CPU usage creeping up slowly

Fvhemert

n3wb
Reaction score
Triggered by the posts on this forum I have been carefully monitoring CPU usage of my BI system.

I am currently using a Intel NUC7i7BNH that comes with an Intel Core i7-7567U processor , 8Gb internal memory, 256Gb SSD and Windows 10 and noticed that CPU usage after starting BI is around 25-30%. Throughout the day (several hours) this slowly increase to values up to 80%.

If I stop the BI service and restart again, processor usage will be at the 25% mark again and the process starts over again.

Currently have 5 camera's installed, no overlays, motion detection enabled, direct to disk enabled and on a demo license. Two type of clients, an iOS mobile client and a home automation touchscreen that takes data from the webserver.

Before I go into detailed troubleshooting I like to understand if somebody has seen this behavior before.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Triggered by the posts on this forum I have been carefully monitoring CPU usage of my BI system.

I am currently using a Intel NUC7i7BNH that comes with an Intel Core i7-7567U processor , 8Gb internal memory, 256Gb SSD and Windows 10 and noticed that CPU usage after starting BI is around 25-30%. Throughout the day (several hours) this slowly increase to values up to 80%.

If I stop the BI service and restart again, processor usage will be at the 25% mark again and the process starts over again.

Currently have 5 camera's installed, no overlays, motion detection enabled, direct to disk enabled and on a demo license. Two type of clients, an iOS mobile client and a home automation touchscreen that takes data from the webserver.

Before I go into detailed troubleshooting I like to understand if somebody has seen this behavior before.
its a memory leak related to a bad intel hd driver...search this site for memory leak

Fvhemert

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, will check the forum. Makes me wonder if it might cause the occasional system freeze too.

Fvhemert

n3wb
Reaction score
This is becoming an cumbersome exercise.... read the various post on the board but did not find a definitive answer to the question which version to use so decided to take the trial and error approach. At this point in time I believe I am running out of options without seeing any improvement.

The system I have is a Intel NUC7i7BNHX with a i7-7567U processor (4M cache up to 4.0 Ghz) it has a Iris Plus Graphics 650 card onboard.

Before I started installing the alternate driver packages I installed a fresh copy of WIN10 and I deferred the creators update for now. Running build 14393

The driver packages I tried so far are downloaded from the Intel website:

[15.45] 21.20.16.4678
[15.46] 22.20.16.4771

There seems to be nothing left on the intel site so it looks like I am out of options :( For now all the drivers show the same behavior: they run for a while and than the PC crashes and I have to do a hard reset.

Anybody have suggestions on which driver to use for the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650?

Help is very much appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is becoming an cumbersome exercise.... read the various post on the board but did not find a definitive answer to the question which version to use so decided to take the trial and error approach. At this point in time I believe I am running out of options without seeing any improvement.

The system I have is a Intel NUC7i7BNHX with a i7-7567U processor (4M cache up to 4.0 Ghz) it has a Iris Plus Graphics 650 card onboard.

Before I started installing the alternate driver packages I installed a fresh copy of WIN10 and I deferred the creators update for now. Running build 14393

The driver packages I tried so far are downloaded from the Intel website:

[15.45] 21.20.16.4678
[15.46] 22.20.16.4771

There seems to be nothing left on the intel site so it looks like I am out of options :( For now all the drivers show the same behavior: they run for a while and than the PC crashes and I have to do a hard reset.

Anybody have suggestions on which driver to use for the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650?

Help is very much appreciated
in the interim you can disable hardware acceleration, that should stop the leak..
this thread has some versions to try BlueIris memory leak?
also install all windows updates, even the creators update.

Last edited:

Fvhemert

n3wb
Reaction score
Problem solved by installing an older version of the graphics driver.
Summary of issues found and a guide on how to fix.
=========================================================================================
Symptoms:
Running BI on a fresh WIN10 PRO install with HW Acceleration enabled will show the following behavior:
  • Slowly creeping CPU usage up to 100%
  • Frequent system crash
Because of the frequent random crashes, the BI system is not workable.

Cause:
The root cause lies in a problem with the video driver when using "Intel HD hardware acceleration" in Blue Iris

Upon fresh install WIN10 PRO installs the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 driver version 22.20.16.4471 which causes this issue and is described on the http://www.IPCAMTALK.COM forum, search for "Memory Leak"

I have tried the following drivers from the Intel support website:

Does not work:
Solution:

Works:

The 21.20.16.4664 driver is included in the [15.45] release package and has to be installed from the win_15418.4664. zip package dated 9/16/2017.

Note: although the website tells you this is not the latest version, be sure to use this one because the latest version will not work.

The zip file can be downloaded from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

If you download the exe file or try installing using the setup.exe will an error message will be generated: "error, driver not validated for this operating system".
To solve this use the following workaround (Courtesy How-to: bypass "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" :: Planetary Annihilation Bug Reporting! )
  • Download the ZIP version of driver package.
  • Extract the zip file somewhere easy to find, e.g your "Desktop".
  • Go to Device Manager
  • In "Display Adapters" find "Intel(R) HD Graphics"
  • Right click on it and go to "Properties"
  • Now new window should appear.
  • Click "Driver" tab
  • Then click "Update Driver..." button.
  • A new window will appear.
  • Now click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • It's will show you next page.
  • WARNING: DO NOT click on "Browse" here! Ignore this form!
  • Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • In this window click on "Have Disk..." button.
  • A window pop's up to find the driver
  • Navigate to the extracted driver folder
  • Point to the "Graphics" sub-folder
  • Select the Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 650 Driver found in the extracted zip file
  • Clicking next will update the driver. (Screen will flicker several times)
  • Upon completion the Driver property page should list 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017)
Restart the system after update and re-check the driver version

The above listed driver and procedure works for Windows 10 PRO version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

IMPORTANT:
Win 10 has received a major update this year (Creators update, 10.0.15063 Build 15063). This update might install automatically or through the WIndows Update shortcut palced on the users desktop. When updating to this build the Display Driver is updated automatically to a non-working version (in my case to 22.20.16.4771)

Downgrading to 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017) following the above steps is therefore required.

Succes,

François

spongerX

n3wb
Reaction score
I was having this problem on 2 systems as well. One with an i5 Skylake with 5 IP cameras and the other with an i7 Skylake with 10 Hikvision IP cameras. Both systems on the latest Win 10 Creators update. The i5 system is always up to date with Blueiris and started exhibiting creeping CPU utilization about 3 or 4 Blueiris updates ago. The i7 system I only update periodically and it started having really bad CPU creep after applying the 4.6.5.2 x64 release. Within a couple hours of restarting the Blueiris service the CPU utilization would be at 95% or more and the system unusable until the Blueiris task was killed.

I started researching and found this thread. While looking for the older Intel driver referenced above I found a new Intel driver release, 15.45.23.4860 dated 12/11/2017. Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] I applied this update via downloaded EXE file from Intel on both i5 and i7 systems and so far 12 hours after installing and rebooting both systems I'm not noticing CPU creep yet. I'm not sure what my Intel GPU version was before I updated to the most recent one on Intel's site.

10 camera i7 system is around 10% CPU and 50% Intel GPU currently and 5 camera i5 system is around 10% CPU and 25% GPU. I use Blueiris motion detection on both systems for all cameras.

It looks like the latest Intel 15.45 driver may have resolved this issue.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fvhemert: for me this works with version 4.6.3.0 , but as soon as I update to the newer blue iris version , My RAM goes sky high.

Cor

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this well written solution. Win10 did an automatic update last night and I started having the 100% CPU issue today.
Solution works perfect with latest BI (4.6.5.2).
My system has an Intel 530 based video instead of the 650 mentioned in OP, but fix is still valid.

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is my exact issue with i7-7700. Intel 630. So far, I have been using BlueIris Tools to reset BlueIris if CPU usage goes over 90%. Not ideal. I have also tried disabling hardware acceleration which puts CPU at 50% and GPU at 0% (with hardware acceleration BI starts at 17% while CPU is 30%, how much power savings I get, I don't know).

I will try this older driver to see if it helps. My current driver is: 22.20.16.4836

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
THe problem is the recommended driver does not install on my i5 6500 dell Windows 10 pro.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris is getting too much. I did not expect it to be so much work when I purchased it. There is always something...
Yes go buy an NVR... Those never have any issues... In fact I can't find a single thread that mentions any problems with NVRs....
This is not a blue iris problem it's an Intel driver problem. ... There's a simple solution to it as well... However if you can't follow directions then get in NVR and live with those limitations for a while and see how you feel... For the record this is the only Blue Iris problem that requires any bit of a workaround... Any other problems you may have had could have been easily avoided by not upgrading every 2 days... I have 20 Blue Iris systems that hum along with no issues...

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just this morning I checked on my BI system before heading to work and I noticed my cpu usage was pretty high (~90%). I did some poking around and noticed that one or two of my three cameras was reporting only 2-3 fps. A quick reset of these cameras got the fps back up around 19 (expected) and the cpu usage dropped down to ~25-35% (also expected).

I just stumbled across this thread and wondered if my system might also be suffering from a similar issue?

Going to do some more research on the topic - but i did just reload the OS last night (fresh Win10) which of course got the Creators update. I don't know at the moment what Intel Graphics Driver version is installed.

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a quick FYI that I was indeed suffering from this Intel Driver problem. In the evening I'd be at around 85-90% usage. I stopped auto updates of drivers and installed 4664 and so far I'm on a day+ with ~20% cpu usage.