D- Grade Install at 6 Flags

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I was at a Upstate NY Six Flags Amusement park today, Hope this was not a professional Install. I believe I counted 5 that looked a LOT like this one.

6flags.jpg

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
++1, should have at least used black zip ties to match the camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how would one go about installing on a major I beam like that? Some sort of bracket that clamps on the beam that has a plate or post you can attach cam to? I’m sure they were unable to drill into the ibeam due to code. Plus that would be a bitch

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m sure you could rig something up that clamps to both sides of the beam. If you knew how to weld, get a square piece of steel and prep that non structural steel to work with the camera and weld it to the bottom. Epoxying the steel to the steel would probably work, I bet there is even a specific type of epoxy for steel applications.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m sure you could rig something up that clamps to both sides of the beam. If you knew how to weld, get a square piece of steel and prep that non structural steel to work with the camera and weld it to the bottom. Epoxying the steel to the steel would probably work, I bet there is even a specific type of epoxy for steel applications.
I don’t know any installers that carry welders with them. And a place like that is going to bid it out to the lowest bidder probably

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh your absolutely right. I was thinking more what would I do to install it myself... I didn’t consider how an installer would bid this. As we can see, zip ties was low bid!

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect Gordon Ramsay's advance scouting team has been in before they shoot an episode of Gordon Ramsay's Amusment Park Nightmares.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh your absolutely right. I was thinking more what would I do to install it myself... I didn’t consider how an installer would bid this. As we can see, zip ties was low bid!
Someone should market a magnet mount

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Someone should market a magnet mount

Super awesome rare earth magnets! But actually thinking about this from the contractor viewpoint, if you have ever been inside a parking garage, they run all the electrical through conduit attached to the steel by metal clips. The conduit runs to the junction box and is pretty sturdy with the help from the conduit. That would have been a better method to install this camera under that beam, but like you said low dollar usually wins.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Super awesome rare earth magnets! But actually thinking about this from the contractor viewpoint, if you have ever been inside a parking garage, they run all the electrical through conduit attached to the steel by metal clips. The conduit runs to the junction box and is pretty sturdy with the help from the conduit. That would have been a better method to install this camera under that beam, but like you said low dollar usually wins.
I’m guilty of using tie wraps. And if I serious I uses stainless steal tie wraps. Those aren’t going to hold up for to many year in that picture. At least there is a safety cat cable

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No welding needed.

Yep, as @archedraft stated, a beam clamp, a box and a lid, all steel, all for under $3 total would have made the install more professional, less vulnerable to vandalism and frankly, closer to the way it should have done in the first place.

All this can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Attach the box to the clamp(s), the clamp(s) to the beam, mount cam to the lid, attach lid to the box....all in less than 10 minutes.

Even if you didn't run conduit all the way at the very least run a length of liquidtite (grey vinyl covered flexible electrical conduit) and clamp behind the beam, just long enough and far enough to get it up and away from a vandal that would try to jump up and snag it.... maybe another $5 ?

FWIW, I think I see a coax connector and maybe a hint of red for the 12VDC connector.

beam-clamp.jpg steel_4x4_box.jpg steel_4x4_cover.jpg

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how would one go about installing on a major I beam like that? Some sort of bracket that clamps on the beam that has a plate or post you can attach cam to? I’m sure they were unable to drill into the ibeam due to code. Plus that would be a bitch

I usually will use a piece of angle Iron and beam clamps

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly.....no drilling, no welding....bada bing-bada boom.:cool:
Depending On the beam, Some older buildings have structural beams that cannot be drilled period, If you are clever, you will find a work around.

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A box stuck on with a grab adhesive probably wouldn't go anywhere.

Ozziel

n3wb
Reaction score
You should never mess with a structural piece of steel - especially the underside since that's where the tensile stress is focused. Welding's as bad as drilling since heat changes the temper, creating origin points for cracks. I'm with the clamp-camp! Now with concrete, well, let me tell you... ;)