Covert install to protect domestic property, looking for hardware recommendations

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The same concept applies whether it sees IR or not. But usually you need to run slower shutter on full color type cameras unless you have a lot of light. And then the advantage of full color is lost with blurry motion.

Yeah the Hiks can be a little more difficult to dial in. The gain can only be accessed under a certain scenario.

It looks like your gain is too high and that will wash out a face and cause what looks like blur.

StupidMe

n3wb
Reaction score
I've turned on WDR and set it to 20. Seems to be helping, the quality seems to vary depending on where the person is. I also turned the noise reduction down, but I'm not sure if this is too much noise now though? It sounds like the main problem is a lack of lighting as I only have one light set up at the moment, I've been meaning to sort them for a while but I was being fussy on which lights I liked the look of, and then when I picked some I never got round to putting them up, so I'll look at setting them up tomorrow as it is too dark now to turn the electricity off.

1647456355737.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks better, but watch WDR at night. It can be problematic at night and add artifacts. Be sure to test it with motion.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've turned on WDR and set it to 20. Seems to be helping, the quality seems to vary depending on where the person is. I also turned the noise reduction down, but I'm not sure if this is too much noise now though?
A good way I find to check the effect of lowering NR is to zoom in on an area where you tend to see more. Do a finer adjustment there.

It sounds like the main problem is a lack of lighting as I only have one light set up at the moment
Likely so. A little more light with a good cam can go a long way.