CPU usage vs other NVR software... what comp to get for server

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I realized with just 2 cameras, on a overclocked (4.5ghz) i52500k with 8gb ram I'm just idling blue iris at 30%... I realized when both start to record, I'm nearing 90%!!!!

The only cameras currently are hikvision 2432@3mp and a Geeya 801c @ 1mp... I have 2 more 3mp 2032s coming that I will put outside... They are currently on motion sensing on the software side with a ~2 sec pre buffer

that being said I'm curious what I can do. I did some reading and apparently milestone xprotect is another great NVR software that doesn't use as much power.

I want to get another computer and delegate NVR tasks to it as this is my gaming rig and I've just been testing ip cam stuff on it...

I looked at a couple computers, one being the intel NUC (i5 I guess as BI can't do celeron) @ almost $500 or a lenovo server @ $375.

I think the xprotect will be fine with about 5-6 cameras and a celeron, but I'm not certain.

lastly, I thought about using my wife's old laptop (i5-2430M w/4gb ram and a dedicated radeon gfx card) as the server, which I think might do a decent job at handling what's thrown at it....

Any suggestions in this area?

Maybe I'll just go get my wife the yoga she's been wanting and just take her laptop as a server... but I don't think even my computer or hers will handle 6 cameras on blue iris.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know I can do direct to disc which can save a ton of memory (goes from %90 to 45% with direct to disc on 2 live feeds recording at the same time) but I wasn't a fan of it. I guess that is my only option (I like that I can overlay text via BI, not a 3x pre buffer etc)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Use direct to disc its worth the trade off... You will not have the overlays in xprotect etc...with milestone if you want more that 5 days of recording you will need to pay 50 dollars for a license fee...I dont know that it will support motion detection from the geeya either so you will need to use software detection...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
decoding the video, adding text overlay, encoding the video and saving it to disk is not going to scale well, thats not the programs fault.. thats reality and no programmer is clever enough to hack reality.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I disabled write to disc, changed pre buffer to 3 seconds (60 frames @ 20 fps) and enabled the OSD overlay within the camera itself. This will probably do the trick... Now if I could figure out how to get OSD overlay on the Geeya 801c