D-Max Cameras Question

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,
I’m new here & am enjoying reading the threads. I’m looking for information on what mobile app is associated with a D-Max multiple indoor security camera setup installed more than 5 years ago. I’m looking to recover video from over 45 days ago (I believe video is stored on the server for 90 days) and I know I’m in the beginning stages of this possibly impossible journey. It’s in reference to my brother’s last 24 hours on this Earth, so it’s of the utmost importance to me. Thanks for any help you’re able to provide!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,
I’m new here & am enjoying reading the threads. I’m looking for information on what mobile app is associated with a D-Max multiple indoor security camera setup installed more than 5 years ago. I’m looking to recover video from over 45 days ago (I believe video is stored on the server for 90 days) and I know I’m in the beginning stages of this possibly impossible journey. It’s in reference to my brother’s last 24 hours on this Earth, so it’s of the utmost importance to me. Thanks for any help you’re able to provide!
Welcome @Jen0424

Do you have more information on the D-Max setup?

Is it a on-premise setup? ( that is no cloud storage )
Do you have an DVR / NVR ?
Cameras?

Do you know who set it up? Who managed it?

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @Jen0424

Cameras?

Welcome @Jen0424

Cameras?

Hi @mat200 and thank you for the welcome and replying. I know my brother & his wife at the time set up the cameras that are mounted to the ceiling in the living room, dining room, kitchen, loft area, and near the stairs that lead to the 2nd floor. I know it involved feeding wires through the ceiling for each camera. I was told there is a box located in their bedroom and I’m going to guess that is the DVR. I know there is no monthly monitoring company/fee, so I am looking for information on what mobile app would be used/is standard with a set of D-Max indoor security cameras to monitor activity. It’s a bit of a complicated scenario at the moment in trying to gain access to the DVR box itself where I assume an IP address would be noted. I’m not sure if any of that helps at all. I am attempting to secure footage before it essentially expires, which I believe is a 90-day period which is sadly quickly-approaching. Any assistance you’re able to provide is appreciated, but I know my information is pretty limited right now. Thanks again!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200 and thank you for the welcome and replying. I know my brother & his wife at the time set up the cameras that are mounted to the ceiling in the living room, dining room, kitchen, loft area, and near the stairs that lead to the 2nd floor. I know it involved feeding wires through the ceiling for each camera. I was told there is a box located in their bedroom and I’m going to guess that is the DVR. I know there is no monthly monitoring company/fee, so I am looking for information on what mobile app would be used/is standard with a set of D-Max indoor security cameras to monitor activity. It’s a bit of a complicated scenario at the moment in trying to gain access to the DVR box itself where I assume an IP address would be noted. I’m not sure if any of that helps at all. I am attempting to secure footage before it essentially expires, which I believe is a 90-day period which is sadly quickly-approaching. Any assistance you’re able to provide is appreciated, but I know my information is pretty limited right now. Thanks again!
Hi @Jen0424

Most DVR / NVR boxes do not store that long of a period of video.

At this point you will want to go to the box and check how far back you can go.

You will want to attach a mouse and monitor to the DVR / NVR and run it from there. This will be the best and fastest option. You will need to know the user / password pair to login if it is enabled on the console.

You may need to stop recording if you are close to over writing the videos you want to keep.

You will want to see if you can make a backup of some sort.

Perhaps a USB external HDD is worth attempting here ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh, and remember .. often the backup video is in a DVR / NVR type format and will not simply play on a PC / phone .. so you may need to convert the video into something you can share ..

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Jen0424

Most DVR / NVR boxes do not store that long of a period of video.

At this point you will want to go to the box and check how far back you can go.

You will want to attach a mouse and monitor to the DVR / NVR and run it from there. This will be the best and fastest option. You will need to know the user / password pair to login if it is enabled on the console.

You may need to stop recording if you are close to over writing the videos you want to keep.

You will want to see if you can make a backup of some sort.

Perhaps a USB external HDD is worth attempting here ..
Thank you so much for your help with this issue. I do not know if/when I will be able to pursue even looking at the box due to it being in the custody of an individual who is considered to be uncooperative. Do you know how long video would be stored typically? Do you know what mobile app would be used to view footage? The person in possession of the box has the app on their phone and can view all cameras, but I do not know the name of the app to even attempt a login. I think what I want to accomplish may be impossible.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help with this issue. I do not know if/when I will be able to pursue even looking at the box due to it being in the custody of an individual who is considered to be uncooperative. Do you know how long video would be stored typically? Do you know what mobile app would be used to view footage? The person in possession of the box has the app on their phone and can view all cameras, but I do not know the name of the app to even attempt a login. I think what I want to accomplish may be impossible.
Hi @Jen0424

DVR / NVR boxes which are running typically under record continuously have 1/2 week - 2 weeks worth of hard drive space to record ( depends on settings selected, how many cameras and resolution, and of course hard drive size ).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A quick search indicates the same mentioned above - this is a local unit with no cloud service, so not sure where you are getting the 90 days from.

Most of these units have small drives in them and recording time is based on a variety of factors, but in most instances it is only a few weeks that are there before it is written over.

To manage expectations, I would say the video is gone and you need to get your hands on that unit ASAP to try to recover anything that may be left. If it is only written over once, you may be able to go to a computer place that can retrieve old files, but that window will close soon too.

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score
A quick search indicates the same mentioned above - this is a local unit with no cloud service, so not sure where you are getting the 90 days from.

Most of these units have small drives in them and recording time is based on a variety of factors, but in most instances it is only a few weeks that are there before it is written over.

To manage expectations, I would say the video is gone and you need to get your hands on that unit ASAP to try to recover anything that may be left. If it is only written over once, you may be able to go to a computer place that can retrieve old files, but that window will close soon too.
Thank you very much for your assistance. The 90-day retention may just be applicable to their outdoor camera system, which is separate from the indoor camera system I have just recently learned.

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score

Part of the problem is the person who is in possession of the unit is the person who does not want me to view the videos. I am not giving up yet. I am just beyond upset and frustrated. You all have been very helpful and I will remain a member of this Forum because it seems there is a wealth of knowledge here!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is very unfortunate that someone would withhold that video - almost like there is a reason they don't want you to see it. No idea the situation, but one has to wonder if they are guilty of something they don't want seen?

Wonder if you could get a court order to get access?

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score
That is very unfortunate that someone would withhold that video - almost like there is a reason they don't want you to see it. No idea the situation, but one has to wonder if they are guilty of something they don't want seen?

Wonder if you could get a court order to get access?
Those are my exact feelings and yes, I do believe that is the case. I want to verify if the video corresponds to the statement provided to the Detectives, since words cannot be trusted here. I’m trying to establish a definitive timeline here, but since the manner of death was ruled a suicide, the Police are not interested in investigating further. I am seeking all data I can possibly secure since I feel I am on my own with this pursuit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh wow that sucks. I am so sorry to hear that.

I would suggest talking to an attorney ASAP.

For all you know this person could have destroyed the NVR by now, but it sounds like you need to try to gain access to it and see if someone can retrieve the written over video if that is the case.

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh wow that sucks. I am so sorry to hear that.

I would suggest talking to an attorney ASAP.

For all you know this person could have destroyed the NVR by now, but it sounds like you need to try to gain access to it and see if someone can retrieve the written over video if that is the case.
Yes, it really is a whole lot of suck over here. I think you’re right. I will try to go the attorney route. Thank you again. If you think of anything else I may be missing or have not considered, please let me know!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, do what you can to get the unit in your possession and then come back here with the model number and we should be able to help guide you as to what to try to gain access to it and see what you got.

Fingers crossed you can get your hands on it and the person didn't completely destroy it.

Jen0424

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, do what you can to get the unit in your possession and then come back here with the model number and we should be able to help guide you as to what to try to gain access to it and see what you got.

Fingers crossed you can get your hands on it and the person didn't completely destroy it.
Thank you again! I previously requested a photo of the box while appearing interested in purchasing my own indoor camera monitoring system in hopes of securing some kind of identifiable information from said picture. I have yet to receive the photo. I am not giving up yet, but I know time is of the essence here!