CPU usage and processor temp with BI

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've notice a lot of references to somewhat high CPU usage with BI. I'm assuming this is being measured with Task Manager>Performance>CPU Usage. Right? If recording direct to disc what should one expect the CPU usage to be running 5 of the 3MP Hikvision cameras in continuous record mode?

Also, I've seen some reports of CPU temps in the 70-80C range with BI monitoring several cameras. What would be the average temp for an Intel i7 processor.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the ambient room temperature where the processor is located and what is the altitude where the processor is located (temperatures decrease by 1 degree celsius for every 100 metres increase in altitude).

- - - Updated - - -

Just kiddin' :rolleyes-new:

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Processor is an i7 4790 with stock fan. Altitude about 360 feet above sea level. Ambient temp in room is generally 76F. I've got a pretty well ventilated mid-tower with 3 X 140mm fans.

I'm just curious what to expect as it appears BI is really processor intensive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It will be in the teens, maybe 20, make sure to set recording direct to disc..

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It will be in the teens, maybe 20, make sure to set recording direct to disc..
That's using TaskManager to measure, right? I don't even know another way to check cpu usage.

I was expecting higher reading.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's using TaskManager to measure, right? I don't even know another way to check cpu usage.

I was expecting higher reading.
Yes task manager...blue iris also reports the cpu usage..there are many variables that affect the cpu use, so its hard to give an exact number. Do not worry about temps...modern haswell i7's run super cool

labbie48

n3wb
Reaction score
4 @ 1080P the rest 3MP. I7 4790K, 32Gb RAM, Windows10 x64, Cooler Master heat sink and 4 120mm fans. I also run a FTP server and PLEX video server on this machine. Frame rates all at 15
FPS

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4 @ 1080P the rest 3MP. I7 4790K, 32Gb RAM, Windows10 x64, Cooler Master heat sink and 4 120mm fans. I also run a FTP server and PLEX video server on this machine. Frame rates all at 15
FPS
That's a lot of RAM, which brings up the question of how much is needed?? When I built my i7 server i went with 8gb and felt that would be sufficient. I'm I missing something?

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You think it's the ram or the i7 cpu making it run fast??

Ecko404

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
On my part, what helped: reduce camera fps, direct drive recording, limit live view fps and also minimizing BI while not in live viewing.

labbie48

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure it's the CPU since prior I was running a box with an AMD FX-8320 eight core processor and wasn't getting the performance I get with the I7 4790K.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We dont even know if it will be optimized for intel or nvidia...I would wait and see. 60w is a lot of power consumption..basically doubling the machines power draw...
If I understand what I'm reading correctly, 34 watts of my E3-1225v3 is being consumed by the p4600 processor on the die. System ram used as "slow" video ram. By disabling the "on board" video and installing a 60 watt "nominal" nVidia Maxwell card i will have an effective increase in power of 26 watts. The 750ti has 640 cuda cores and is 400% faster at decoding/encoding h264 video. Processor should drop considerable and also should use less power in the process. Also I'm "Hoping" that it well help on encoding for web streaming, IE. UI2. nVidia vs Intel optimization seems pretty similar. Optimize for Intel, and nVidia will still blow 4600 out of the water using the Intel optimizations. I am so looking forward to this. Just my thoughts. Am I making sense?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand what I'm reading correctly, 34 watts of my E3-1225v3 is being consumed by the p4600 processor on the die. System ram used as "slow" video ram. By disabling the "on board" video and installing a 60 watt "nominal" nVidia Maxwell card i will have an effective increase in power of 26 watts. The 750ti has 640 cuda cores and is 400% faster at decoding/encoding h264 video. Processor should drop considerable and also should use less power in the process. Also I'm "Hoping" that it well help on encoding for web streaming, IE. UI2. nVidia vs Intel optimization seems pretty similar. Optimize for Intel, and nVidia will still blow 4600 out of the water using the Intel optimizations. I am so looking forward to this. Just my thoughts. Am I making sense?
I think your calculations are way off. Where are you getting 34w for the p4600...a system with that processor should idle at 20-25w all in (assuming a single drive)..the p4600 likely uses close to zero at idle as its integrated into the processor. I dont know how the hardware acceleration will be implemented, Nvidia might be a complete waste. Benchmarks dont paint a complete picture. I would wait until its released then buy the card and test, so you can return it if it doesnt help.