CPU running at between 96 and 100% all day

Reaction score
I have BI 3 installed on a windows 7 system, and have 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-1 IP cameras, and 2 Merit Lilin LR7022E4 108P IP cameras. I have this setup since around mid 2014, and I had an i3 cpu, which after about a year or so packed up, which I was surprised at.
I have had a Pentium G3260 for a while now, and didn't notice how high in percentage use it got to. The reason for this is I had BI in full screen mode with no bottom bar showing, and hence no cpu figures, except for one time recently where I saw the cpu use was again upt to between 96% and 100%

Now I have, yesterday, installed a i5 cpu, thinking that should handle BI well enough. After first installlation of the cpu and then running BI again, the cpu usage was only around 30% to 50%, which I thought would be fine.
Now to day, the cpu is constantly upto 96/98% .

I have just closed down BI and restarted it and the cpu usage was 98% straight away
I also have 8Gb of DDR3 ram installed.

The video frame rate has been reduced from 15fps to 10fps on all 4 cameras and it has not made any difference.

Is there anything else I can do to bring the cpu use figure down?

nt2007

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI 3 installed on a windows 7 system, and have 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-1 IP cameras, and 2 Merit Lilin LR7022E4 108P IP cameras. I have this setup since around mid 2014, and I had an i3 cpu, which after about a year or so packed up, which I was surprised at.
I have had a Pentium G3260 for a while now, and didn't notice how high in percentage use it got to. The reason for this is I had BI in full screen mode with no bottom bar showing, and hence no cpu figures, except for one time recently where I saw the cpu use was again upt to between 96% and 100%

Now I have, yesterday, installed a i5 cpu, thinking that should handle BI well enough. After first installlation of the cpu and then running BI again, the cpu usage was only around 30% to 50%, which I thought would be fine.
Now to day, the cpu is constantly upto 96/98% .

I have just closed down BI and restarted it and the cpu usage was 98% straight away
I also have 8Gb of DDR3 ram installed.

The video frame rate has been reduced from 15fps to 10fps on all 4 cameras and it has not made any difference.

Is there anything else I can do to bring the cpu use figure down?
Does the cpu go close to 0% when you close BI? How many look ahead frames do you have set?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you recording direct to disc and using Hardware acceleration? You need to tell us the exact model of the I5 you are using I-5 is a meeting list term otherwise. You might be suffering from a memory leak related to Intel drivers. Also are you logging into this PC remotely or viewing it on the monitor connected locally?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, when I look at the usage in task manager , it shows that BI is only using upto 30, but yet when i look at the usage in BI directly it is say 98%. Also the memory usage is 783,664Kb, which is roughly 0.9Gb.
The cpu usage when BI is closed down is fairly near to 0.

Where or what are the look ahead frames, as I can't recall seeing that option.

Reaction score
The cpu is:
INTEL CORE I5 4460 QUAD CORE 3.2GHz (3.4GHz TurboBoost) 6M LGA1150 CPU PROCESSOR
Which I bought from an ebay seller.
The recording is done direct to my disc or my NAS server, and as far as I know I'm not using hardware acceleration. Is there somewhere I can check this.
I am viewing BI on a monitor which is on a home network.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Rob. The cpu usage BI shows at the bottom is total usage for all processes. If task manager says 30% for BI, something else is eating up the rest of the cpu and that should be apparent in the task manager display.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, when I look at the usage in task manager , it shows that BI is only using upto 30, but yet when i look at the usage in BI directly it is say 98%. Also the memory usage is 783,664Kb, which is roughly 0.9Gb.
The cpu usage when BI is closed down is fairly near to 0.

Where or what are the look ahead frames, as I can't recall seeing that option.
Forget the pre trigger frames it's not your issue...
You are using bi3 so you don't have hardware acceleration... Direct to disc must be enabled for each camera.. You did not answer whether you are using remote desktop software...
Are you in demo mode?

Reaction score
No, its not a demo, as I paid for BI3 at the time.

What do you mean by remote desktop software??
All I know is that BI3 is installed on a win7 desktop machine which is on my home network. Also the said machine only runs BI and another windows program 24/7, which is a weather monitoring program. There is no other bloatware or similar on it.
Looking in taskmanger/processes the cpu usage is using approx 75% all in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, its not a demo, as I paid for BI3 at the time.

What do you mean by remote desktop software??
All I know is that BI3 is installed on a win7 desktop machine which is on my home network. Also the said machine only runs BI and another windows program 24/7, which is a weather monitoring program. There is no other bloatware or similar on it.
Looking in taskmanger/processes the cpu usage is using approx 75% all in.
Once again, have you enabled direct to disc? This is not automatic..Are you viewing blue Iris on a local monitor? Or remotely...If you don't answer the questions we cannot help you.

Blue Iris 4 also supports hardware acceleration which further reduces CPU...

Reaction score
I have been doing some investigating, and I have found that it is not BI that is causing cpu usage to run at between 97% and 100%, as shown on the bottom bar of BI.

To answer the question, if you mean by viewing on a local monitor ,one that is connected to a desktop and viewable from where I am sitting, and not from any other place or device, then yes I am viewing on a local monitor.

Do I have direct to disc enabled? I have looked through the settings both globally and for each camera, and I cannot see any option to record direct to disc. All I know is that each recording and picture is stored on my NAS server. It would seem that it is entirely possible that direct to disc is enable somewhere, but I don't know where. Could you point me in the right direction please.

With only BI3 running on the pc the cpu is shown as 44% on the bottom bar of BI, and in task manger it is around 10.

When I run the other program, weather display , as it is called, it was the multiple instances of the built in ftp file which uploads data to a weather site, as well as my own site.

Reaction score
I have been doing some investigating, and I have found that it is not BI that is causing cpu usage to run at between 97% and 100%, as shown on the bottom bar of BI.

To answer the question, if you mean by viewing on a local monitor ,one that is connected to a desktop and viewable from where I am sitting, and not from any other place or device, then yes I am viewing on a local monitor.

Do I have direct to disc enabled? I have looked through the settings both globally and for each camera, and I cannot see any option to record direct to disc. All I know is that each recording and picture is stored on my NAS server. It would seem that it is entirely possible that direct to disc is enable somewhere, but I don't know where. Could you point me in the right direction please.

With only BI3 running on the pc the cpu is shown as 44% on the bottom bar of BI, and in task manger it is around 10.

When I run the other program, weather display , as it is called, it was the multiple instances of the built in ftp file which uploads data to a weather site, as well as my own site.

Reaction score
Nanooko, thanks for telling me where to look and no, direct to disc is not enabled on any of the 4 cameras

Reaction score
I have now enabled Direct to Disc on all 4 cameras, and it does seem to have reduced the cpu usage on the BI bar to 47% now. Thanks for that

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Blue iris has a help file..it is VERY detailed.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I also use Weather Display software, if it is configured correctly, it should use very little resources. If you have multiple ftp icons accumulating in the task bar, there is an issue with Weather Display that you need to talk to Brian about here: Weather-Watch.com - Index

The FTP processes should close after they complete the upload.