CPU util ver 5 compared with old ver 3

trollkrem

n3wb
Reaction score
Gents,
I was about to buy the ver 5 then I noticed it will most likely also mean a new laptop. Why is the program now so demanding on CPU?
Is it some setup to be done that could make the program less CPU hungry?
As is now I could not put in my latest CAMS due to CPU 100% util. See pictures attached.Ver 3 21%CPU util.pngVer 5 98% CPU util.pngVer 3 21%CPU util.pngVer 5 98% CPU util.png
Regards Espen

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gents,
I was about to buy the ver 5 then I noticed it will most likely also mean a new laptop. Why is the program now so demanding on CPU?
Is it some setup to be done that could make the program less CPU hungry?
As is now I could not put in my latest CAMS due to CPU 100% util. See pictures attached.View attachment 77894View attachment 77895View attachment 77894View attachment 77895
Regards Espen
The real question is not why is the program so demanding, but why have you not done your research to learn why the cpu usage may be so much higher in demo mode and more importantly, learn about the significant improvements in cpu usage in the latest versions of blue iris 5 using substreams. See WIKI. On an activated version of BI5 and using the substream function your usage will be a fraction of your usage on bi3. Not using subtreams it will be the same or better on BI5.

trollkrem

n3wb
Reaction score
The real question is not why is the program so demanding, but why have you not done your research to learn why the cpu usage may be so much higher in demo mode and more importantly, learn about the significant improvements in cpu usage in the latest versions of blue iris 5 using substreams. See WIKI. On an activated version of BI5 and using the substream function your usage will be a fraction of your usage on bi3. Not using subtreams it will be the same or better on BI5.
Ok, so I have not done any research. Anyway, this was just my observation and if you say so I believe I will buy the program. I have one very old ver 2 and one ver 3.
Will it be possible to use substream for older cams or is this some feature only for new HW? sorry if its a stupid question

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have not done any research. Anyway, this was just my observation and if you say so I believe I will buy the program. I have one very old ver 2 and one ver 3.
Will it be possible to use substream for older cams or is this some feature only for new HW? sorry if its a stupid question
I explained why its happening. No subsreams can be used with almost any ip camera, tough with older low res cams it wont matter much. looks like you are overthinking everything. Is the upgrade fee a huge expense for you? Keep using BI3 and BI2.
Consider spending 100 bux on a much more modern desktop pc.

trollkrem

n3wb
Reaction score
I explained why its happening. No subsreams can be used with almost any ip camera, tough with older low res cams it wont matter much. looks like you are overthinking everything. Is the upgrade fee a huge expense for you? Keep using BI3 and BI2.
Consider spending 100 bux on a much more modern desktop pc.
Sure, I can manage the 60$ and I might also buy a faster laptop even though this what I have is quite ok with I7 / 8Gb ram and SSD. No big deal. :) Reason I need the later BI-version is that the cams nowadays with HEVC / Onvif is not supported in the old BI ver 3.
Tnx for your feedback man and have a nice Xmas-vacation. Yes, I will read the WIKI also. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, I can manage the 60$ and I might also buy a faster laptop even though this what I have is quite ok with I7 / 8Gb ram and SSD. No big deal. :) Reason I need the later BI-version is that the cams nowadays with HEVC / Onvif is not supported in the old BI ver 3.
Tnx for your feedback man and have a nice Xmas-vacation. Yes, I will read the WIKI also. :)
i7 is a meaningless term. As I stated before, you will NOT have to buy another laptop. You issue is directly relegated to demo mode and if you took 3 seconds to search you will find 15 threads explaining this.

trollkrem

n3wb
Reaction score
i7 is a meaningless term. As I stated before, you will NOT have to buy another laptop. You issue is directly relegated to demo mode and if you took 3 seconds to search you will find 15 threads explaining this.
Agree, I7 by it-selves is a meaningless term and yes I will search before asking but tnx again for your answers! Have a nice day :)