CPU running at 100% almost constantly

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a cheap off-lease PC with a third-generation i-3 processor.
It's not the most powerful, but Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris page described it as "cheap but still good".
But after adding a dozen cameras, the CPU is almost constantly running at 100%.
I've read other threads, and this doesn't seem normal.
Needless to say, no other app is running besides Blue Iris, as it's a newly installed OS.

Where do I start to troubleshoot?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Start with this wiki and do everything it says. Especially the substreams... Too many people say they have done every optimization and as they start sharing screenshots we see that they have not...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I3 processor is a meaningless term. What processor? What load?

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Start with this wiki and do everything it says. Especially the substreams... Too many people say they have done every optimization and as they start sharing screenshots we see that they have not...

Ok, I started with replacing the video driver with an older one that's linked in Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration).

Now, Blue Iris has lost the left-side panel that shows all the recordings, as well as the menu bar.
What gives? Is there any way to get the side panel and the menu bar back?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a screen shot from the Blue Iris status that looks like this, but show the whole screen that shows Totals at the bottom:

1617825266300.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I started with replacing the video driver with an older one that's linked in Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration).

Now, Blue Iris has lost the left-side panel that shows all the recordings, as well as the menu bar.
What gives? Is there any way to get the side panel and the menu bar back?
That shouldn't be a driver issue, you probably accidentally turned them off - try a left click and look for the menu bar. It may also be up in the settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The graph with the arrow up on top left for the camera status page

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get to full screen by mistake? Hit the ESC button a few times

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That shouldn't be a driver issue, you probably accidentally turned them off - try a left click and look for the menu bar. It may also be up in the settings.
How important is using the old driver in reducing the CPU usage?
I'm going to update the video driver, because it's causing all sorts troubles, and do all the other suggested measures.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the previous driver isn't causing an issue, then go ahead and stay with it. Some people have no problem with more recent drivers, and others do. It will impact your RAM more than CPU if there is an issue. The RAM shoots up until it is gone and then BI and/or computer restarts.

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you get to full screen by mistake? Hit the ESC button a few times
Mea culpa. I hit the ESC button 4-5 times in a row in desperation, and it worked.

The old driver is still wreaking havoc in other ways, I think.
The remote desktop client that I use to log on to the BI-PC, shuts down once in a while.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mea culpa. I hit the ESC button 4-5 times in a row in desperation, and it worked.

The remote desktop client that I use to log on to the BI-PC, shuts down once in a while.
You dont need an old driver. The latest drivers do not have the leak. You need the latest MS driver not the one provided by dell.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Stop, take a deep breath, and Study the BI help file. This is all user error. Unless you understand what a setting does, don't click things willy nilly on it. The remote desktop can add significantly more load to the CPU. Stop using it, and use a monitor connected to the BI pc until you get things ironed out.

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd like to report that using the substreams and writing directly to the disk has made a huge difference!
Those two measures alone brought down the cpu usage to less than 20%.

Thank you all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, those two features are major CPU savers, but too many people do as @looney2ns said and start changing settings not knowing what they are doing and end up messing up BI and in their efforts to decrease CPU usage, they actually increase it.

I cannot tell you how many people come here reporting that they have high CPU and have done everything in the Optimization wiki and then when we ask for screenshots to help troubleshoot, we see that they have not followed every optimization!