CPU change or GT 710

Amiga1200

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
i need help. I´ve been searching and reading a lot of posts, but i doesn´t found the right answer.

I´ve got Blue Iris running on a Dell R230, Xeon E3-1200 V5, W2016 Server on a ESXI.
Actuall 3 Cams, two h.264 and one h.265. The CPU-Load with 2 Threads ~50%. Yes i can raise the the Cores and Threats even more.
But the question is, i want generally reduce the CPU-Load.

Should i change the CPU to a Xeon E3-1225 v6 with Quick-Sync (Passthrough the EXSI to the W2016)
or it´s possible to reduce with an Gefoce GT 710? I´ve got only an PCI x8.

I want to increase the nuber of cameras to 6. (More H.265)

Thanks for the help.
CU

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy a 5th generation or newer desktop machine, business class and used with Win10 Pro on it, from eBay, Dell or HP. The cost will be less than a new CPU and it'll use far less power than the Xenon. An i5, 5th generation or newer, will more than support six cameras easily. Also try using sub streams for your cameras. That will significantly lower CPU utilization even for your space heater Xeon.

Amiga1200

n3wb
Reaction score
Thx sebastiantombs.

New idea. it is possible to install Intel Core i3 6100 series. Would be this a alternative?

CPU supported:
  • Intel E3-1200 v5 or v6 series
  • Intel Core i3 6100 series
  • Intel Celeron G3900 series
  • Intel Celeron G3930
  • Intel Pentium G4500 series
  • Intel Pentium G4600 series

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I said an i5 for specific reasons the primary one being capability. Read the information in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if he has Substream enabled. I wonder why BI cam system is on 2 threads. Obviously we more experienced folks see that Xeon system as a drawback. I had BI on a GT-710 initially due to hardware compatibility needs with my systems.
But when I found a Display port to DVI adapter, and removed the GT 710, the BI was much snappier. (more responsive). But my Cpu is i7-3770S with nothing else running. so i don't know if we are Apples to Apples comparison or not.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A GT 710 card will not help one bit in that setup. Xeon E3-1225 v6 is also a very weak CPU by modern standards, not worth paying actual money for. Not when you can buy a complete working small form factor system with a more powerful CPU for less than the retail price of that CPU.

Just follow this guide, emphasis on the sub streams, and that should reduce the load. But I do not recommend you reduce the cores allocated to the virtual machine. There will still be spikes of higher usage when you are remote viewing for example, and you don't ever want Blue Iris to not have the resources it needs. If you need to free up cores for other VMs, then either upgrade the VM server more substantially ($$$$) or move Blue Iris to its own dedicated system. Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, that is why I said it won't help one bit ;). I used to buy those for their video outputs but today they are just too underpowered. Most onboard graphics are substantially better and since PCs are often used for video consumption, it doesn't make much sense to buy a GPU that doesn't support video decoding acceleration.