Couple of camera suggestions

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I've placed a bunch of these around my property, and they've been great! They seem to do really well in low light, and in general I'm really happy with them. The areas where I've placed them, they're looking out over broad areas of the property.

I'm looking for suggestions on 2 cameras for more specific areas that may have somewhat unique requirements. The first is a porch camera. As you can see from the attached image, the porch is quite long and narrow. I have a camera integrated in the doorstation, but would like something that can see the area in front of the door. The camera will be about 9.5 feet high and completely sheltered from any weather. The second camera, is for the garage. In the image you can see the camera location. It's about 11 feet high. Ideally I'd like something with a fairly wide angle lens that will allow me to see as much of the garage as possible - all the entry points.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Ideally the camera for the porch would be black. For the garage, black or white would work.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why would you not use the same camera? I have a few of those (in white) and they are great. But if you are trying to get face ID, you are mounting too high.

You need to read the WIKI and Cliff Notes.
Maybe the same camera is the best way to go. I agree that they are great cameras. I’m not looking for face recognition or anything like that. I just didn’t know if due to the different viewing angles/field of view in these spaces if there was another product that might work better. That’s all.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Without face recognition how are your cameras any use? It's no good phoning the police and saying "well I've got an excellent shot of the top of his baseball cap". I think your confusing face recognition with facial recognition as in software based identification, as sometimes people use the terms interchangeably. The former is referring to your ability to be able to get a decent enough shot to be able to recognise who it is in the video. The latter is a software feature found primarily atm in the cameras of communist governments where the camera compares the person in the picture to a database and tries to identify them.

Facially you need to be able to obtain a good enough shot to allow you or law enforcement to identify any suspect. You won't get that with cameras mounted above 7 feet. The ideal mounting height is 6-7 feet. If you worried about interference, then you need to plan your cameras so each cameras is in the view of another camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Put the porch camera into "corridor" mode. That will rotate the viewing area 90 degrees, making it tall rather than wide

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I you want something lower-profile for the porch, you might consider these. Unsure if Andy has either in black, though:
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/Network-Cameras/WizSense-Series/3-Series/4MP/IPC-HDBW3441F-AS-M
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/Network-Cameras/Pro-Series/2-MP/IPC-HDBW4231F-AS?us

Some folks like the Active Deterrence models for the porch:
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-products/Network-Cameras/Pro-AI-Series/Active-Deterrence
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/Network-Cameras/Lite-Series/8-MP/IPC-HFW1831C-PIR?us

For your garage, since you want a wide-angle shot, I wouldn't bother spending extra for a varifocal. Take a look at the newer 5442 turret. It's got a great 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor that performs better in low light than the 2MP 1/2.8" sensor in the 5231 models.
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-oem-4mp-ai-cam-ipc-t5442tm-as-starlight.39203/

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
aristobrat, thank you - that's great advice! Through BlueIris I can do things with the lights when motion is detected...I don't know that the active deterrent is appealing. I like the 2.8MM wide angle camera though in white.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Without face recognition how are your cameras any use? It's no good phoning the police and saying "well I've got an excellent shot of the top of his baseball cap". I think your confusing face recognition with facial recognition as in software based identification, as sometimes people use the terms interchangeably. The former is referring to your ability to be able to get a decent enough shot to be able to recognise who it is in the video. The latter is a software feature found primarily atm in the cameras of communist governments where the camera compares the person in the picture to a database and tries to identify them.

Facially you need to be able to obtain a good enough shot to allow you or law enforcement to identify any suspect. You won't get that with cameras mounted above 7 feet. The ideal mounting height is 6-7 feet. If you worried about interference, then you need to plan your cameras so each cameras is in the view of another camera.
Thanks for the reply, but I don't want the cameras for the police to "identify a perp". Obviously that's a side benefit, but I just like to keep an eye on what's going as I travel a bunch, have a bunch of kids and a swimming pool and hot tub. It's more around convenience for me to see if someone is in the garage before I remotely close it, or if there's a package on the porch, if my mother-in-law is parked in the driveway, etc...

I don't envision these cameras providing footage that identifies a high profile fugitive. If someone comes here with ill intent whatever plays out will play out. The cameras aren't for that.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems a bit of as waste when putting them in anyway. What if you're watching and some pervert abducts a kid from by the swimming pool? Well yes officer the footage was a Nike baseball cap and blue on top. Good luck retrieving your child. Makes sense to me to mount them a little lower and have both protection and observation. However, they're your cameras and your children / property.

Reaction score