Considering Cisco SF250-48HP PoE switch. Bad choice?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been looking at POE switches for months and finally just need to pull the trigger on one.

Do you see any obvious red flags using a Cisco SF250-48HP for $40 locally on CL? It would be used only for my 8 IP cams (plus a few additional ones in the future), so I obviously don't need 48 ports, but the specs say the unused ports are powered down to "save energy." It has 2 gigabit ports and a web interface. Fan noise shouldn't be an issue in a closet in the basement unless it really screams. I'm fine with old enterprise switches that are being retired. Here are the photos from the listing. Thanks!

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been looking at POE switches for months and finally just need to pull the trigger on one.

Do you see any obvious red flags using a Cisco SF250-48HP for $40 locally on CL? It would be used only for my 8 IP cams (plus a few additional ones in the future), so I obviously don't need 48 ports, but the specs say the unused ports are powered down to "save energy." It has 2 gigabit ports and a web interface. Fan noise shouldn't be an issue in a closet in the basement unless it really screams. I'm fine with old enterprise switches that are being retired. Here are the photos from the listing. Thanks!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as it works it will be fine. I’ve bought plenty HPE switches on eBay second hand. They are all still in service.

Just login to its web interface and factory reset it when you get it in.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t mean to complicate your decision, but I’ve had good luck with HP ProCurve PoE switches. They aren’t silent, but not too loud as I have mine located in the garage. You can generally find many eBay ProCurve switches for very reasonable cost. You can download HP data and installation documents on HP’s website. This is the third iteration of the one I bought on eBay :

HP ProCurve J9624A 2620-24 Ethernet Switch 12-Port PoE, 12-Port Non-PoE 885631711385 | eBay

My first HP ProCurve was an 8 port PoE, then I went to a 12/24 PoE (12 ports PoE), and this last one is a 12/24 PoE+ (12 ports PoE+ 128W max). If you think you might buy a PTZ at some point consider getting a PoE+ switch. These also have a Gigabit uplink port.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don’t mean to complicate your decision, but I’ve had good luck with HP ProCurve PoE switches. They aren’t silent, but not too loud as I have mine located in the garage. You can generally find many eBay ProCurve switches for very reasonable cost. You can download HP data and installation documents on HP’s website. This is the third iteration of the one I bought on eBay :

HP ProCurve J9624A 2620-24 Ethernet Switch 12-Port PoE, 12-Port Non-PoE 885631711385 | eBay

My first HP ProCurve was an 8 port PoE, then I went to a 12/24 PoE (12 ports PoE), and this last one is a 12/24 PoE+ (12 ports PoE+ 128W max). If you think you might buy a PTZ at some point consider getting a PoE+ switch. These also have a Gigabit uplink port.
Thanks, @spencnor, great info! I've definitely looked at those ProCurves on eBay over the past few months. Have you used the web interface for configuration? I don't know much about networking so advanced config is over my head, but I'd hope I can set up the basics.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, @spencnor, great info! I've definitely looked at those ProCurves on eBay over the past few months. Have you used the web interface for configuration? I don't know much about networking so advanced config is over my head, but I'd hope I can set up the basics.
Advanced networking is way over my head too! I just perform a simple default reset and just plug everything in. The reset procedure is explained in the HP installation documents you can download.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Advanced networking is way over my head too! I just perform a simple default reset and just plug everything in. The reset procedure is explained in the HP installation documents you can download.
This. I don’t ever log into the management interfaces anymore. Only did it to reset them once I purchased them.

Unless you are running multiple VLANS there is no reason to use the management interface at all. Just plug and go.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just met the seller at McDonalds this morning and picked it up for $30. I'll reset it and test it out this weekend. If it doesn't work, if its too loud, or sucks too much power, then I'll have a look at the HP ProCurves on eBay. Thanks everyone for your help!

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How’s the power usage?
Seems negligible so far. The watt meter on the power strip jumped from 215 watts to 230 watts after I plugged it in with a few cameras. One of these days I'll move the watt meter from the whole power strip to just the switch and see what it reads.

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems negligible so far. The watt meter on the power strip jumped from 215 watts to 230 watts after I plugged it in with a few cameras. One of these days I'll move the watt meter from the whole power strip to just the switch and see what it reads.
Good info, thanks for replying.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Why are they so cheap? High consumption when idle?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
They are used items, and in the 'enterprise' environments that they are targeted at, have been superseded by newer technology.
Despite being older designs, generally these types of switches are very feature-rich compared with those aimed at the home user.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are used items, and in the 'enterprise' environments that they are targeted at, have been superseded by newer technology.
Despite being older designs, generally these types of switches are very feature-rich compared with those aimed at the home user.
+1
HP’s datasheet states 22 watts at idle.

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score

I just bought the hp procurve 2620 recently. Any tips on how to configure it without a console port cable?

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought the hp procurve 2620 recently. Any tips on how to configure it without a console port cable?
Straight from HP's website:

You can restore the factory default configuration either on the switch itself, or through the switch console.
To execute the factory default reset on the switch, perform these steps:
1.Using pointed objects, simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear buttons on the front of the switch. The power and fault lights come on.
2.Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3.When the Self Test LED begins to flash, release the Clear button.The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with its configuration restored to the factory default settings.

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
Straight from HP's website:

You can restore the factory default configuration either on the switch itself, or through the switch console.
To execute the factory default reset on the switch, perform these steps:
1.Using pointed objects, simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear buttons on the front of the switch. The power and fault lights come on.
2.Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3.When the Self Test LED begins to flash, release the Clear button.The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with its configuration restored to the factory default settings.

Thanks Spencnor. I have been resetting this switch several times today to no avail following the same directions as you posted. I finally was able to reset it!

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just picked one of these up myself, seems pretty nice for $40. I’ve had to play for a few days to figure it out though, I’ve zero experience with these. This may be helpful.
https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/c/a/7/e/12197c16d394315157120a093f2cb5a0b6a1.pdf#page59
You should get the cable to at least set the password to it. You can pick up an HP one for a few dollars. If you have problems later with the password you can wipe it by holding the clear button for 1 second.
There is definitely a learning curve with this thing!!