Connecting the DVR to the Internet via a second router

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there.

A newbie here trying to connect a Hikvision DVR to the Internet. I want to explain my situation meticulously so you'd be able to understand and hopefully to help. Room1 and Room2. In Room1 - there is the Main router, I will call it Router1, the Internet cable is plugged into the WAN port and I have the Internet connection and it is functioning normally. The DVR is in Room2, cameras are connected to the DVR, it is connected to a monitor, I can watch them locally there. However, the Internet cable can not reach Room2, it is too short, that is why it is plugged in the WAN in Router1 in Room1. My goal is be able to watch the cameras on the Internet remotely when I am out of the house. I have to add a second router (Router2) acting as an extender in Room2, then connect it to the DVR via LAN cable. First thing I am unsure of is: If I wirelessly connect Router1 (the Main router) to Router2 (situated in Room2 where the DVR is), can Router2 do the job whilst there won't be a WAN cable plugged in it as it will function just as an extender? If that is possible, I will proceed with my next questions regarding the settings on the Routers (IPs, DHCP and so on).

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You are confusing the functionality of these "all in one" network devices. These generally have three roles - a router (running a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to devices on the network), a switch (usually 4 LAN ports allowing you to connect devices via a network cable) and a wifi access point (providing wifi for the local network). You only want one router (one DHCP service) on your network. The incoming internet line should be plugged into the WAN port of the device. Most of these devices have additional ports labeled LAN (for local area network). These are the ports you want to plug other devices into and allow the device to function as a switch. If you need to use a second "all in one" device as a switch, you first need to make sure you have turned off the DHCP functionality (which is the "router" part of the device). Second, you shouldn't use the WAN port of this second device at all. You'll use LAN ports to both connect it to the first router as well as connect any other nearby devices to it. This will make it function as a "switch" only and not a second DHCP server (which can cause all kinds of problems).

Honestly I am not sure why you need the second device at all. Simply run a network cable from the NVR to the first device. If you can plug in the second device this way, you can plug in the NVR this way. The only reason to use a second device is if you are trying to connect several devices to the network in the second room and therefore need a switch. Again, you can use the second device as a switch as long as it is set up correctly.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.

@Maudlin , if you're trying to "couple" the DVR in Room2 with Router2 wirelessly it could be done but it will likely be very unreliable and provide poor video (jumpy, skipping frames, etc.) as video can be very bandwidth intensive, especially from a DVR/NVR with multiple cams.

I'd run the Ethernet cable as suggested by @The Automation Guy .:cool:

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, here is clarification with pictures. First picture from Room1, where the Main router (Router1) is located. As seen from the image, the Internet cable goes inside the WAN port. It has been set, it functions normally. The next image is from Room2. There I have the Hikvision DVR (in the middle between the monitor and the laptop) and on the right, the square black thing with the antennas is Router2 which I am trying to connect to the Router1. Now, why would I do that? Well, I am afraid there is no simpler way for my purpose. What I am trying to achieve is to watch my cameras from remote locations outside of the house via Internet. Now I can only watch them locally. I need the internet for the DVR right? The DVR is just far away from Router1. I can not bring the DVR closer to Router1 in the other room because there are cables attached to the DVR and they are not that long AND I can not connect the DVR to Router1 via LAN cable because I do not have a LAN cable that long (actual distance between the DVR and Router1 is about 6-7 meters). So what to do in my situation? My initial idea was (and still is) to set Router2 as an extender and thereby plug the LAN cable from the DVR into Router2. This will make establishing an internet connection possible. If there are other options for my purpose, please let me know.

Attachments

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can't connected room 1 to room 2 with a physical network cable, then yes you might be able to use the wireless router in room 2 as a wireless bridge to connect to the wireless router in room 1. You need to log into the admin web page of the router in room 2 and set it up for "Wireless Bridge" mode. (The exact name may be different from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it should be similar). You'll need to enter the wifi credentials of the wifi network being used on the router in room 1. Then you will be able to plug in devices into the LAN ports on the room 2 device and they should have internet access.

Wireless is generally less reliable and slower than a hardwired connection, so your actual experience using the wireless bridge may or may not be up to the task. There is also a maximum amount of data that you'll be able to reliably send over the wireless bridge.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can not bring the DVR closer to Router1 in the other room because there are cables attached to the DVR and they are not that long AND I can not connect the DVR to Router1 via LAN cable because I do not have a LAN cable that long (actual distance between the DVR and Router1 is about 6-7 meters). So what to do in my situation?
So the cost or availability of a 7m Ethernet cable is the only reason why you cannot use the quickest, cheapest, most reliable means to connect the DVR in Room2 to a LAN port on Router1 in Room1?

What is the exact make and model of Router2 near the DVR? As stated above (and in my first post) it can be done but it also depends on Router2's ability to be set up on a bridge mode or client mode (as some call it).

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
Wireless is generally less reliable and slower than a hardwired connection, so your actual experience using the wireless bridge may or may not be up to the task. There is also a maximum amount of data that you'll be able to reliably send over the wireless bridge.
Thanks for your reply. I am left with the impression that for the purpose I have and the circumstances in my case, I have no other option but to proceed with setting Router2 as an Extender or "Wireless Bridge" as you said.

So the cost or availability of a 7m Ethernet cable is the only reason why you cannot use the quickest, cheapest, most reliable means to connect the DVR in Room2 to a LAN port on Router1 in Room1?

What is the exact make and model of Router2 near the DVR? As stated above (and in my first post) it can be done but it also depends on Router2's ability to be set up on a bridge mode or client mode (as some call it).
Well, it is not the cost but the inconvenience of this cable being attached to the walls and going under the door. You see, I don't really have a good way to hide this 7 m LAN cable under a wall or under the carpet. Very annoying I know.

Both Routers are TP-Link. Router1 is Archer AX73/AX5400, Router2 is C54/AC1200. I watched YouTube videos on how to connect an extender router to a main router. So far tried the following:
1. Connected to Router2 2. Changed it to and rebooted since I don't want to have two routers for the same IP.
3. For 2.4GHz, changed the channel, to 9 in my case.
4. Disabled the DHCP on Router2, set it to Disable.
5. Added the Network name, established PPPoE connection with the user name and password by the ISP.
6. Set Router2 as an Extender router in the Options tab.

Should have worked but it didn't. I am missing something, or skipping something or doing something wrongly. Still puzzled how to proceed.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Both Routers are TP-Link. Router1 is Archer AX73/AX5400, Router2 is C54/AC1200. I watched YouTube videos on how to connect an extender router to a main router. So far tried the following:
1. Connected to Router2 2. Changed it to and rebooted since I don't want to have two routers for the same IP.
3. For 2.4GHz, changed the channel, to 9 in my case.
4. Disabled the DHCP on Router2, set it to Disable.
5. Added the Network name, established PPPoE connection with the user name and password by the ISP.
6. Set Router2 as an Extender router in the Options tab.

Should have worked but it didn't. I am missing something, or skipping something or doing something wrongly. Still puzzled how to proceed.
If step 5 is being done on the room 2 device, then I don't beleive this is what you want to do. The device in room 2 should have not direct connection to your internet provider. You should not have to enter any ISP login credentials or anything else related to your ISP you might have set up on the router in room 1. All the router in room two is doing is creating a wireless bridge between it and the router in room 1. The router in room 1 is acting as a gateway between your ISP provider and your local network. It will be the only gateway on the network.

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
If step 5 is being done on the room 2 device, then I don't beleive this is what you want to do. The device in room 2 should have not direct connection to your internet provider. You should not have to enter any ISP login credentials or anything else related to your ISP you might have set up on the router in room 1. All the router in room two is doing is creating a wireless bridge between it and the router in room 1. The router in room 1 is acting as a gateway between your ISP provider and your local network. It will be the only gateway on the network.
OK, it makes sense. I will try all the steps omitting step 5. I think I even tried that way (by skipping step 5) and it still didn't work but I am not sure. Will try it and see if it works.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Really the only thing you should hopefully have to enter into the router in room 2 is the Wifi network credentials from router 1 that you are trying to connect to. Of course that depends on how "good" the gui/guide is on the routers to set up a Wireless Bridge. I've seen some devices that did this very well, but obviously it depends on the software. If the software isn't good, then you might have to make all of the appropriate setup changes manually.

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. But even if I bought a 7 m long LAN cable to connect the DVR to Router1 just to have it connected and set the settings, once I unplug the LAN cable everything will stop functioning, right? There is no point in doing anything like that for the sake of my purpose. Therefore, that is the reason I do all the craziness with Router2. It is a tough way but I don't think I have a choice.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct. If you want to use the device in room two as a switch that is physically connected to the router in room 1, that connection must be maintained. In that scenario, If you unplug the "switch" in room 2 from the router in room 1, everything connected to the switch in room 2 will loose it's connection to the internet and any other device connected to the router in room 1.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the online manual it's not apparent that Router2 (the C54/AC1200) has a bridge or client mode. If it does, it's well disguised.
You may be right. The C54 does have a "Range Extender" mode (which is what you want to use Mauldin), but I'm not sure the local LAN ports are active in this mode (the manual never states that they are active, but they never say they aren't either. The internet seems to be split equally as to whether they work or not).

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. It is shown in the owners manual that it works in a Range Extender Mode. Is there anything in the LAN ports settings I have to change or set? Can't see anything specific in the owners manual.

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question: After I am finished with setting Router2, do I connect Router2 to Router1 via the Ethernet cable?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. It is shown in the owners manual that it works in a Range Extender Mode. Is there anything in the LAN ports settings I have to change or set? Can't see anything specific in the owners manual.
I don' t think there are any LAN settings that you need to worry about. If they work, then consider yourself lucky. If they don't work while in "Range Extender" mode, then this particular device is not going to work as you want it to.

If it doesn't work, you may have to switch devices. Put the C54 in room 1 as your main router and move the AX73 into room 2. Again there is no guarantee that either device will work as you desire however.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick question: After I am finished with setting Router2, do I connect Router2 to Router1 via the Ethernet cable?
No. This is a an either or kind of thing. Either you are going to use device 2 as a switch and leave it connected to device 1 via a ethernet cable 100% of the time, or you are going to use device 2 as a wireless bridge and it connects to device 1 via Wifi.

Maudlin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Let me see how things work tomorrow, since it is just before Midnight here and I will let you know if you could be of any further help. Your help so far is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If by chance you can't get it going, there's this: apparently you have access to TP-LINK products. I've used close to a dozen of their TL-WR802N portable, multi-mode wireless devices to give a wired-only devices wireless ability such a laser printers and older gaming consoles, by using it's "client" mode. There's also a dual band version, the TL-WR902AC.

You connect it to your LAN, run the wizard, select "client" mode, give it a unique static IP (in the same subnet as the wireless router or access point you want to connect to but outside of the router's DHCP pool and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway IP equal to the LAN IP of the Internet-connected router), have it scan for the SSID of the wireless router, select that and enter the wireless password. It will connect to the Wi-Fi. Move its Ethernet cable over to the NVR/DVR which is either in DHCP mode or, like the WR702, has a unique static IP in the same subnet as the router but outside the router's DHCP pool.

TL-802N features

TL-802N Users Manual

TL-WR702N-client-mode.jpg TP-LINK_WR802n.jpg

___

TL-WR902AC features

TL-WR902AC Users Manual

TL-WR902AC-client-mode.jpg