lays in the API which causes browsers like chrome and opera to expose such info, otherwise no big deal here, probably irrelevant to our intended purpose, back on topic :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem lays in the API which causes browsers like chrome and opera to expose such info, otherwise no big deal here, probably irrelevant to our intended purpose, back on topic :)
Stop copy and pasting nonsense...Go study up on vpn...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sigh, I think your past bending light and now capturing it in a singularity..