CPU Question

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the Blue Iris forum but now realize I should probably post this here. Can't seem to delete the other thread though.

I'm about to build myself a Blue Iris box and have found a sweet deal on a local computer store offering a 6th Gen Intel Core i3-6100 @ 3.70GHz (2 core / 4 threads) and Gigabyte GA-H110M-A motherboard for $129. I would combine that with 8gb of memory, a 120gb SSD and a 3TB or 4TB WD Purple drive running Win10/64 Pro. The CPU Passmark is 5491 and I was wondering if it would be stout enough for three of Nelly's H-Series 2.8mm 4mp turrets and possibly one 4mm 4mp bullet? All running at 1080p with motion activation.

I'm not a fan of the Realtec LAN port (Network Engineer by trade) but for this low of volume, it should be OK.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the Blue Iris forum but now realize I should probably post this here. Can't seem to delete the other thread though.

I'm about to build myself a Blue Iris box and have found a sweet deal on a local computer store offering a 6th Gen Intel Core i3-6100 @ 3.70GHz (2 core / 4 threads) and Gigabyte GA-H110M-A motherboard for $129. I would combine that with 8gb of memory, a 120gb SSD and a 3TB or 4TB WD Purple drive running Win10/64 Pro. The CPU Passmark is 5491 and I was wondering if it would be stout enough for three of Nelly's H-Series 2.8mm 4mp turrets and possibly one 4mm 4mp bullet? All running at 1080p with motion activation.

I'm not a fan of the Realtec LAN port (Network Engineer by trade) but for this low of volume, it should be OK.
You can buy an i5 haswell system with windows pro and three year next business day warranty for 300. Search optiplex and elitedesk in this forum. That cpu will be able to handle the load though.

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can buy an i5 haswell system with windows pro and three year next business day warranty for 300. Search optiplex and elitedesk in this forum. That cpu will be able to handle the load though.
Yep, I see these recommendations constantly on here but I hate the size of these computers. I'm wanting something smaller. I've toyed with using a powerful NUC (I have five of them now that I use for desktops and HTPCs) but the cost is just too outrageous for that platform. Size is great though! Since I'm a network and computer nerd (network engineer by trade) I've wanted to give the new SandyLake CPU a try and figure this was a cheap entry to do it. If this CPU doesn't work out, I'll upgrade it to an i5 or i7 and repurpose the i3 for something else. But since this i3 will do what I need and is relatively low power, I'll give it a try and add it to the CPU list after I get it running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I see these recommendations constantly on here but I hate the size of these computers. I'm wanting something smaller. I've toyed with using a powerful NUC (I have five of them now that I use for desktops and HTPCs) but the cost is just too outrageous for that platform. Size is great though! Since I'm a network and computer nerd (network engineer by trade) I've wanted to give the new SandyLake CPU a try and figure this was a cheap entry to do it. If this CPU doesn't work out, I'll upgrade it to an i5 or i7 and repurpose the i3 for something else. But since this i3 will do what I need and is relatively low power, I'll give it a try and add it to the CPU list after I get it running.
You can buy the ultraslim desktop or even the mini versions. The mini's are as small as a nuc. Problem is that there is only room for one 2.5 drive. A larger desktop is much less likely to get stolen. You can buy the new skylake systems for 400. OS included.

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can buy the ultraslim desktop or even the mini versions. The mini's are as small as a nuc. Problem is that there is only room for one 2.5 drive. A larger desktop is much less likely to get stolen. You can buy the new skylake systems for 400. OS included.
Yep, I hear ya. I have a license for Win10 already and I would have to buy a WD Purple drive no matter which way I went. With the system I'm looking at, $129 for CPU and Motherboard, $33 for 8gb memory, $50 for a case and I'm at $210. I have the SSD already and would need to buy a Purple HDD. At least that is my logic so far. I'm fickle so my plans may change at any moment! Thanks for the replies!

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently running 5 cams on a I3-6100U (Intel NUC - see my thread) and haven't had any issues.. Think you will be fine...

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
Local storage is just an 128GB SSD, with archiving pushed out to a NAS on the local network. I don't record 24/7 (only on triggers, etc) and don't find myself needing huge amounts of storage locally anyway TBH.

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
...until you decide you want to fun more cameras at a higher frame rate...
He was talking about running 4 cams....Plus there is actually a fair bit of headroom in this setup still anyway if we're only averaging 30% CPU the way it is.

Also don't really see the point in anything over 20FPS, even 15 would suffice really. Each to their own.

miffmole

n3wb
Reaction score
When you are measuring CPU, are you doing it with the BI console on or off? On my i7 6700T 6th Generation processor, I'm getting 20-30% CPU with the console on, and 9-17% with it off. To my surprise, it still records motion detection, and sends to the BI app even when the console is off.

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
When you are measuring CPU, are you doing it with the BI console on or off? On my i7 6700T 6th Generation processor, I'm getting 20-30% CPU with the console on, and 9-17% with it off. To my surprise, it still records motion detection, and sends to the BI app even when the console is off.
Nah running the full app in the background. You can save some CPU by pausing the liveview if its on a remote PC and you aren't looking at it all the time. Are you running it as a service?

miffmole

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it's running as a service.
I'm actually exiting the program but it still records and the apps still work, while decreasing the CPUs.
In spite of updating my Intel HD drivers and enabling hardware acceleration, my CPU actually increased...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's running as a service.
I'm actually exiting the program but it still records and the apps still work, while decreasing the CPUs.
In spite of updating my Intel HD drivers and enabling hardware acceleration, my CPU actually increased...
You may have enabled vpp..read the release note for it, its no good for many cams. Simply set regular HA.