CPU & Memory maxed out

Reaction score
Hey guys, need your help here. I've gone thru the search and read the other posts and tried their suggestions.

Here are the specs on my Blue Iris (BI Version 5.5.9.6) server:
  • i9-9900K,
  • 32 GB of RAM,
  • 500 GB Drive (for Windows 10 OS),
  • 12 TB Drive (for recordings),
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (driver Version 31.0.15.1694 Studio Driver),
  • 26 cameras, 11 of the camera are using the Nvidia NVDEC (for Deep Stack), the remaining cameras are using the Intel +VPP.
  • Windows 10 Pro 21H1 OS Build 19043.1949
With the 1080 Ti, I originally started with the GRD and that maxed out my RAM. I switched the SD driver and that reduced my RAM but the VRAM is still maxed, (the 1080 Ti has 11GB).
All cameras are direct to disc. It was running very efficiently up until I decided to give DeepStack a try.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1662034342941.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use sub streams on all cameras. Shut off all hardware acceleration for all cameras. I use DeepStack on about 12 cameras, sub streams and no hardware acceleration. CPU utilization by BI is generally in the 5-8 percent range at about 300MP/ps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Use sub streams on all cameras. Shut off all hardware acceleration for all cameras. I use DeepStack on about 12 cameras, sub streams and no hardware acceleration. CPU utilization by BI is generally in the 5-8 percent range at about 300MP/ps.
Thanks for the reply. I have sub stream on but when I shut off all hardware acceleration, the CPU usage shot up. I reduced the number of cameras using DeepStack to 8 cameras, that seem to reduce the CPU utilization but I would like them running on at least 10 cameras. Do you think this could be type of cameras causing it? I have a mix of Amcrest 4K and Hik 1080P cameras. Memory usage is still high.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is something going on. Are you sure that BI is using the substreams? The CPU shooting up when you turn off HA is indicating that the substreams are not being used. People here run way more cameras than you on way lessor machines at half the CPU. Folks are running 50 cameras on a 4th gen CPU in the 30% range.

Please provide a screenshot of the BI camera status page similar to this.

1662055667099.png

Are you using the computer for anything else?

Are you using the GPU version of DeepStack?

Many people have had issues with DeepStack since BI went to SenseAI. You might want to rollback to a 5.5.7.X version that supported Deepstack. SenseAI was introduced with 5.5.8.X

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is something going on. Are you sure that BI is using the substreams? The CPU shooting up when you turn off HA is indicating that the substreams are not being used. People here run way more cameras than you on way lessor machines at half the CPU. Folks are running 50 cameras on a 4th gen CPU in the 30% range.

Please provide a screenshot of the BI camera status page similar to this.

View attachment 138659

Are you using the computer for anything else?

Are you using the GPU version of DeepStack?

Many people have had issues with DeepStack since BI went to SenseAI. You might want to rollback to a 5.5.7.X version that supported Deepstack. SenseAI was introduced with 5.5.8.X
Here's my screen shot:
1662057425093.png

I must have missed a few camera's when I turned off the hardware acceleration but it seems to have stabilized. What should I have this set too, I thought it was supposed to be set to "Intel +VPP":
1662057653998.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so it looks like around 18 of the cameras are not using the substreams (sub FPS and sub bitrate are blank).

Intel +VPP is using the onboard GPU. Make it NO, but also go into each camera setting and make sure it says Default or NO as well. Your screenshot above is the global configuration, but each camera can be setup as well.

30FPS is way too much - movies are shot at 24 FPS, so we don't need more than that for mobile devices and tablets and monitors LOL. Most here run 15FPS. I do see that are runnin some at lower FPS. Shutter speed is much more important than FPS.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

Reaction score
OK, so it looks like around 18 of the cameras are not using the substreams (sub FPS and sub bitrate are blank).

Intel +VPP is using the onboard GPU. Make it NO, but also go into each camera setting and make sure it says Default or NO as well. Your screenshot above is the global configuration, but each camera can be setup as well.

30FPS is way too much - movies are shot at 24 FPS, so we don't need more than that for mobile devices and tablets and monitors LOL. Most here run 15FPS. I do see that are runnin some at lower FPS. Shutter speed is much more important than FPS.
The 8 cameras that are not using sub stream, I know, it's a little confusing (they are still connected to my Hik NVR) It's actually being recorded by both machines.

I went in to each camera to make sure the Hardware decode is set to "NO"

I totally agree 30fps is overkill and unnecessary, I haven't had time to correct it because the CPU was making it so slow for me to do anything. Now that the CPU is available, I can go back to change them. lol

Is my 1080 Ti doing anything? Here's what it looks like now: GPU on the 1080 Ti is 0%
1662058917310.png

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh ok that makes sense on the NVR cams. You might be able to bring in the substream on them. A little bit of tinkering might find the combination. Some of the NVRs will pass both streams and some don't.

The intel GPU is still showing 13%, so something is still using it. make sure you don't have a rogue camera using it. It could also be the monitor if you have a monitor on the computer.

Yes the GTX 1080 should be zero.

Now you can use that card for Deepstack (and SenseAI), just don't use it for hardware acceleration for BI.

Reaction score
At some point when my Hik NVR dies, I'm just going to remove it (there are a ton of bad sectors on the drives now and it doesn't handle 4k cameras very well). I tired tinkering with it a while ago but couldn't get the sub-stream to work. Some of my older cameras are 720p so I don't even care about the sub-stream.

My monitor is plugged so that's probably where the 13% is showing up.

DeepStack is working great now as well as the rest of the computer, I think I'll increase the DeepSt4ack to some of the other cameras.

Thanks again for your help.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Set the cameras to a maximum frame rate for 15. Set the Iframe interval to 15, so there is one Iframe per second. For the sub frames set the frame rate and iframe interval to match the main frame. These changes are made in each of the cameras, NOT in BI.