Constant crashing after first time closed.

JerryCooke

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm at bit at my wits end with this. I've already emailed support but wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

About 48hrs after I first installed Blue Iris v5, which was working perfectly fine, I woke up to find it wasn't working. Checking I found that my service was going Starting > Running > Stopped over and over, but no luck. I disabled the service and tried to debug it, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, etc. Eventually I tried deleting the registry entry and this allowed it to launch. I tried restoring the settings and it went right back to crashing again. I then reinstalled Windows fresh and set everything up again from scratch. It was working fine for around 48hrs again and has just crashed with the same issue.

It's an entirely fresh and up to date Windows 10 build, has DeepStack on it and nothing else. Only three cameras, nothing at all fancy, and my monitoring says that it's not been in any way over taxed. I'm entirely at a loss as to what could be calling this and am a bit heartbroken since it's proven to be such a better system than what I'm used to so far. The crash reports don't tell me much, unfortunately..

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BlueIris.exe
Application Version: 5.4.7.11
Application Timestamp: 60c3cf97
Fault Module Name: BlueIris.exe
Fault Module Version: 5.4.7.11
Fault Module Timestamp: 60c3cf97
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000010b2fbe
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 28d2
Additional Information 2: 28d234a5e6c8ba930b84c9a8794e1613
Additional Information 3: b4c0
Additional Information 4: b4c0a783b1747de41592ce65fd197505

I just set it up fresh for the 3rd time. Got everything working, then closed it and re-opened it and found that the same issue was occurring.

I wiped the registry again and since I'd made a back-up before doing anything else I restored the backup which caused the issue to resume.

Since the issue had presented itself after crashes the first two times when it had been running as a service already, it seems like it's something happening after the cameras are added and set up.

JerryCooke

n3wb
Reaction score
To follow up, I've set everything back up for a 4th time and things are working without issue again, I did a shut down and reopen to confirm that the process will start up properly, then did a backup, then enabled the service. I'm hoping this time there won't be any issues, but I didn't do anything different, so who knows.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing to try is disabling hardware acceleration on all the cams and then enable on one cam at a time and test.
This is a common reason for crashing - when the pc doesnt support HA for 265 and the camera is set to 265. To test simply unplug the power from the camera.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It may be a bug in that version as well based on your particular setup. HA seems to be an issue with many.

My computer wouldn't even let me open Task Manager and said I was out of memory, despite the app showing my computer wasn't even at half the memory.

JerryCooke

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a common reason for crashing. To test simply unplug the power from the camera.
That's a good tip, thank you. To be safe, while everything appears to be working, I've created a backup with acceleration turned off on all the cameras just in case in I need to revert back to it. I'll see if it stays stable this time round and troubleshoot if it crashes again.

It may be a bug in that version as well.
I tried to both go up and down versions to see if there was any difference, but regardless of version once I restored the backup, it wouldn't start back up again. Small mercy is that with only three cameras, it doesn't take all that long to add everything back in, but I really don't want to have to do it every two days in an unpredictable manner.