CPU suggestion?

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went the Pushover route as I didn't want to have a VPN open all the time as the BI app would only send a push without the picture when away from home unless you VPN or port forward.

Since you have your WireGuard setup to auto kick in, you won't have an issue.

Getting "murdered with notifications" has nothing to do with how you get the alerts whether it is the BI app or Pushover or email or text message or any other method.

You get slammed with alerts based on setting up to get said alerts.

Do you need an alert for every car that goes past or every person that walks by on the public sidewalk?

So it takes some time to figure out which alerts are important to you and then set it up to get those alerts only. BI records triggers for all the other stuff that I can review later, but if someone gets within my "personal space" I will get an alert.
Ok then I’m closer to my goal - thx for help so far :). Have a great day - Might get back if something faults on me :)

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you use the BI app for IOS / Android or how do you get intrusion alerts when say at the supermarket? Have read a lot around her for my setup and some use pushover also. I’m a little disappointed If I can’t get a notification when not at home. When leaving home WiFi my WireGuard will automatically kick in so I have access to local LAN . Guess if u say using the BI app with vpn is best option I have to make sure I don’t so many alerts / triggers activated I get murderd with notifications
Personally, I'm not very impressed with the BI app. Not at all. I do have it but only use it for a very special situation. It's only used with I need to do 2-way audio communication through one camera at my parents' house which is very rare. I don't have this type of camera on my personal BI system for my house. And, that 2-way communication is like a walkie-talkie protocol; simplex....not duplex protocol. Using UI3 in a browser app on my mobile device is my go to method to view cams on BI when I'm not home. I also use PushOver alerts. If I have the urge to view the alert video clip I flip on OpenVPN to make a secure connection to my home network. It takes a couple of seconds to click the OpenVPN button and make the connection. Because of this I don't see a reason (for me personally) to have my phone always connected to the home network when I leave the house.

Below is what a Pushover alert looks like on my phone. It's clear that it's telling me UPS just entered the 'hood. If I really want to watch the alert clip I first click my OpenVPN button to make the secure connection home then I click that blue link and it automatically logins into my BI server then plays the video in UI3 within a Chrome browser on the phone. Usually, there is no need to view the video clips for many alerts as it's obvious what the alert is.

1704924027489.png

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not very impressed with the BI app. Not at all. I do have it but only use it for a very special situation. It's only used with I need to do 2-way audio communication through one camera at my parents' house which is very rare. I don't have this type of camera on my personal BI system for my house. And, that 2-way communication is like a walkie-talkie protocol; simplex....not duplex protocol. Using UI3 in a browser app on my mobile device is my go to method to view cams on BI when I'm not home. I also use PushOver alerts. If I have the urge to view the alert video clip I flip on OpenVPN to make a secure connection to my home network. It takes a couple of seconds to click the OpenVPN button and make the connection. Because of this I don't see a reason (for me personally) to have my phone always connected to the home network when I leave the house.

Below is what a Pushover alert looks like on my phone. It's clear that it's telling me UPS just entered the 'hood. If I really want to watch the alert clip I first click my OpenVPN button to make the secure connection home then I click that blue link and it automatically logins into my BI server then plays the video in UI3 within a Chrome browser on the phone. Usually, there is no need to view the video clips for many alerts as it's obvious what the alert is.

View attachment 182312
This is exactly what I need.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This reminded me to report back! I got most everything up and running on a HP Z2 G5 SFF Workstation Core i7-10700 2.9GHz 32GB RAM following the tutorial i linked in the original post. Miraculously, despite it being well below the specs for 17 4k cameras it seems to handle all of them and the AI. I also purchased a Coral M.2 Accelerator but I've yet to been able to get the system to recognize it even after downgrading to Windows 10. This is just with the onboard graphics... If anyone has any experience with the Coral M.2's, i'm all ears, but in the meantime my 2 takeaways are 1) just try it and 2) read the manual cause I still very much fumble around the Blue Iris UI without really knowing what i'm doing. I needed to chase down an event on one of the cameras and i just realized how little i understand about actually USING Blue Iris after set up....Thanks to everyone for your help