IP Cam Talk

Welcome to the new IPCT! If you are having an issue logging in, please clear your cookies / cache.

Converting HikVision MP4 to standard MP4 or other format

I found an old thread on this but there was no answer to the question. I'm pretty new with my HikVision NVR. When I use the client to download a file, the only thing I can play it on is the VSPlayer. There was a converter app included in the Zip file, but it does not work on files produced by the iVMS-4200 client. I'm really stuck here. Can anyone help?

marku2

Known around here
when you down load the file from ivms-4200
open vs player load that file in vs player
in the tool box you can then convert the file

Silas

Getting the hang of it
I use the k-lite codec pack that includes all the right codecs for a PC and also Media Player Classic and it plays my files of the NVR with no issues, easier than converting...

I use the k-lite codec pack that includes all the right codecs for a PC and also Media Player Classic and it plays my files of the NVR with no issues, easier than converting...
Thanks for the tip. My cameras are set up for nature observation, including putting a couple into birdhouses and owl houses. Being able to share video with other nature lovers is an essential element of the system.

I'm replying to my own thread in case it helps others in the future. online-convert.com seems to work well. I just set the output to MP4 and the resulting file seems to play on any standard player.

TJ01

n3wb
I currently save files from nvr to a lightning to usb stick then plug it into iPad or iPhone then use file converter app and change it to mp4 video that way. Then save to my cloud storage or in photo library and then can edit in iMovie or something similar.

I currently save files from nvr to a lightning to usb stick then plug it into iPad or iPhone then use file converter app and change it to mp4 video that way. Then save to my cloud storage or in photo library and then can edit in iMovie or something similar.
Thank you for the reply. What file converter app do you use?

Jeremy Spiering

Young grasshopper
Try FFMPEG. It will modify the MP4 so it can be played on any device/program that supports MP4 encoded in H.264 (or H.265 depending on your NVR and/or camera). Here is a command you can run to fix your MP4's:

ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -i video.mkv -c copy video_fixed.mkv

You can also create a batch file (Windows PC) that will run this command on all files in the same directory as the batch file. Create a file called "FixMP4s.bat" and put the following text in it:

for %%i in (*.mp4) do ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -i %%i -c copy %%~ni_fixed.mp4
pause

Then just copy your Hikvision downloaded MP4's into the directory of the batch file, and run it.

Download FFmpeg