Consumers Need To Stop Buying Consumer-rated Junk

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL consumer rated junk these days were called snake oil in the good ol days. Snake oil is always around. You can't stamp it out.

Reaction score
TBF the employee concern was more about misuse & abuse and sharing with government entities running counter to “free society”....but still.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The the employee concern was more about misuse & abuse and sharing with government entities running counter to “free society”....but still.
Hi @crw030

"The privacy issues are not fixable with regulation and there is no balance that can be struck," Eliaser said.

Having thought about this subject quite a bit since the following thread:
Police Need Access To My NVR Remotely

After much thought I have to concur with that Amazon Engineer.

I simply just do not see how this will not be abused by those in authority positions. The costs are carried now largely by the individual and no longer does a bureaucrat have to make a significant decision to very deploy limited resources to accomplish this. Recall the days when setting up a camera to monitor a house 247 required a truck roll and a team of 4-6 officers. No longer do they need to call out to all departments to establish a large dragnet to capture fleeing suspects ( gps on phones and cars now allow near pinpoint accuracy for known suspects ). All of this now can be done very cost effectively.

We can see just here in our tiny forum how much pressure is put on us to comply with allowing the state to over reach and have access to resources which they have not traditionally had. It is almost as if authorities and others feel they are entitled to access to MY LAN, into MY castle and files. With all of the massive amounts of privately / citizen funded tech gadgets which greatly increase the power of the state the balance has completely tipped. ( seriously, had I wanted to pay to have the state in my home / castle / LAN i would have bought and deployed ring cameras .. )

jeffreytp

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree. Most folks that do not have security cameras, but desire them, do not really know why they want them. They do not really care about the purpose of those cameras. They think "Ok, I think I need cameras, but I do not know what I really need and do not want to research it. I just want to buy something and be done with it".

Case in point: Had door checkers come through the neighborhood one night which got into a few cars (not mine) and took stuff. I had good video of them and posted it on NextDoor and gave it to the police. A guy down the street was very interested in my cameras so he came by to talk to me about it. I showed him the cameras, the BI computer, the POE switches, and discussed camera placement. He really did not want to get that deep into it. He just wanted to buy something, plug it in, and be done. I explained to him that the Nest/Ring/Arlo stuff will never get you the images that I got at night that the police looked at and said "Yeah, I know those guys". I think he went with a couple of Arlos, one at the front door and one on the fence pointing at the driveway.
if you don't mind me asking, which camera do you have that yielded great results?

Last edited:

jeffreytp

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. Bought from Andy.
thanks. I have one of these with a 2.8mm lens

I wonder how it compares.

Reaction score
thanks. I have one of these with a 2.8mm lens

I wonder how it compares.
Strange. The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE has a varifocal lens.

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Facebook has had tens of data breaches in the last 16 months. Why are people MORE annoyed about this? Buy consumer junk, hardware or software, your choice

LOL consumer rated junk these days were called snake oil in the good ol days. Snake oil is always around. You can't stamp it out.