Custom Connecting 2 swann NVR's

Abbott

n3wb
Reaction score
Wanted to see if you guys could tell me if this would work.

I have a lake house where I am going to put the new Swann platinum edition (7300) 8 POE 3MP camera set up around the house.

I also bought the exact same system but with 4 cameras. Reason being is I want to put 4 cameras around my enclosed boathouse down at the lake 200 ft away.

So now I have (2) Swann NVR's I want to run from my office in the house vs having one in the boathouse for those 4 cameras and one in the house for those 8.

I have power to the boathouse and I ran cat6 cabling to the inside as well (begins in my office).

My set-up is going to be this from the wall jack in the house (AT&T Uverse):::
> wall jack
> ATT modem (router turned off)
> Netgear R8000 Tri Band Router
> (Switch 1) Netgear Gigabit POE 16 port switch
> Then all my house stuff to the 16 port switch #1 (TV's, printer, pc's, ADT Pulse Server, IRIS, NAS, WAP's, etc...)

My Cat 6 line to the boathouse: I would like to have a Wireless Access Point down there and a 5 port Poe switch (switch #2) in the boathouse for the 4 cameras to hook to. (Line to boathouse from the 16 port switch > then to the WAP > then to the 5 port Poe switch where the cams plug into).

So going from boathouse back up to the house via my underground cat 6 I intended to go to my 16 port switch which would also have both NVR systems on it.

Knowing all that, my question is: Can I run the 4 boathouse cams that way and have it view on my PC back at the house correctly with the right NVR off the 16 port switch in my office?

My 8 and 4 cam NVR's would now be on the same 16 port switch but the 8 camera setup would be wired correctly on each port to that NVR. My 4 cam setup would only be a patch cable to that NVR (but off the 16 port switch).

Would this conflict? Two Swann's on the same switch one of which would be camera fed from another switch?

Would DHCP Reservation solve this on the Netgear Router side?

Make sense?
My goal is to have all my network and security items in one clean/organized location under my house which is very secure in a modified 5 ft tall 1,800 lb gun safe vs an NVR in the house and another NVR away in a not so secure area inside the boathouse.

Thanks and sorry if this sounds nuts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would DHCP Reservation solve this on the Netgear Router side?

Make sense?
What you've described sounds fine - it sounds like you understand how you can hook everything together.
Personally, I'd apply fixed IP addresses to the NVRs so you know exactly where they are on the network, independent of the DHCP server on the router. But DHCP reservations would work perfectly well.
On the boathouse - just be a bit conscious of the aggregate camera and WiFi traffic. Is your switch #2 gigabit? And are the ethernet ports on the WAP 10/100?
If the switch #2 is gigabit, I'd use one of the 5 ports as a gigabit uplink to the house, 3 of them for the cameras, the last for the WAP, and plug one camera into the WAP.
A slightly assymetrical arrangement, but would keep your uplink as a gigabit connection.
And even if the switch #2 is not gigabit, the switch is likely to handle the aggregate traffic (say 4 x 4-6Mbps + WiFi usage, so OK for 10/100) better than a WAP, though in theory they should both be able to handle all ports at full speed.

Abbott

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesom thank you!!! Yes all switches and WAP are gigabit, I made sure to get the fastest possible equipment when I was building this layout on a spreadsheet. I do have uplink connection ports on these Netgear Poe switches.

I'll give it a shot.

So you think my network will be able to divert the camera traffic up to the house to the appropriate NVR since 2 will be on it? Or will the IP Reservation be what solves this? I have limited knowledge on that process but know how to set it up though.

Really appreciate all the help on this idea!!!

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any typos.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have gigabit connection throughout - you have no worries about traffic levels due to cameras or NVRs - even several dozens of HD cameras at say 4-6Mbps each are not going to cause congestion on 1000Mbps connections such as the uplink, or the NVR LAN ports.
You're creating a multi-lane motorway network as opposed to one made up of country roads.
So you think my network will be able to divert the camera traffic up to the house to the appropriate NVR since 2 will be on it? Or will the IP Reservation be what solves this?
On the switched (ie not routed) network you have described, IP reservations will not affect how the traffic flows.
What it will do is to ensure that devices where their network configuration is set to DHCP will have a known, predictable IP address, as opposed to being offered an address from the DHCP pool.
That's a good thing for an NVR, and the cameras on the LAN.
The switches will automatically handle what packets are forwarded to which ports, by using the MAC address of the connected devices, and by knowing the port that the device is associated with.

Abbott

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect. This is turning out way too well so far....just waiting for the house to burn down now or something similar..Nothing ever runs this smooth for me...

Abbott

n3wb
Reaction score
Since NVR 1 will have a normal hook up with all 8 cams hooked directly to the cam ports on the back, would NVR 2 need to have a patch cable coming from switch to one of the 4 available cam ports?

The cat 6 cable coming from boathouse would be coming in the house and to the switch (where NVR 2 will be as well) but I had not planned on anything going into any of the 4 cam ports on the back of that NVR.

My thinking now is that in addition to NVR 2 being on the 16 port office switch for network access, I would need a cable from one of the open office switch ports back to one one of the video slots on NVR 2 as well. What do you guys think?

I would have normally run the long boathouse cable directly to the NVR video slot, but the boathouse has a WAP on that line in addition to the 4 cams (and another switch) so I'm thinking (because of the access point) that it has to hit the 16 port switch for the boathouse access point to work properly.

I think I'm missing that one short connection to the NVR (patch cable) but I'm not sure if it's even needed. Just feels funny if I build this with all the video slots empty for that NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
would NVR 2 need to have a patch cable coming from switch to one of the 4 available cam ports?
No, as long as NVR2 LAN port is connected to the 16 port office switch, all will be fine.
The 4 remote cameras in the boathouse will have LAN IP addresses and be set up in the NVR as LAN-connected cameras.
Arguably it is a bit of a waste having an NVR with PoE ports and nothing plugged in to them - but in some respects the same could be said for the very safe option of gigabit connections vs 10/100 throughout your network.

On NVR2 - how many channels, and how many PoE ports? If these numbers are the same, and it works the same as the Hikvision NVR, the LAN cameras need to be configured on the NVR using 'Modify' on a PoE channel, as 'Add' and 'Delete' are not available for the fixed channels.

GBot

n3wb
Reaction score
So going from boathouse back up to the house via my underground cat 6...
Question for anyone who knows better than me, is this dangerous?

My understanding is that this in some way "bonds" the two buildings electrically, which means a surge or lightning strike could cause a surge in the other building, or something worse.

The proposed solution was a media converter box like the one below in each building with fiber optic cable connecting the two (no electricity with fiber optics).
http://www.amazon.com/MC200CM-Converter-1000Mbps-multi-mode-mountable/dp/B003AVRLZI

This was just info found from my research on a project that's still on my to do list. Would greatly appreciate expert feedback.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, potentially (get it? lol).. you should be using properly rated underground cabling with shielded ends connected to a lightning ground at the service entrance to your primary building.. and your boat house needs to be grounded correctly too especially since its near the shore I presume.

I suggest something like this on the outside of your house where the Cat6 comes in, wired directly to a grounding rod, or copper water pipe: http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Protector-Outdoor-Gigabit-1000Mbs/dp/B008060BU0/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41wvZVnN1kL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR83,160_&refRID=0M4YS1AC5Y3RDC110MS2

200ft is really not long enough to justify Fiber, but if your in a lightning prone area (Flordia?) you might still consider it just to keep those 2 buildings isolated.. presuming your boat house has its own electrical meeter, if not your house is still in-between the utility and the boathouse so dont bother.. wont help much if any.

If you have metal cased NVR's and switches without 3 Prong Plugs or internal power supplies look for a chassis ground screw on the back.. many times these devices will be designed to be mounted in a metal rack that provides a chassis ground, so if your not giving it that then do something to ground the switches/nvrs... they would be unlikely to survive but such precautions could save the devices plugged into em.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Abbott

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the clarification.

On the other responses, yes I am grounded at the house and down at the water (boathouse). The Cat 6 is about 190 ft long from boathouse Jack to office switch and was run in a separate conduit away from the 80amps of power service to the boathouse. Very meticulously done.

I was anal about crosstalk via the number 8 wire that runs down as well as water intrusion at any point along the way. Made them go a long way around and opposite side of structure. The contractor hated me as I watched every move they made. Drew out all my plans on excel beforehand and handed it to them but if I hadn't, those idiots would have run my water line, power line and cat 6 all in a single 3" pipe. I would have drowned them all.....