CONTINUOUS FTP Backup possible?

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 8tb WD mycloud. It's local on my network. I've configured it as an FTP sight. BI is backing up into it fine every night. I have it configured to only back up between 3-4am.

Question is if I uncheck the "only back up between" such and such a time(3-4am)...is it supposed to back up continuously? I've unchecked the box and it definitely is not doing so. I looked all over, is there a check box to say "backup clips continuously?" Thanks for any help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone know?
First try unchecking combine and cut..a file cannot be up uploaded if it is still being written to...also you are better off writing directly to that drive simultaneous with your local recording...

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey again, Fenderman. Thanks. It's an FTP drive, so it's not a local drive I can just mirror or raid etc. Is there way to directly write to the FTP drive AND the local drive at the same time?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey again, Fenderman. Thanks. It's an FTP drive, so it's not a local drive I can just mirror or raid etc. Is there way to directly write to the FTP drive AND the local drive at the same time?
Never used one but can't it act like an attached drive or network drive? If so you can clone the cams and write to both...or use software to copy as files are written...

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Good call on the mapping of the FTP drive. I just did that...called it F: drive. I think I'll try to "clone" the cam now. I only have one cam so I think I saw somewhere a menu for "copy cam settings" or something. Will try! Thanks

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question @fenderman : When you clone the cams you effectively double the cpu hammering right? I have given some thought about secondary backup of my BI recordings in the event a burglar steals my server at my church. Offsite backup is out of the question. A hidden network drive is a possibility.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question @fenderman : When you clone the cams you effectively double the cpu hammering right? I have given some thought about secondary backup of my BI recordings in the event a burglar steals my server at my church. Offsite backup is out of the question. A hidden network drive is a possibility.
no, you should see little cpu increase, you will hide the cameras so that they dont duplicate on the screen and BI only pulls and processes one of the streams..if you cameras support sd card - install them..
alternatively use an nvr for backup..set it to simply record 24/7 - hide it...they are cheap...this also provides redundancy as it will work even if your BI server fails or after it is stolen/disabled...though generally desktop/server pc are not stolen and not thought of as NVR's to disable...dont over think it...if you cams support sd cards that should be sufficient...

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no, you should see little cpu increase, you will hide the cameras so that they dont duplicate on the screen and BI only pulls and processes one of the streams..if you cameras support sd card - install them..
alternatively use an nvr for backup..set it to simply record 24/7 - hide it...they are cheap...this also provides redundancy as it will work even if your BI server fails or after it is stolen/disabled...though generally desktop/server pc are not stolen and not thought of as NVR's to disable...dont over think it...if you cams support sd cards that should be sufficient...
Ok. All dahua starlights for now. I have purchased and started installing SDs. Guess that will suffice. Thanks

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk