Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It certainly appears that very little if any real world testing gets done on any of the firmware prior to release. I hate being a beta tester. :)
It does seem that way sadly, I am in touch with Dahua so lets see if anything happens :rolleyes:

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put the new firmware on a couple days ago and haven't noticed anything different. No problems with the iris from light to dark, and auto-focus seems the same.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put the new firmware on a couple days ago and haven't noticed anything different. No problems with the iris from light to dark, and auto-focus seems the same.
Well I never did have much luck :D !! are you using PAL or NTSC out of interest? I am using PAL version, take it you haven't noticed any flickering/pulsing either.

Mine 100% has a focus problem (focus intermittently very slow or freezes altogether) and iris issues which are less critical but still annoying, the constant mild flickering is quite noticeable and going to drive me crazy pretty fast :eek:

Hard not to like this PTZ for the money but would be nice to get solid firmware to go with it.

Last edited:

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I never did have much luck :D !! are you using PAL or NTSC out of interest? I am using PAL version, take it you haven't noticed any flickering/pulsing either.

Mine 100% has a focus problem (intermittently very slow or freezes altogether) and iris issues which are less critical but still annoying, the constant mild flickering is quite noticeable and going to drive me crazy pretty fast :eek:

Hard not to like this PTZ for the money but would be nice to get solid firmware to go with it.
NTSC. Like you mine froze the first couple times I tried it. But after rebooting it took. I'd definitely try the NTSC version cuz you've got something going on. If that doesn't work maybe a factory reset.
No pulsing either, I've had minor flickering before on other cams and upping the bit-rate a little seemed to take care of it. But if you're freezing up I'd worry about that first.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NTSC. Like you mine froze the first couple times I tried it. But after rebooting it took. I'd definitely try the NTSC version cuz you've got something going on. If that doesn't work maybe a factory reset.
No pulsing either, I've had minor flickering before on other cams and upping the bit-rate a little seemed to take care of it. But if you're freezing up I'd worry about that first.
Wasn't clear in previous message, not easy to explain, it is only the focus that freezes, zooming and panning makes no difference, focus is just a blur, camera itself has never locked up and continues to function while focus is out. Might try the NTSC version or maybe factory reset first. Just to note I had to install the PTZ firmware first, this went smoothly and the camera module firmware loaded smoothly after that, all as expected. Maybe this is just a PAL version issue :idk:

This camera is running from a good quality HP POE+ switch so am pretty confident that isn't a problem, was fine until firmware update. Noticed that when trying to save settings via web interface it also fails sometimes and in the last 12 hours has changed some of the shutter speed settings of its own accord, I tried to change these back but it failed, then had to set that section to default before being able to change and save again. Might try the NTSC firmware later but feel more comfortable awaiting for Dahua's suggestions first.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
On mine when I hit the plus focus it will go out of focus. When I hit the minus focus it only comes back to just focused and no more. IMHO it should go out of focus again. It works so I do not want to mess with it.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having issues with my camera but only at night...certain presets or multiple uses of the ptz function will cause the camera to enter a reboot loop. I updated the latest firmware (9/5/17) and it seemed to help but did not resolve the issue. I also noticed the camera seemed to be stuck in some sort of night mode today until I rebooted it. Tonight I attempted to cycle through the same steps with the IR disabled to see if the issue was specifically related to the IR function but I still able to successfully reproduce the issue on demand. I have this connected to Cisco Catalyst 2960s PoE+ gigabit switch and have tried several configs including "power inline 2x-mode", "auto max 30000" and "manual max 30000" so I do not believe it is a PoE+ issue. It seems there is a holiday in china for the time being so I suppose I will test with a Cisco X-Series switch as well as a PoE injector I have from some our WAP devices. The repeatability of the issue tends to point towards firmware issue but the fact I have cycled through multiple firmwares with no resolution and generally maintaining the exact same symptoms I suspect perhaps it is actually a hardware issue. I plan to load NTSC version for testing as well but I'm not entirely certain they are much different are they? Are there any other suggestions or do you think I am looking at a hardware problem?

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm having issues with my camera but only at night...certain presets or multiple uses of the ptz function will cause the camera to enter a reboot loop. I updated the latest firmware (9/5/17) and it seemed to help but did not resolve the issue. I also noticed the camera seemed to be stuck in some sort of night mode today until I rebooted it. Tonight I attempted to cycle through the same steps with the IR disabled to see if the issue was specifically related to the IR function but I still able to successfully reproduce the issue on demand. I have this connected to Cisco Catalyst 2960s PoE+ gigabit switch and have tried several configs including "power inline 2x-mode", "auto max 30000" and "manual max 30000" so I do not believe it is a PoE+ issue. It seems there is a holiday in china for the time being so I suppose I will test with a Cisco X-Series switch as well as a PoE injector I have from some our WAP devices. The repeatability of the issue tends to point towards firmware issue but the fact I have cycled through multiple firmwares with no resolution and generally maintaining the exact same symptoms I suspect perhaps it is actually a hardware issue. I plan to load NTSC version for testing as well but I'm not entirely certain they are much different are they? Are there any other suggestions or do you think I am looking at a hardware problem?
That does sound like more than just firmware, especially if the problem existed with previous versions. I have always assumed the PAL and NTSC versions are almost identical but from reading other posts it seems that may not be the case. Hopefully Dahua will be able to assist or you can get this dealt with under warranty.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well my initial thoughts are do not jump to upgrade! focus seems worse to me and I have a very odd pulsing of noise on the image every second or more, that is the best way I can describe it, also the iris doesn't seem to respond well to light changes, it was better before and now seems like it wont open enough in darker areas. Focus seems softer to me as well, all in all I am not very impressed, especially since presets in Milestone are still not working, that was my main reason for the upgrade. Now the 64 million dollar question, is there an easy way to go back to previous firmware!? I will test some of the other things in your list later today but right now I would have been better sticking with previous firmware.

Just to note I have restarted the PTZ since upgrading and also powered down completely without any change to the focus issues and pulsing, the latter is almost like the camera is trying to refocus every second or more but clearly that is not the case. Pretty serious problem in my opinion and I hope Dahua will fix rapidly or send me the old firmware, how do these firmware versions get out the door without being detected in testing :facepalm: this must be a popular camera surely.

White balance does have the expected effect on image so that all looks fine to me. Shutter speed range in manual is from 1/25 to 1/30000 from what I can see. Update after switching to night mode the shutter range is 1/1 to 1/30000

There is now a reset option that allows either a full factory reset including IP address or a settings reset which keeps the IP address you initially configured.

Also noticed that when zooming in fully and then zooming back out to the wide end the focus can fail altogether regardless of what you do, requiring either a 'Lens init' via PTZ menu or a restart, sometimes it will come back to life of its own accord after a few minutes. Now I know what a guinea pig feels like :D
I have several of the old firmwares that I would be glad to send. Not sure if it will take it or not, but wouldn't hurt to try...Would be interesting to know. I would be willing to try it myself if I knew I could go back to the old firmware.

Also wouldn't hurt to try factory reset (I've had to do this to correct issues on mine before) and the NTSC version would not hurt to try.

The "pulsing" you're seeing every second or so is typically related to the iframe rate...The "iframe rate" is usually twice the "frame rate"; thus if your frame rate is 25 frames per second, your iframe rate is typically set to 50 frames (or 1 iframe every 2 second with the pulsing occurring on the iframes 2 seconds apart)...You can try changing the iframe to a different value and see if that changes the frequency of the pulsing. If so, that will confirm it's iframe related and that too much compression is being done between the iframes; typically fixed by increasing the bitrate of the stream. This is something else that the NTSC version may perform better with.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have several of the old firmwares that I would be glad to send. Not sure if it will take it or not, but wouldn't hurt to try...Would be interesting to know. I would be willing to try it myself if I knew I could go back to the old firmware.

Also wouldn't hurt to try factory reset (I've had to do this to correct issues on mine before) and the NTSC version would not hurt to try.

The "pulsing" you're seeing every second or so is typically related to the iframe rate...The "iframe rate" is usually twice the "frame rate"; thus if your frame rate is 25 frames per second, your iframe rate is typically set to 50 frames (or 1 iframe every 2 second with the pulsing occurring on the iframes 2 seconds apart)...You can try changing the iframe to a different value and see if that changes the frequency of the pulsing. If so, that will confirm it's iframe related and that too much compression is being done between the iframes; typically fixed by increasing the bitrate of the stream. This is something else that the NTSC version may perform better with.
Appreciate the offer and may well take you up on that depending on how my factory reset and NTSC attempts turn out. Frame rate and bitrate I have changed around with no improvement, I always match frame rate to iframe and tend to go with 15 for most applications unless faster moving objects are involved, bitrate tends to get set at 8192. Shall report back with the outcome from the factory reset and NTSC trial, hopefully one of those two will get it back on track.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Appreciate the offer and may well take you up on that depending on how my factory reset and NTSC attempts turn out. Frame rate and bitrate I have changed around with no improvement, I always match frame rate to iframe and tend to go with 15 for most applications unless faster moving objects are involved, bitrate tends to get set at 8192. Shall report back with the outcome from the factory reset and NTSC trial, hopefully one of those two will get it back on track.
Ok, will wait to hear your results.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, will wait to hear your results.
OK, I reset to factory defaults and the flickering is actually worse now and more pronounced :facepalm::facepalm: which is annoying, also the presets for PTZ will not accept unique names and simply revert to Preset1, Preset2 and so on, they were fine before the update. All in all the PAL version of this firmware from my experience is best avoided until they resolve these problems, I will wait to see what Dahua come back to me with regarding this before taking further steps, can't face loading the NTSC firmware today, maybe tomorrow!

I also noticed a light shadow/vertical band on the left of the image with this firmware, takes up about a quarter of the image, objects in this area seem to be less in focus - surely firmware couldn't do this but it sure as heck wasn't there before. Sometimes wish I had better luck or less of an eye for detail :D !

Last edited:

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is it possible that PoE+ is not enough for this cam? It really seems somehow power related because I only have issues at night. Once it flips out and starts rebooting I can shut the port down then wait till daylight and recover it....

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
is it possible that PoE+ is not enough for this cam? It really seems somehow power related because I only have issues at night. Once it flips out and starts rebooting I can shut the port down then wait till daylight and recover it....
Camera is specified as POE+ so that shouldn't be the issue unless there is a problem with the switch being used and it simply isn't meeting the POE+ output requirements like it should. If it helps my SD49225t-hn uses 20-21 watts and around 367-386 mAmps when zoomed in with IR running according to the switch, zoomed out with IR running that drops to around 15 watts and 270 mAmps. During the day with IR off the camera uses around 13 watts and 240 mAmps, again, all according the the POE switch.

From memory if I disable POE+ on the port supplying the SD49225 it simply spins around continuously without displaying any output until POE+ is enabled at which point it functions as expected.

Last edited:

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this is the 2nd switch I've put on it, both are high end cisco switches but that doesn't really mean anything.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, I reset to factory defaults and the flickering is actually worse now and more pronounced :facepalm::facepalm: which is annoying, also the presets for PTZ will not accept unique names and simply revert to Preset1, Preset2 and so on, they were fine before the update. All in all the PAL version of this firmware from my experience is best avoided until they resolve these problems, I will wait to see what Dahua come back to me with regarding this before taking further steps, can't face loading the NTSC firmware today, maybe tomorrow!

I also noticed a light shadow/vertical band on the left of the image with this firmware, takes up about a quarter of the image, objects in this area seem to be less in focus - surely firmware couldn't do this but it sure as heck wasn't there before. Sometimes wish I had better luck or less of an eye for detail :D !
Tried anything else on yours today?

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
this is the 2nd switch I've put on it, both are high end cisco switches but that doesn't really mean anything.
If they are both Cisco POE+ then sounds like you can rule the switch out.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was tempted to try the NTSC firmware but haven't yet, had enough with it the last few days so likely going to wait and see what Dahua come back with and go from there. All symptoms previously reported are still there at the moment with the flickering being the most annoying, isn't enough to trigger motion detection thankfully. Shall report back as soon as I make any progress with it though :)

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got impatient and installed the NTSC firmware :D flickering continues and PTZ presets still wont take custom names, flickering is consistent during both day and night, beginning to wonder if the PTZ firmware might be the cause, surely that shouldn't be the case? I had to update to the latest PTZ firmware version before the camera module firmware would install.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
A little up date on the focus issue with my Dahua SD49225T-HN PTZ camera. The issue for me was that one side of the camera was just a tad out of focus and the camera had no more (-) left in the focus. So every day or so I would hit the minus on the focus and see if it would move. Will today it moved just enough to bring that area into sharp focus. Now I just hope it stays there. Smilie