Converting HikVision MP4 to standard MP4 or other format

Reaction score
I don't think there is a good answer. While I like Hikvision cameras, all of their software is terrible. <SNIP>
This is the first time I've used their (DS7608) NVR's, I normally use Digital Watchdog, (DW CUBE or BLADE mostly) their VMS software is really client friendly, works very well, and I can turn it over to a user and not worry about them getting on with it. I also use, or at least used to use, Hikvision cams with the DW installs because for the price (I get distribution in the US through Anixter/Tri-Ed, and sometimes ADI) they are a good camera. I say I used to, because about 8 months ago I installed another of their PTZs (I had a few of them out there before this one) and I don't mind setting up an ONVIF user as admin on the camera then telling the NVR to use that user/login for the camera, their latest firmware for that PTZ breaks ptz function on the camera for the DW vms software. Earlier installs of that ptz work (earlier, "friendlier" firmware?), but the latest doesn't, and their tech says something asinine like "well it's a problem with Digital Watchdog" and of course DW says "it's their camera ask them what they did". So no more Hik ptz. Now if I have to spin that one ptz I log into it with a browser and the browser will control ptz, but not the DW vms software. So it's interesting what you said that their s/w is crap and that maybe they don't want it to work with anything but their nvr's.

sandrahof

n3wb
Reaction score
I also thought about it. I usually edit and save videos in a standard format. But recently one couple ordered a video from a wedding. With editing, of course. But for some reason it was important for them to do everything in a certain format. For about three days I edited, substituted the music. Then I decided to download a free converter and chose OmniConverter. I never thought that a free application could be so functional. I downloaded it with the expectation that I would immediately delete it, but now I am sure that I will not dare to do this. Although I do not know if it will be necessary, but for yourself you can experiment.

Last edited:

naturecam

n3wb
Reaction score
I live in a nature preserve and my system is used mainly for nature monitoring, including nature trails, bird house cameras, dens, etc. I do a ton of downloading and have found that the Convert tool supplied with iVMS works 100% of the time. I edit using Adobe Premiere Elements or Magix and it runs on everything, including YouTube uploading. So that I'm prepared for a potential failure, I'd like to hear why others have had to use external applications to do what the supplied software appears to do very well. In what situation(s) does the Convert tool not function?

mycatjest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use handbrake, it's open source and free with a gui, I had CCTV to send to the police in a format they can read easily and also to upload onto facebook etc , it has batch convert. I would reccomend handbrake. It also comes with pre set templates for file, bit rate and format

Depending on your graphics card you can use the card in the conversion process , so rapidly speeding up conversion

ssregitoss

n3wb
Reaction score
Youı dont need to convert or transcode the file. Just use handbrake or xmediarecode and select stream only copy. it ill take only 1 second . the created file will be easy played by all players.