Connection issue

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Frankly I'm confused.

When my new 2 * 49425xb-hnr cams arrived I connected to my laptop via a spare switch and changed the IP addresses.
Fitted into place.
One works.

However the other, I can't access the damn thing.

Config tools can't find it through the network, nor does it show in my router.

After a bit of swearing I've done the following.

Connected to switch directly onto my laptop.
Cam shows it's getting power from the switch (green light), data is being transferred (flicking yellow)
Cam twitching in its position - facing the wall.
No joy connecting.....

More swearing

Opened the back of the cam and hit reset for 15 seconds, power still on.

Laptop connected by cable to switch
Cam only other device connected to switch (3 other cams removed)
Switch re-booted - disconnected from wifi mesh node
Laptop set to only connect through ethernet, mask adapter changed to 192.168.1.2
Config tool still can't find, search set to 192.168.1.1-255 mask
ONVIF search doesn't find
Fing does find a device at 192.168.1.108 - default for Dahua!
192.168.1.108 unable to connect through either Firefox or Edge browsers
Laptop doesn't connect to cam through ping

Can anyone suggest another step or two?

Cheers!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 49425 is very sensitive to browser. If you have Internet Explorer that will be best as the make time for autotracking will default to 15 seconds with any other browser.

Here is how most of us setup the camera initially:

To save you some time, the cameras come with an IP address of 192.168.1.108

Most of us don't use the config tool because it seems to cause more problems than it is worth.

Here is how most of us get the cameras to the IP address of our system:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1672063957334.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj : I've done all that, except use IE. The first of the pair is OK, it's just this second one.... I'll report back.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just tried IE; no joy. Used a separate switch - still shows power and signal through to the cam - but nothing, as yet, identifies the cam on-line.... Next try a standby router to see if that helps. Running out of options as Fing now doesn't find the cam on 192.168.1.108 - which it did before (perhaps IP scanner also finds ghost devices from network connections no longer used!)

But I have, after 6 weeks, got a previously 'dead' Dahua PTZ working! The above was purchased in replacement - Annoyingly I thought (wrong/right) reset button inside the cam was a hard factory reset - seems not, this cam retained its original address..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK let's swing for the fences LOL.

Unplug power.

Press and hold in reset button

Apply power

Hold reset button for 1 minute

Let go of reset button.

I have got several cameras to become responsive with a long hold, multi-reboot procedure.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Chuckles - will do, but I'll have to bring it in to do it justice!

I tried that yesterday - maybe not for a full minute - but at least a count to 35.... ;-)

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Brought in, but not yet looked into.

The older one I put in its place.
It worked indoors, but won't outdoors - it seems it needs an external power source, then it will function - doable but not in current position some 100 metre from the house.....
Brand new cable! Been out and double-checked the connection to camera.

POE tested, switch reports a fault at 97 metres...mmmm! Fault at the camera which would explain why it'll work with external 12V....

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Although I have a PTZ on cable at 105metres working OK - perhaps this particular one doesn't like the length..... Might be an explanation.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah at those distances you are pushing the limits of POE distance. Then you throw in the power hungry PTZ camera instead of a fixed camera.

What we have seen is that every camera is different and maybe this problem camera circuits are such that it needs a higher minimum power than the other.

We have seen folks come here with two of the exact same model bought at the same time sitting side by side and one is drawing 3-4 watts more than the other. That can make a difference whether it works or not over a longer run.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's what I intend to do this morning, after I get the new 425 back to factory reset so I can access the gui.

(This 225 was originally on a 15 metre cable until it malfunctioned).

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 425 is showing on the network router, even at 100 metres.

The web page is accessible at 2 and 18 metres - but 100 metres it's not.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 225, whether at 100, 18 or 2 metres always shorts out equivalent to the end of the cable.

It'll work with direct 12V power.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What cable did you use? It must be Solid Copper cable, and not CCA, Copper Clad Aluminum.
For that distance it would be advisable to use 23awg size cable as well.