Crap. Bought wrong switch... will it matter?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looks like I clicked too fast and bought a "fast ethernet" 8 port POE plus 2 port uplink switch. I had thought the uplink was gigabit but nope, just 100 baseT.

This switch will never be fully filled out; probably a max of about 5 cameras ranging from 2 megapixel to 6 megapixels (and, I only record 10-15 FPS). Back of the envelope sketch says it shouldn't matter in my application, but I could always return it and take a small hit restocking fee. Thoughts?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I had thought the uplink was gigabit but nope, just 100 baseT.
So that will support around 70Mbps aggregate traffic on each uplink.
That equates to over 12Mbps bitrate per camera for 5 off.
So doesn't sound too bad.

Does the switch support any form of link aggregation?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a basic POE switch so no aggregation as far as I can tell. But your numbers match mine; I should be fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Frankenscript, you don't state where you are based. I'm guessing US, but it's relevant as re-stocking fees are outlawed against consumers in some countries. eg UK.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Frankenscript, you don't state where you are based. I'm guessing US, but it's relevant as re-stocking fees are outlawed against consumers in some countries. eg UK.
U.S.A., but it looks like the switch will work fine in my application so I will roll with it. It was only $60 anyway...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure that whatever it is connected to upstream does not reduce all its other ports to 100 megabit... if that would be an issue for you.

Cheers, Steve