Covered Porch Install Locations

JustAnotherCameraGuy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Howdy folks. I'm relatively new here and have been reading and learning a ton over the last few weeks. Starting to put together my proposed install locations and wanted to get some feedback for possible front porch install locations. I have been using the JVSG IP Camera Design Tool to get a rough idea on coverage and angles for targets. I understand my mounting heights are just slightly on the higher side but I am trying to offset that by distancing the cameras from their targets to reduce the angle.

A few extra details you will need...the porch is lit at night but light reflection into cameras 1 and 2 should not be an issue, the two lights on either side of the door are covered downlights. The center light is a recessed light. The covered patio has a fairly deep lip all the way around so camera 1 will only have visibility of the covered porch area. Here's my thinking and please correct me as needed! :)

Camera 1 - Soffit Departure Incognito
  • Purpose - General porch overwatch, watch front door and provide security for cameras 2 and 3.
  • Desire - This camera would not be visible from approach due to the lip around the covered porch. I want something that does not stand out, out of sight out of mind camera, considering using a small manual PTZ here such as the SD1A203T-GN or SD1A404XB-GNR
  • Mounting height - approximately 9-10ft
  • Soffit or porch beam install
Camera 2 - Soffit Approach
  • Purpose - Porch overwatch for incoming foot traffic, possible face identification
  • Leaning towards a 5442 varifocal here
  • Mounting height - approximately 9-10ft
  • Soffit install
Camera 3 - Doorbell
  • Purpose - Possible face identification
  • Mounting height - standard doorbell height
  • Do not currently have RJ45 at this location
  • Will need 35 degree mounting wedge
Additional notes: I understand a booby cam or similar would be more desirable for position 3 but it's not going to happen, my wife will never go for something like that in this location. I have some other less conspicuous locations where I can get a camera down lower for approaching foot traffic.

1671656455462.png

1671657003892.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@JustAnotherCameraGuy I have both versions of the above PTZ. The 2MP version will have better night performance than 4MP since both have same len (1/2.8”)

These PTZ are small so good for this scenario.

I think the key is whether you choose to force color mode at night (which I do, especially since my front porch is always lighted). For color, your night time lighting will determine the quality of your security footage, especially when intruder is in motion.

For face recognition, best to have your "doorbell" camera below face height since people tend to look downward when walking up to house or they have a cap/hat which can limit your ability to catch face if your camera is too high.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 2 cameras on my front foyer. A Dahua VTO villa intercom & camera at 4' height that has fisheye lens, which works out great to catch faces at close range (which was the image used to catch my tire slasher by the authorities). Also, I needed to repurpose an older 4231 so put it upper corner on the same wall as the VTO so it can catch a general view (packages, if someone tries for door/window entry, etc).

I have the same format as your #2 and #3 camera. Do not see a need for that #1 camera.

JustAnotherCameraGuy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Camera #1 is probably not needed but I remember reading a suggestion (from this post) to have a camera pointed at the front door so that's the role of #1. More importantly, it will have #2 and #3 in FOV for security.

I've never played with the manual PTZ's but I understand they can move (and zoom?) to preset locations based on events such as a tripwire. I may use this to zoom in slightly on the door area if a tripwire is triggered by someone walking past the stairs. Camera #1 also offers a different angle to capture a face as they turn around.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Camera #1 is probably not needed but I remember reading a suggestion (maybe a post or cliff notes) to have a camera pointed at the front door so that's the role of #1. More importantly, it will have #2 and #3 in FOV for security.

I've never played with the manual PTZ's but I understand they can move (and zoom?) to preset locations based on events such as a tripwire. I may use this to zoom in slightly on the door area if a tripwire is triggered by someone walking past the stairs. Camera #1 also offers a different angle to capture a face as they turn around.
if someone comes at your door with harmful intentions, I would expect 98% would have face coverings or baseball hat while looking down to avoid high-placed cameras. Your #3 camera is perfect location for this. Hence, i still think #1 cam is pointless. But hay.... I wish I could put 10 cameras dedicated to my front foyer alone :) and then a gimmick that pretended to do a body scan like in a sci-fi movie.
I will also admit I have 2 interior cameras: living room and stairwell, that see the front door if someone comes in un-announced. Maybe that is why cliff notes has that #1 position: to catch what happens after door or window entry.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The way I'm looking at your diagram, camera #1 would also be good for any packages, etc.. left right at your door. I have the 4mp version of this PTZ, with my porch lights on I leave it color mode 24/7.

JustAnotherCameraGuy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The way I'm looking at your diagram, camera #1 would also be good for any packages, etc.. left right at your door. I have the 4mp version of this PTZ, with my porch lights on I leave it color mode 24/7.
do you have any night stills from that cam you could share?

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Take a look at the Dahua Wedge camera, on the Dahua Mount, PFA130 or PFA139 I believe, makes a very small camera with a good wife approval factor.

Last edited: