Connection problems and pinout question

Tim Veer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

Having some trouble with a DS-2CD3335-i Dome camera (this is a Chinese version)

Initially the camera worked when testing and once the 100' of cable was run, camera connected and plugged in - nothing! Actually the Cisco Catalyst PoE switch locked it down and disabled the port.

Next day, same cable (after pulling to ensure it wasn't a cable issue) camera worked - and then not!

Pulled the dome apart and test the wires from the RJ45 to the molex. Seems a weird connection but can someone verify this: (these were the connected wires)

RJ45 molex
Orange/white 1 orange & 2 white
Orange 1 orange & 2 white
Green/white no connection
Blue 4 grey & 5 purple
Blue/white no connection
Green 3 green & 6 blue
Brown/white 7 brown & 8 white
Brown 7 brown & 8 white

I tested this with a pigtail on the RJ45 side and a multi-tester. Is this a correct wiring setup? It seems odd to me and perhaps this is the reason for the odd disconnects.

Incidentally this was the camera that I was unable to do a password reset (it always failed) but after sitting on a shelf for 6 months, I was able to login again using the original password...

All internal plugs and ribbon are secure.

Any insight is appreciated,
Cheers,
Tim

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any insight is appreciated,
Most likely the long cable is not wired correctly - the twisted pairs have not been maintained.
Is it wired to the T568B standard? A simple continuity tester will not confirm that - it just confirms that pin 1 at one end goes to pin 1 at the other etc.

Tim Veer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Alastair,

Thanks for tge input. The CAT5 cables are good, i always crimp & test my own. The cables work fine on the other dome & bullets, it's just this one.
My earlier message didn't format like I hoped, but the connected wires from the RJ45 plug to the molex seemed strange. I wondered if anyone had a list of which pin on the RJ45 plug connected to which pin on the molex.

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What wiring standard did you use for the cable?
The wiring colours inside the camera are arbitrary and vary with the manufacturer.

A normal cable tester cannot know that the wiring scheme is correct - just that pin 1 goes to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2 etc and that there are no opens and shorts.

Tim Veer

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair,
My cables are always done to the T568B standard.
I was actually trying to find out on the Hik camera which pin on the RJ45 plug was wired to which pin on the molex.
It seems odd that the blue & blue-white are power lines, but the blue-white doesn't connect to anything. In fact both green-white and blue-white are not connected to anything on the molex.

Either I'll try to do a drawing to better explain or I'll have to climb and pull another one to test it here.

Just to clarify, the camera doesn't work on any cat5, whether I build it or use a commercial cable.

Cheers

Last edited:

Tim Veer

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is an image representing how the wires are connected from the Hik camera's pigtail and the molex plug inside the camera.

Dropbox - Hik plug.jpg
(I couldn't figure out how to upload an image, so here's a link to dropbox)

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Note: wire colors on the image mean nothing, they are just to clarify which wires connect where

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an image representing how the wires are connected from the Hik camera's pigtail and the molex plug inside the camera.
Did you disconnect the internal plug in the camera when checking the connections? Whilst still connected, the ethernet transformer will join 2 pairs of wires.

The colours Hikvision use might vary amongst models - I've not studied enough to know if they do or not.
These are my notes when replacing a pigtail on a DS-2CD2332 I bought that had a corroded RJ45 end.

Code:
T568B               Hik cable
1   orange/white  1   orange
2   orange        2   yellow
3   green/white   3   green
4   blue          4   grey
5   blue/white    5   purple
6   green         6   blue
7   brown/white   7   brown
8   brown         8   white
.                 9
.                 10
.                 11   12v outer
.                 12   12v inner

Tim Veer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Alastair,

Thanks for the info. I *sheepishly grinning* did not disconnect the molex when I was testing it, but seeing as two of the cables failed to continuity test anyhow, it must be an issue somewhere in the cable. Let's hope it was just a screw up and the RJ45 end.

Once I get it done, I'll send an update to see if the wire colors concur with yours.

Cheers

Tim Veer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Alastair,

Thanks for the help, cam is back up and alive. It seems there was some issue in the pigtail where the ethernet & 12v come together. When the cable transitioned from solid core to stranded, I think there was a break that was joining/separating when the camera was moved. The break was on both the blue-white & green-white cables.

Your color guide was spot on.

Replaced the end plug with a new one and "Bob's your uncle" works like new!

Thanks again!