16GB Ram
Windows 10

Camera's
4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP
5 X Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I 4MP
1 X Hikvision DS-2DE5220IW-AE 2MP

Software

Blue Iris 4.5.8.5 x64

CPU Usage is sitting at 98% - 100% with unusable recordings and RAM sitting at 8GB plus.

any idea's on what i need to do? is the hardware up to scratch PC wise or should i be looking at the set-up. i have tried the basic things like straight to disc recording and lowering frame rate to 15fps but any other tips would be great.

graphics card suggestions?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using Intel HD processing? Are you using Direct to Disk recording for every camera?

dgreene157

n3wb
Reaction score
hardware

i7 - 4770 3.4 Ghz
16GB Ram
Windows 10

Camera's

Software

Blue Iris 4.5.8.5 x64

CPU Usage is sitting at 98% - 100% with unusable recordings and RAM sitting at 8GB plus.

any idea's on what i need to do? is the hardware up to scratch PC wise or should i be looking at the set-up. i have tried the basic things like straight to disc recording and lowering frame rate to 15fps but any other tips would be great.

I had a similar issue, but changing direct to disk in bi, reducing the frame rate and using h264 over Mjpeg and turning off any sub streams from the camera dropped me down to about 28% on 9 cameras.

Other tips:
1. Make sure the machine is dedicated only to BI.
2. If you're running bi as a service and the admin window is open, that's doubling your CPU requirements.
3. If you're using Remote Desktop to see the box that's also additional CPU
4. Verify you've excluded blueiris.exe and the folders from your antivirus program (see help in bi for more details)
5. Turn on the intel hardware acceleration (bi options, cameras, item 4)
5. I also turned off text and graphic overlays in bi and do that on the camera to avoid additional post processing.
6. Finally look at what other processes are running (windows task manager-all users) to see what else is using CPU. Windows defender is a huge issue with CPU in windows 10. Google "disable windows defender in windows 10" and use the first result to disable via group policy. Also Sometimes web browser plugins don't shut down as they should.

Hopefully that will help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was curious about what the FPS settings were on your cameras, and if you had a chance to look at Task Manager to see if it really was Blue Iris that was using all of the CPU, but @dgreene157 beat me to it. Nice checklist! :)

dgreene157

n3wb
Reaction score
hardware

i7 - 4770 3.4 Ghz
16GB Ram
Windows 10

Camera's

Software

Blue Iris 4.5.8.5 x64

As a follow up to my earlier response, after all the changes, reboot the pc and then load bi. That should drop you down to 40% or lower CPU and around 1-2 gig of memory.

Your hardware is more than sufficient. I wouldn't add a video card. I'm using an i5 with built in vc and have no issues now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks will try this next week and update then
direct to disk does not work in demo mode..so make sure the license key is entered...as mentioned by others, when remoting in cpu will be very high..test on a local monitor or the bi mobile app.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Run BI as a service and use the web interface to view the video wall. I have my CPU utilization down to 28% with 14 4mp cameras this way.

Last edited:

firefox15

n3wb
Reaction score
direct to disk does not work in demo mode..so make sure the license key is entered...as mentioned by others, when remoting in cpu will be very high..test on a local monitor or the bi mobile app.
I've read this elsewhere, but I wonder if something changed in recent versions. Direct to Disk works just fine in my demo version. There is a massive CPU decrease when I do it, and my saved video clips do not have the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" watermark, although it is still there in live view.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read this elsewhere, but I wonder if something changed in recent versions. Direct to Disk works just fine in my demo version. There is a massive CPU decrease when I do it, and my saved video clips do not have the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" watermark, although it is still there in live view.
It's possible.... the only way to tell is to enter the key and find out....this was case as recently as several months ago

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would second that. I had the same experience of running the direct to disc fine with demo version. I was hitting about 15% CPU before and after I moved from demo to paid version. So I suspect it does work with evaluations recently.

Reaction score
I had a similar issue, but changing direct to disk in bi, reducing the frame rate and using h264 over Mjpeg and turning off any sub streams from the camera dropped me down to about 28% on 9 cameras.

Other tips:
1. Make sure the machine is dedicated only to BI.
2. If you're running bi as a service and the admin window is open, that's doubling your CPU requirements.
3. If you're using Remote Desktop to see the box that's also additional CPU
4. Verify you've excluded blueiris.exe and the folders from your antivirus program (see help in bi for more details)
5. Turn on the intel hardware acceleration (bi options, cameras, item 4)
5. I also turned off text and graphic overlays in bi and do that on the camera to avoid additional post processing.
6. Finally look at what other processes are running (windows task manager-all users) to see what else is using CPU. Windows defender is a huge issue with CPU in windows 10. Google "disable windows defender in windows 10" and use the first result to disable via group policy. Also Sometimes web browser plugins don't shut down as they should.

Hopefully that will help!

What do you mean
how can I know I'm running bi as a service, and how I know admin window is open?

dgreene157

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean
how can I know I'm running bi as a service, and how I know admin window is open?
In the startup tab in settings of bi there's a checkbox "run as service". It that's checked, then bi starts when the computer boots and runs in the background as long as the pc is on. If it's not checked you have to open BI admin to start blue iris, and if you close (exit) bi admin, blue iris stops.

If you're running as a service and you are also opening bi admin manually and leaving it open to view the cams or whatever, that's what I mean by doubling your CPU requirements, because in essence you're loading BI twice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're running as a service and you are also opening bi admin manually and leaving it open to view the cams or whatever, that's what I mean by doubling your CPU requirements, because in essence you're loading BI twice.

that is not the case...it will simply consume the same cpu as if you have open the program...

ChrisMa

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the response guys. i have been away working all week so am back now. will try some of these idea's tomorrow or early next week and keep you posted

ChrisMa

n3wb
Reaction score
deleted all camera's and started again

20 fps
on all camera's except the dome camera which is running at 22 fps

cpu usage is now down to 50% even with the highest resolution of 1080p on the dome camera and 2688*1520 on all other camera's. not sure what i did wrong the first time tbh.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the camera setup? How many fps per camera? What is your pc aetup?
Server: Dell PowerEdge R710, 32gb RAM, dual X5675 3.06ghz 6-core CPUs, 36TB RAID5 storage (6x6TB)
Cameras: 1 Hikvision varifocal 3mp & 13 Hikvision 4MP POE bullets . 4 cameras run 20fps (street-facing), the remainder run 10fps (internal non-vehicle access), bitrate 4096, max resolution