Curious about audio recording and recording all footage

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm curious about a couple of recording options. Do most of you record all footage continuously or do you record based on motion or some other trigger? Also, for cameras with mic capability, do you record audio as well, or only video?

Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious about a couple of recording options. Do most of you record all footage continuously or do you record based on motion or some other trigger? Also, for cameras with mic capability, do you record audio as well, or only video?

Thanks.
Record 24/7 and on motion, Recording audio can be helpful, but know your local laws concerning it.
Motion may miss something, so you have the 24/7 to go back on as backup.
Also, if your cams have the ability for an SD card, use that as well as another fail safe.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess you're right, I should check on my local laws. I know many areas have laws about people being recorded without their express permission, audio or video, but I would think that, surely, anyone breaking into your home, vandalizing outside, whatever, would not have those same rights if they were recorded in the commission of illegal activity in or around your home. I definitely need to look into this a little more.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Motion may miss something, so you have the 24/7 to go back on as backup.
x2 on this.

Also sometimes when motion occurs on one camera, you may want to see what was going on with other cameras (even if they didn't trigger motion).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess you're right, I should check on my local laws. I know many areas have laws about people being recorded without their express permission, audio or video, but I would think that, surely, anyone breaking into your home, vandalizing outside, whatever, would not have those same rights if they were recorded in the commission of illegal activity in or around your home. I definitely need to look into this a little more.
HI @bfollowell

Some Lawyers given a chance to profit at your expense will. So do post signs and know your laws well enough in your area.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some Lawyers given a chance to profit at your expense will. So do post signs and know your laws well enough in your area.
I definitely will before I start putting up outdoor cameras. Right now I just have the one Hikvision Cube camera in our great room and a Blue Iris server setup and going and I'm playing and learning, so I'm not overly concerned. We have an alarm in addition to the camera, and my wife and I have access to a loaded 9mm and 38 special in the bedroom closets. If anyone comes in on us, we'll defend ourselves, and I'm not overly concerned with anyone being in any condition afterwards to try to sue or press charges or worry because their recording rights were violated.

I'll make sure we're in good shape law and sign-wise before I get going again with more cameras though.