Customized Members Build

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Simple answer on the cable: Cat6 is certified for faster speeds and its a larger gauge wire.

5e is certified for 1 gigabit. Cat6 is certified for 10 gigabit.
Cat6 is 23G vs 24g for Cat5e.
And the interference specs are much tighter on Cat6, so there should be less noise on the line.
Yes I understand that, but what effect will it have on surveillance video recordings?

1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 500MHz, 23AWG, Blue - Monoprice.com
That's a great prince, but the shipping is $31.43 Total $121.42

but thanks, I will take a look and see what I can do. Maybe I'll just eat it, as I did with the Reolink :)

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I understand that, but what effect will it have on surveillance video recordings?{/QUOTE]

Currently None. Its mainly future proofing. Since you already have cable, I'd just use what you have. 5E is still nice cable. No sense in getting rid of it. Use what you have. I just didn't know you already had the cable. :) Had I known that, I wouldn't have said anything about cable. I wouldn't stress about it. Even 5e runs faster than your cams can send.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hmmm found this for $99.99 free shipping....

Zactron 1000 Feet CAT6 UTP 23 AWG Solid Copper, CMR Riser Rated, UL Listed, Pull Box, Blue
Price: $99.99 free shipping
http://amzn.to/2Bj3sAH

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, after days of searching though threads and a lot of coffee, and some good help and advice form a "CountZero", I feel comfortable with my equipment selections.

Video Surveillance Equipment, cameras, mounts, software, computer and HDMI Tablet.
1) NVR5216-4KS2
2) WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive
1) Blue Iris
2) DGS-1210-10P D-Link Systems 10-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE Switch
Multiple = IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Multiple = IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
Multiple = PFB203W mount
2) IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
Cat6 Solid Copper Wiring

Video Surveillance Viewing:
NVR Monitor
i7 Tower Monitors
i7 Laptop
and Smartphone

ALso after doing some research, I wanted to know how I would be viewing the surveillance Cameras from within my house and from in different rooms. I thought that I would need wiring and connections to every TV in my house, but after talking with "CountZero", I decided on a simplified way, by simply using a Tablet with an HDMI port. Simply plug and play :)

So I feel that a HDMI Tablet would be nice to have for the purpose of connecting to my large wall mounted TV screens in different rooms.
Therefore, I will be getting a 10+ inch HDMI Tablet, that I can take into any room with a TV and view all the live camera feeds when needed.

Equipment on order, The install and build to be continued soon.

Thanks CZ

Last edited:

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At least we know that Dahua Technology is a profitable company which should be around for many years...

upload_2017-12-16_8-13-37.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Customized Members Build

OK Members, so you've been an active member of this cool forum for a while now.

Why don't you show us what you learned, and share some of your knowledge.

If you could start all over and do a new security build from scratch on your house today, what components would you go with?

Cameras
NVR
Software etc...
I'm not super picky on cameras but I would do a PC based NVR every time for sure. I'm using a combination of Video Insight and Sighthound.

Reaction score
OK, after days of searching though threads and a lot of coffee, and some good help and advice form a "CountZero", I feel comfortable with my equipment selections.

Video Surveillance Equipment, cameras, mounts, software, computer and HDMI Tablet.
1) NVR5216-4KS2
2) WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive
1) Blue Iris
2) DGS-1210-10P D-Link Systems 10-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE Switch
Multiple = IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Multiple = IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
Multiple = PFB203W mount
2) IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
Cat6 Solid Copper Wiring

Video Surveillance Viewing:
NVR Monitor
i7 Tower Monitors
i7 Laptop
and Smartphone

ALso after doing some research, I wanted to know how I would be viewing the surveillance Cameras from within my house and from in different rooms. I thought that I would need wiring and connections to every TV in my house, but after talking with "CountZero", I decided on a simplified way, by simply using a Tablet with an HDMI port. Simply plug and play :)

So I feel that a HDMI Tablet would be nice to have for the purpose of connecting to my large wall mounted TV screens in different rooms.
Therefore, I will be getting a 10+ inch HDMI Tablet, that I can take into any room with a TV and view all the live camera feeds when needed.

Equipment on order, The install and build to be continued soon.

Thanks CZ
I'm not sure I understand why you would buy Blue Iris *and* an NVR. Blue Iris is NVR software you use on a PC to turn your PC into an NVR. Can you elaborate on your decision to do this? Do you want the NVR as a permanent stand by/backup and the Blue Iris software as more of a notifications vehicle?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why you would buy Blue Iris *and* an NVR. Blue Iris is NVR software you use on a PC to turn your PC into an NVR. Can you elaborate on your decision to do this? Do you want the NVR as a permanent stand by/backup and the Blue Iris software as more of a notifications vehicle?
Easy... you can use your computer or lattop with BI
your can use your NVR alone
you can download apps for Tablet and phone...
just more choices of what you can do with your system and cameras...

For instance, if I am home, obviously it/ the computer will be off/ not monitoring videos... When I go away from the house, offshore fishing for a day or few days, I will turn it on/ the computer on to monitor and record... and when working on it, I would simply exit out of BI... so it will be redundant when away from home as needed...

at-least that's my plans :)

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm also using a
PIR Ceiling Occupancy Motion Sensor http://amzn.to/2yLj8au
to turn on my lights on the front and rear porch, there are 5 overhead flush mounted lights that light up as soon as the IR detects a person, so there is enough light to use a 2k or 4k.. As soon as the lights go on, I do not think a thief would stick around, and the cameras on the porch should capture them in color mode... of course need to play with them to get the angles right.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.