Customized Members Build

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone on here buy the prepackaged unit like the new 4K from Lorex by Flir.. I was looking at there 16 camera units.
I still have a lot to learn, like why do some use NVR systems, and other just use a computer? or can you use both at the same time?

Thanks
Hi Saltster,

I have been very impressed with the BF-cyberweek deals from LorexTechnology.com on their higher end 4K systems.

Upside, the higher end models are clearly quality Dahua OEM models, some are even varifocal.

They had a really nice 8x varifocal kit + 16 port NVR for $1600.

Had I a really nice larger house, I would probably have jumped on that and then added 8x Dahua OEM starlights to the kit from the models which CountZero lists below.

I would use a PFA121 or PFA130E junction box or PFB203W wall mount for each camera. ( which I really like and recommend )

I don't much care for the black color of the new Lorex cameras - so I probably would paint them to match the home.

Downside to the Lorex NVR kits is that they have disabled the Dahua IVS features and focus on motion detection - not certain if they also disabled these features on their cameras. Hopefully not, or hopefully I can upgrade the firmware to re-install those features.

Furthermore I would pick up a nice 24 port PoE switch, and get a nice killer i7 windows PC and run Blue Iris on it.

Then I would have both the NVR and Blue Iris record - putting a lot of HDDs in the Blue Iris system. Hide the Blue Iris system, and have the NVR accessible for any thieves.

Thieves may take the NVR, but will not get the videos!

That would be a nice setup!! May even put a Dahua starlight PTZ.

ah... that would be a very nice setup.

Remember those are International part numbers. So they don't always show up on the US site. :) They are still there and available if you want the spec sheets.

R-Z:
IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Z5:
IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Z12:
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so which Dahua NVR 16 channel would you recommend?
Hi Saltster,

I have the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 - it works well enough, as all 1U style boxes - the fans are a bit loud so keep away from bedrooms and media center areas.

I'm a little tight on space, so a lower profile system works well - and I already had a 1Gb switch ( non-PoE ) for the rest of my network.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Customized Members Build

OK Members, so you've been an active member of this cool forum for a while now.

Why don't you show us what you learned, and share some of your knowledge.

If you could start all over and do a new security build from scratch on your house today, what components would you go with?

Cameras
NVR
Software etc...
Numerous members here do that everyday, multiple times per day. Search is your friend.
Read, and all your questions have been answered many times over.
My choices are listed in my sig. Remain the same to this day.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Downside to the Lorex NVR kits is that they have disabled the Dahua IVS features and focus on motion detection - not certain if they also disabled these features on their cameras.
Bummer if they do? I may call and ask.

get a nice killer i7 windows PC .
Just so happens that I just built a tower with the below components:

1) ASRock Z270 TAICHI LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
1) Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
1) Intel SSD 600p Series (512GB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC)
1)WD Blue 3TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD30EZRZ
2) GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 DirectX 12 GV-RX460WF2OC-4GD 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x8 ATX Video Card
2) G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
1)Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
1)COUGAR Panzer Max Black ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case
6) HP 22” monitors
1 x Acronis True Image 2017 - 3 Devices
1) Win 10
1) Tripp Lite 1500VA 900W UPS Battery Back Up, AVR, LCD Display

Then I would have both the NVR and Blue Iris record - putting a lot of HDDs in the Blue Iris system.
I was wondering if it was possible to record off of the computer AND a NVR at the same time.

I would pick up a nice 24 port PoE switch
Any particular brand or model?

Also how would you connect the Cameras to the NVR AND the Computer at the same time?

Thanks for your input.
Sam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can record to both using a poe switch....you dont need a system like that..dedicate another pc for the task...you dont want to use reolink cams as they are known to have steaming issues that reolink refuses or cant fix.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can record to both using a poe switch....you dont need a system like that..dedicate another pc for the task...you dont want to use reolink cams as they are known to have steaming issues that reolink refuses or cant fix.
Thanks, and as I posted above:
this way I could decide on some new equipment, and trash the Reolink. I sent them a few emails, and did not like their responses.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still would like to know which NVR would be best for 16 cameras?
Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

Definitely feel free to contact Lorex and determine the state of IVS in their products. Hopefully with more customers showing interest they may support it.

In terms of switches - amcrest.com had a BF - cyberweek deal on what appears a rebranded Dahua OEM 16 port and 24 port switch, last I checked the prices were up a little bit - but still within reason.

Giomania has a thread on a PoE switch list: PoE Switch Suggestion List

I would be looking for a PoE+ switch for a 16-24 port switch.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

Definitely feel free to contact Lorex and determine the state of IVS in their products. Hopefully with more customers showing interest they may support it.

In terms of switches - amcrest.com had a BF - cyberweek deal on what appears a rebranded Dahua OEM 16 port and 24 port switch, last I checked the prices were up a little bit - but still within reason.

Giomania has a thread on a PoE switch list: PoE Switch Suggestion List

I would be looking for a PoE+ switch for a 16-24 port switch.
Thanks, I will be looking for one.
I'm putting together a list of equipment to order, hopefully this week.

Which 16 camera NVR is most going with?

Sam

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I will be looking for one.
I'm putting together a list of equipment to order, hopefully this week.

Which 16 camera NVR is most going with?

Sam
Hi Sam,

With firmware updates the following one seems very popular here:
NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( there's a nice thread on that here also )

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

With firmware updates the following one seems very popular here:
NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( there's a nice thread on that here also )
Mat, I'm a little confused as to why some talk about the NVR Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 with out PoE... I thought PoE was good to have on your NVE? And thought would be appreciate it.
Thanks
Sam

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mat, I'm a little confused as to why some talk about the NVR Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 with out PoE... I thought PoE was good to have on your NVE? And thought would be appreciate it.
Thanks
Sam
Hi Sam,

So a NVR does not have to have PoE ports - that is optional. Typically NVRs in kits include PoE ports - as that is cheaper than having a separate PoE switch.

Sometimes it is nice to directly access your cameras - and a separate PoE switch makes that easier ( there's a thread on hitting cameras directly when they are connected to a NVR w/PoE ports )
( The NVR may not allow you access to all the "knobs" and "levers" that a camera has - such as shutter speed )

As with anything IP - there is a number of ways to configure your setup.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sometimes it is nice to directly access your cameras - and a separate PoE switch makes that easier
OK cool, I now need to find some info on this.

( The NVR may not allow you access to all the "knobs" and "levers" that a camera has - such as shutter speed )
Wow, I did not know this, Glad I found this out before I ordered the NVR5216-4KS2... So I guess the NVR5216-4KS2 comes with and without PoE? and I guess I should be looking into a separate PoE switch.

searching and finding this info if vert time consuming, Glad you are giving me some well needed direction. Thanks.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depending on where you need to install your equipment, you may not need a separate POE switch. If you can terminate all of your cam cables in the same place as all of your internet/networking gear. Or if you can put all your cam cables into the same place and then easily get another cable back to your network equipment, then having POE in the NVR can be an easy way to go. If you may be installing cameras in different areas or even different buildings, and don't have any easy way to get all the cables to the same place, then separate POE might be a better option for you. Keep in mind though that separate POE adds complexity to your overall system.

For my particular setup, I have most of my camera cabling exiting into a closet where I have easy attic access. That room is nowhere near my network closet though. For me it was easier to run one Cat6 cable between the rooms rather than try to terminate all the cameras into the newly designated network closet. That also allowed me to put a second switch into an outbuilding that I have so I can mount additional cameras out there and still connect them to the system. (I already had a CAT6 cable run out to the building. So adding a POE switch out there gave me an instant connection for multiple cameras.) I currently have 3 Cameras on the outbuilding, 1 wired into the network closet, and 7 terminating in a back closet. That means I have 3 POE capable switches on my network though.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on where you need to install your equipment, you may not need a separate POE switch. If you can terminate all of your cam cables in the same place as all of your internet/networking gear. Or if you can put all your cam cables into the same place and then easily get another cable back to your network equipment, then having POE in the NVR can be an easy way to go. If you may be installing cameras in different areas or even different buildings, and don't have any easy way to get all the cables to the same place, then separate POE might be a better option for you. Keep in mind though that separate POE adds complexity to your overall system.

For my particular setup, I have most of my camera cabling exiting into a closet where I have easy attic access. That room is nowhere near my network closet though. For me it was easier to run one Cat6 cable between the rooms rather than try to terminate all the cameras into the newly designated network closet. That also allowed me to put a second switch into an outbuilding that I have so I can mount additional cameras out there and still connect them to the system. (I already had a CAT6 cable run out to the building. So adding a POE switch out there gave me an instant connection for multiple cameras.) I currently have 3 Cameras on the outbuilding, 1 wired into the network closet, and 7 terminating in a back closet. That means I have 3 POE capable switches on my network though.
Thanks for your reply, I have a few option on equipment placement.
1) upstairs closet which backs up to the attic, Easiest assess to attic to run all the network cabling... (like with yours)
2) have just the PoE switch in the upstairs closet, (along with my alarm panel enclosures), and the NVR downstairs in my office... Which would be nice to have the monitor on the wall in my downstairs office, and a second monitor (HDMI cable) though that wall, so two HDMI posts on the NVR would be nice for two monitors. Right now I am viewing through my network wireless to my Laptop.

I am concerned about which you stated,t a separate POE adds complexity to your overall system. hopefully not that difficult?

Thanks
Sam

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you get basic POE switches then it's mainly more cabling and more things you have to plug in to power. :) Each switch needs an Ethernet cable back to your hub/router/another switch, and a plug so you can feed it power.

For my network closet, I needed to add an electrical box and a new outlet in the ceiling of that closet so I'd have power for everything. For the cams in the back closet I just have an extension cord going under the closet door feeding a UPS for power. That's why its important to plan as much as you can up front. The more organized you can be in the attic, the less hassle it ends up being. Most people generally aren't too excited about having to do an extra day in the attic because they forgot something the first time.

It really boils down to what you want to do, and what equipment you are going to need to make that happen.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you get basic POE switches then it's mainly more cabling and more things you have to plug in to power. :) Each switch needs an Ethernet cable back to your hub/router/another switch, and a plug so you can feed it power.

For my network closet, I needed to add an electrical box and a new outlet in the ceiling of that closet so I'd have power for everything. For the cams in the back closet I just have an extension cord going under the closet door feeding a UPS for power. That's why its important to plan as much as you can up front. The more organized you can be in the attic, the less hassle it ends up being. Most people generally aren't too excited about having to do an extra day in the attic because they forgot something the first time.

It really boils down to what you want to do, and what equipment you are going to need to make that happen.
OK Cool, that kind of stuff is easy,

I have Outlets handy in large closet, cabling is easy, my router has 4 ports and an external 4 ports. only two ports available.

That's why its important to plan as much as you can up front.
yep, that's why I posting and asking questions.

Just did a search on Amazon for posts. Lots of options.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=16+Port+PoE

Thanks
Sam

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.