cpu usage with BI

cudaaa

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a HP EliteDesk G1 800 Desktop PC mini - Intel i5-4570s with 12 meg ram, 120 gig HD solid state & 1 TB storage. I have 5 total 20 MP worth of cameras 20-30 FPS on Blue Iris running around 50% to 60% CPU usage is this normal? Or do I need to do more adjustments?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using direct to disc? You will see a huge improvement if aren't using it yet.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
right, to minimize cpu, use direct-to-disk (in each cam's record/video_file_format_and-compression pane, if not already)
and also enable "use intel hardware acceleratio"' in the main options/cameras pane, if not already (requires restarting app)

cudaaa

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I have done both "direct-to-disk & use intel hardware acceleration"'

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I have done both "direct-to-disk & use intel hardware acceleration"'
Are you displaying the cameras live? if so you can lower the live view frame rate in blue iris options>cameras.
Are you logging in to the pc via a remote viewing app like teamviewer?

cudaaa

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I am displaying the cameras live. I will try lowering the frame rate. No I am not using a remote viewing app at least not yet. Thanks for the help.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another thing that is commonly recommended around here is lowering your FPS to something like 10-15. You probably won't notice much difference on your end, but the CPU will appreciate it very much.

cudaaa

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok after changing live view to 15fps dropped me down to 45%ish CPU. Then dropping recorded FPS to 15 got me down to 35%ish CPU. Thanks for all the help!!!!

cudaaa

n3wb
Reaction score
It might be a resource hog but it sure does work well! I really cant see any differences in pic quality with those 2 changes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
a shame Bi is a resource hog
That is an exaggeration. 99 percent of setups can run on a 300 dollar i5 haswell. Hardware acceleration has improved performance substantially.
Its a shame all other software cost 100 per camera or have very limited functionality.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is an exaggeration. 99 percent of setups can run on a 300 dollar i5 haswell. Hardware acceleration has improved performance substantially.
Its a shame all other software cost 100 per camera or have very limited functionality.

I tried Bi and honestly it just wasn't my flavor and i wasn't about to go out and spend more money to buy a windows machine. Mac only in this house everything works a lot smoother then windows ever did, was easier to just get a NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried Bi and honestly it just wasn't my flavor and i wasn't about to go out and spend more money to buy a windows machine. Mac only in this house everything works a lot smoother then windows ever did, was easier to just get a NVR.
I used and installed NVRs for years. You could not pay me to use one. The limitations are just too constraining. Thats why there are options.
Windows is just as smooth as mac ever was. I have over 20 BI machines, running perfectly.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used and installed NVRs for years. You could not pay me to use one. The limitations are just too constraining. Thats why there are options.
Windows is just as smooth as mac ever was. I have over 20 BI machines, running perfectly.
personal preference i guess Ill stick with the MAC and ill beg to differ windows runs as smooth as a mac. considering work uses windows 10 its nothing but a hassle and they have 30 to 40 thousand if not more computers all over the country and world.

I buy a mac, get home and it sets it self up with a few click here and there to work in conjunction with the all mac products with almost no work done by me except a few passwords. windows on the other hand that is a whole other beast and no where near as simple. but the windows mac debate can be left for another time. You have what works for you and I have what works for me just fine. I don't feel BI is worth all the bells and whistles my NVR records just fine, no issues with the motion or finding the video not much more is needed IMO.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
personal preference i guess Ill stick with the MAC and ill beg to differ windows runs as smooth as a mac. considering work uses windows 10 its nothing but a hassle and they have 30 to 40 thousand if not more computers all over the country and world.

I buy a mac, get home and it sets it self up with a few click here and there to work in conjunction with the all mac products with almost no work done by me except a few passwords. windows on the other hand that is a whole other beast and no where near as simple. but the windows mac debate can be left for another time. You have what works for you and I have what works for me just fine. I don't feel BI is worth all the bells and whistles my NVR records just fine, no issues with the motion or finding the video not much more is needed IMO.
I support many windows pc, runs fine. There is nothing wrong with win 10. Mac is way over rated. Sort of like the iphone. Very basic, with server choice and hardware limitations and 3-5x cost.
As far as NVRs go, take hikvision for example, if you record constant, you cannot see motion events in the web or mobile timeline. Basic video review on mobile is a complete pain and slow. Thats aside from the schedules, alerts etc that you can do with BI. The simple task if disabling alerts when you get home cannot be done on an NVR out of the box. There are many more options that would fill a page here. I
Some folks are content with basic recording, for others, there is software based vms. Like I said, I wouldnt use an NVR if it were free.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I support many windows pc, runs fine. There is nothing wrong with win 10. Mac is way over rated. Sort of like the iphone. Very basic, with server choice and hardware limitations and 3-5x cost.
As far as NVRs go, take hikvision for example, if you record constant, you cannot see motion events in the web or mobile timeline. Basic video review on mobile is a complete pain and slow. Thats aside from the schedules, alerts etc that you can do with BI. The simple task if disabling alerts when you get home cannot be done on an NVR out of the box. There are many more options that would fill a page here. I
Some folks are content with basic recording, for others, there is software based vms. Like I said, I wouldnt use an NVR if it were free.
How would you disable alerts as soon as you get home? I always have to physically turn BI off.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How would you disable alerts as soon as you get home? I always have to physically turn BI off.
Make a profile for when you're home with Alerts turned off. Personally, I have 4 profiles set up. 1=Day/Away, 2=Night/Away, 3=Day/Home, 4=Night/Home. I have BI set up to default to 1 and 2 (depending on day or night :p )

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And you can use the BI app to set a group fence to change the profiles based on your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk