Critique my set-up for BI

hello_rai

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I just wanted to say thanks for providing such a great resource and forum!

Was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback on my set-up.

For example, the computer running BI-- would you consider it more than enough for my set-up; is the location being in the loft area (which would serve as the office) ideal?
Your thoughts on a doorbell selection or the indoor camera that I've chosen?

Equipment/Software:
  • Computer - ASUS K501LX-EB71 Gaming Laptop 5th Gene Intel Core i7 5500U (2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 256GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-Bit

The home is 2500 square feet. There is a built-in enclosure in the master bedroom walk in closet that will house the modem, router, PoE switch, and wiring from the cameras. I would place the computer running the blue iris software on that same floor in a different room (the loft). I was considering a PoE indoor camera, but I really like what this one offers in regards to the built-in speaker and microphone.

If you could let me know your thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Example Set-up of Security Network.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 2.05.12 AM.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome, if you haven't yet, read the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.
Also read the choosing a computer for BI in the wiki. Laptops dont' generally do well.
Indoor cams: ANNKE I61DR 2MP (Hikvision Cube Clone)
The switch you listed only has 4 poe ports.

In my opinion, doorbell cams aren't ready for prime time yet, unless you like to continually tinker.
Both the LTS and the Nellys' doorbell cam you list are both exactly the same cam, a re-branded Hikvision.
Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

Put up a good cam at the front door, with a 2.8mm lens, such as the
Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Instead.
Set up notifications from BI to your BI phone app, and it'll do much the same.

hello_rai

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for catching these very newbie mistakes. I guess I misinterpreted the recommended specifications in the wiki with the laptop’s specifications. I thought the processor and other pieces were in line with what was recommended.

And actually, I did look at that exact Annke camera so thanks for confirming that it might actually be the better alternative!