Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Tiger_one

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 SD49225T-HN cams, been trying to get audio working. Using 2 different microphones. Get nothing on one cam, the other one distorts the sound, and pops or booms every now and then. Any one get the mic working on this camera? I see it is 50hz, wonder if that has something to do with it?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 2 SD49225T-HN cams, been trying to get audio working. Using 2 different microphones. Get nothing on one cam, the other one distorts the sound, and pops or booms every now and then. Any one get the mic working on this camera? I see it is 50hz, wonder if that has something to do with it?
Are these active (powered) mics or passive (unpowered) mics that you are trying to connect? I tried mine with a passive/unpowered mic and only got the pops and booms; no actual audio...I think these only support active/powered mics, which I've not tried due to the extra trouble of splitting power to reach the mic.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got impatient and installed the NTSC firmware :D flickering continues and PTZ presets still wont take custom names, flickering is consistent during both day and night, beginning to wonder if the PTZ firmware might be the cause, surely that shouldn't be the case? I had to update to the latest PTZ firmware version before the camera module firmware would install.
I wouldn't think so because that firmware should only be for the pan/tilt motors rather than the video signal...If you want to try downgrading, I have a copy of the older PTZ firmware from January that you could try, though I really doubt that's where the cause is.

Can you try adjusting the iframe rate to see if that changes the frequency of the pulsing? That could at least confirm if it's just overcompressing between iframes rather than some kind of interference.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so because that firmware should only be for the pan/tilt motors rather than the video signal...If you want to try downgrading, I have a copy of the older PTZ firmware from January that you could try, though I really doubt that's where the cause is.

Can you try adjusting the iframe rate to see if that changes the frequency of the pulsing? That could at least confirm if it's just overcompressing between iframes rather than some kind of interference.
Agree that it seems unlikely to be the PTZ firmware and at this stage I can't see it being much other than the new firmware in both NTSC and PAL format causing these issues, none of them were happening before the update.

You were spot on regarding iframe adjustment, I just knocked it up to 30 from 15 and then again to 60 and the pulsing reduces accordingly so it would appear that this new firmware has somehow broken the compression, no combination of iframe and fps or bit rate eliminates the pulsing altogether, simply reduces the frequency. That is a good sign in the sense that at least the old firmware should bring it back to life. The other bizarre issue with darker band on the left of image and softer focus in that same area remains, as does the focus problem which requires lens init when it occurs, the iris issue looks better in this NTSC version. Will have to wait it out until Dahua return from holidays in China and see what they can do, either that or I might be calling on you for previous firmware :D

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agree that it seems unlikely to be the PTZ firmware and at this stage I can't see it being much other than the new firmware in both NTSC and PAL format causing these issues, none of them were happening before the update.

You were spot on regarding iframe adjustment, I just knocked it up to 30 from 15 and then again to 60 and the pulsing reduces accordingly so it would appear that this new firmware has somehow broken the compression, no combination of iframe and fps or bit rate eliminates the pulsing altogether, simply reduces the frequency. That is a good sign in the sense that at least the old firmware should bring it back to life. The other bizarre issue with darker band on the left of image and softer focus in that same area remains, as does the focus problem which requires lens init when it occurs, the iris issue looks better in this NTSC version. Will have to wait it out until Dahua return from holidays in China and see what they can do, either that or I might be calling on you for previous firmware :D
Have you tried switching between VBR and CBR (variable and controlled bit rate)? How about different resolutions (ie. trying 720p to see if it exists on that resolution)? I've had the pulsing occur from time to time on mine, though this has usually been in complex scenes and/or strong lighting changes (where half the yard is in shade and half in sun)...It seemed these situations would always max out the bandwidth and would start causing the pulsing on every iframe...Also I've noticed it in times when it was very windy and the trees were moving around a lot. The "movement predictor" couldn't keep up with the tree motion between iframes and would cause a strong pulse/picture jump at each iframe.

I'm not sure about the dark band and focus issue on one side..All I know to do is manual focus adjustments and/or maybe adjusting the focus mode (auto/semi-auto/manual) and the focus distance settings.

I'm willing to send any files you would like to try....Although unfortunately, I fear it probably will not accept the old PAL/NTSC firmware easily...I downloaded a copy of the new firmware and decompressed it to see the files inside. It appears to have a "signature" file, meaning it will only allow "signed" firmware to overwrite it...The old firmware is not signed, so it would most likely reject it....I've seen some talk that you may be able to override this block by using a serial cable directly to the camera's circuit board and sending the old firmware through TFTP...Though that can definitely get more complicated and I don't quite yet understand all I've heard...Trying to get more clarification as to what all steps are involved to do this. I would really like to upgrade mine to the new firmware just to see what kind of results I get, but want to make sure I fully understand how to get the old version back in case I run into the same problems that you're having.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I
Have you tried switching between VBR and CBR (variable and controlled bit rate)? How about different resolutions (ie. trying 720p to see if it exists on that resolution)? I've had the pulsing occur from time to time on mine, though this has usually been in complex scenes and/or strong lighting changes (where half the yard is in shade and half in sun)...It seemed these situations would always max out the bandwidth and would start causing the pulsing on every iframe...Also I've noticed it in times when it was very windy and the trees were moving around a lot. The "movement predictor" couldn't keep up with the tree motion between iframes and would cause a strong pulse/picture jump at each iframe.

I'm not sure about the dark band and focus issue on one side..All I know to do is manual focus adjustments and/or maybe adjusting the focus mode (auto/semi-auto/manual) and the focus distance settings.

I'm willing to send any files you would like to try....Although unfortunately, I fear it probably will not accept the old PAL/NTSC firmware easily...I downloaded a copy of the new firmware and decompressed it to see the files inside. It appears to have a "signature" file, meaning it will only allow "signed" firmware to overwrite it...The old firmware is not signed, so it would most likely reject it....I've seen some talk that you may be able to override this block by using a serial cable directly to the camera's circuit board and sending the old firmware through TFTP...Though that can definitely get more complicated and I don't quite yet understand all I've heard...Trying to get more clarification as to what all steps are involved to do this. I would really like to upgrade mine to the new firmware just to see what kind of results I get, but want to make sure I fully understand how to get the old version back in case I run into the same problems that you're having.
I have tried VBR and CBR, also dropping down to 720p without change, this is not something I have ever noticed before so 100% firmware cause, do know what you mean about light and dark changes causing a similar visual effect and maybe even some compression in the area of image with lots of activity but this pulsing is right across the image and continuous whilst also being consistent.

Understand your thoughts on firmware, sadly I might never see the old image quality experienced on previous version, lesson learned for me, should have known better really but was hoping this firmware would fix the PTZ presets in Milestone for me, sadly even that didn't work out. Avoid this version unless you have a very good reason to upgrade, rest assured I will be leaning on Dahua pretty hard in an attempt to get this sorted.

kool_zero

n3wb
Reaction score
Earlier in this post, some people mentioned that this camera is missing some 'smart features'. Could someone elaborate on what might be missing or what kind of smart features may be desired (auto tracking?) Also, what would be a good upgrade from this model? The price seems really good for this camera and I will pick one up unless there is a better model with a close price point. I've looked at a few Hikvisions as well but I really like the Startlight models.

Tiger_one

n3wb
Reaction score
P1030219.JPG
Are these active (powered) mics or passive (unpowered) mics that you are trying to connect? I tried mine with a passive/unpowered mic and only got the pops and booms; no actual audio...I think these only support active/powered mics, which I've not tried due to the extra trouble of splitting power to reach the mic.
First pic is Sunba 601 setup, this camera has 12v out, so plug in a splitter and give power to the mic, works great.

Bottom pic, is the Dahua SD49225T-HN and I get power from wall plugin transformer. I have tried both of these mics, same result also different power supplies, 9v still pops but not as loud.

These are powered mics by 110v ac transformer 12v dc, have not found a usable splitter to use the PoE for source.

Attachments

Last edited:

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@kool_zero I got mine today and it has IVS but does not have autotracking you have to go up to the 59 to get that. other than that don't see anything else. I do have the 59 also and the 6 series all pics look identical just different features

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Tiger_one I had a couple mics like on the 2nd pic that i never got to work right. the always sounded like a whisper no matter volume. the mic in the 1st pick works great. I just got my 49225 today and connected up to the mic in 1st pic and works great. I can't see the wires real good but you are using just white and black?

Tiger_one

n3wb
Reaction score
@Tiger_one I had a couple mics like on the 2nd pic that i never got to work right. the always sounded like a whisper no matter volume. the mic in the 1st pick works great. I just got my 49225 today and connected up to the mic in 1st pic and works great. I can't see the wires real good but you are using just white and black?
Yes, soldered white and black to RCA connector.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, i've read many of the pages here but did not see a few answers to my questions:

Does this cam support IVS?
From my theoretical mounting spot, car license plates would be at 225 feet. Would this cam, set with IVS or other alarm, be able to accurately zoom in and grab plates day/night at this distance with no ambient lighting? Vehicles would be stopped at a stop sign (or so they should be doing, lol)

Tiger_one

n3wb
Reaction score
225 feet is a stretch, but it might be able to, I would bet in daylight for sure. The zoom and auto focus is pretty fast.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, i've read many of the pages here but did not see a few answers to my questions:

From my theoretical mounting spot, car license plates would be at 225 feet. Would this cam, set with IVS or other alarm, be able to accurately zoom in and grab plates day/night at this distance with no ambient lighting? Vehicles would be stopped at a stop sign (or so they should be doing, lol)
Daytime will be fine at that distance, I can read them at 300+ feet, night with only built in IR and ambient will be a struggle. If I get chance later I will run some night tests at 225+ feet and let you know the outcome.

Last edited:

Tiger_one

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the audio working on one camera, using the little black mic.
I'm using Amcrest NVR and it changes the IP address to 10.1.1.xx, to access via the WEB Dahua interface I have to change the IP address to local segment 192.168.1.xx and move the Ethernet connection from NVR to PoE injector then router. I am unable to view the camera via WEB interface (windows 10 plugin does not work???) but I can change the settings. Support suggested Audio encode G.711A and 16k. Mine was set to G.711A but 8k, after the change to 16k sampling audio now works with the black mic, but not with the little silver can.

Second camera still does not do audio, so I am looking for firmware upgrade.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

In the dark my 49225 can read plates at 225 feet, even more so if they are stationery, having HLC on helps, my testing was in complete darkness with no ambient as well so if you have some additional ambient lights then should be in even better shape. If the vehicles are stopped you can run a very slow shutter speed which will help a lot, with some ambient you may be able to increase the shutter speed slightly. It might be an idea to use the timed profile so you can have HLC on at night but not during the day, the IR on this camera is pretty powerful and will easily light up a reflective plate or road sign at 300-400 feet. You might be able to get away with auto settings for day and night but that would depend on reflections once dark, this might require HLC as mentioned above. Hopefully that helps.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the dark my 49225 can read plates at 225 feet, even more so if they are stationery, having HLC on helps, my testing was in complete darkness with no ambient as well so if you have some additional ambient lights then should be in even better shape. If the vehicles are stopped you can run a very slow shutter speed which will help a lot, with some ambient you may be able to increase the shutter speed slightly. It might be an idea to use the timed profile so you can have HLC on at night but not during the day, the IR on this camera is pretty powerful and will easily light up a reflective plate or road sign at 300-400 feet. You might be able to get away with auto settings for day and night but that would depend on reflections once dark, this might require HLC as mentioned above. Hopefully that helps.
This helps a lot. Thanks you for taking the time to do/type this. For me, that alone makes it worth purchasing this camera. Its on my list of things to get, after I get my 5321s installed.

Tiger_one

n3wb
Reaction score
Support had me reset the camera, now cannot access. What is the default password after reset (button on back of camera)?
Thanks for help.