Dahua 4300S vs Hikvision 2032

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The object or area you are watching whether it be a bird feeder or a nuclear power plant is irrelevant. If the network and hardware can handle its ok...in 99.9 percent of the cases, its irrelevant...but good info to have if this particular issue is a concern...also if you are going to run 3mp in 720p you are better off using 1.3mp cameras as the sensor will have better night and low light vision...

Snd1234

n3wb
Reaction score
You keep using that word... irrelevant.

Bandwidth is a major aspect of IP cameras. It directly impacts storage space, among other things. If a camera can send the image at 25% of the bandwidth of a different camera, that is 4x as much footage you can store for the same amount of storage space.

Some of the most critical things we (people who want security) need to monitor also happen to be the places that don't have a human presence. How the signal gets back from those places is important and a direct function of bandwidth.

Even for you birdfeeder guys... the bandwidth of the feed is important if you are checking on your smartphones remotely. Bandwidth is not unlimited outside of your home LAN.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You have made an assumption that we are bird feeder guys, many of us probably run more complex systems than you have installed. You further assume that we are remote viewing the primary stream and not a sub stream or using a webserver such as one available with blue iris that allows three bandwidth presets for remote viewing regardless of the record quality...finally post original captures from the cams so we can see whether the quality really is the same....

Snd1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not going to invest more time creating content for someone who has already decided that it's irrelevant anyway.

I gave the settings and the specs for the two cams. I posted pics in the OP but not raw captures but good enough for a fairminded person to see everything I said was at least plausible. Anyone who has interest in testing and getting results I got has enough info to go on. That's good enough to accomplish what I wanted to do when I wrote the OP.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually you are not correct at all. I just did this test because it bothers me when folks post this kind of info with out properly testing. I have a location with both dahua cams and hikvision. I wanted to see for myself...I just ran the test with the hikvision set with your spec and a dahua set at 720p vbr, 320kbps max, and a 150 i frame interval (the max allowed on dahua)...the dahua was running consistanly at 370-400kbps while the hikvision was running at a much lower 120-150kbps..but here is the rub, the image on the dahua is significantly better than the hikvision. You dont see it because in your original post you are not running the image full screen. The SAME EXACT bandwidth use can be accomplished by the dahua if I pull the image from the substream at lower settings...So you are not comparing apples to apples...you are saving bandwidth at the expense of image quality....you can do this with the dahua, its just that falls into the substream realm..

Snd1234

n3wb
Reaction score
  1. Nope, I'm not pulling from the substream on either one. I made all kinds of adjustments to the Hik substream and the bandwidth stays the same. When I modify the main stream settings from 15fps to 30fps the bandwidth on the wire clearly changes. Any my Dahua substream is disabled entirely so that issue is moot.
  2. You either aren't reading and your command of bandwidth related issues is clearly potato-quality considering you overlooked the difference between bytes and bits above. I find it difficult to even read your writing on the subject with any degree of confidence.
  3. And I already told and showed you my Hik graph where the 350kbps wasn't even constant. It was 350kbps for a moment followed by 20-40kbps for a long period afterwards. The Dahua rates were constant. So you're obviously not even doing the test right which brings me back to how you aren't reading what I wrote...
  4. I said from the OP forward that my Hik results are with the Synology backend in ONVIF mode. I didn't get my results for Hik without ONVIF. I can't explain that, but I can tell you the quality and bitrates are real and spectacular.
  5. I shared a story here about a specific setup for my application produced low bandwidth results with high quality. Anyone who has a need for that can reproduce my setup and get those results.
  6. Even your results found the Hik operates at a lower bandwidth at the same resolution. Cool story about "quality" though. Doesn't show up to my eyes at all.

Snd1234

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems we're at the part of the program where the forum admin axe-grinds and dahua fanboys back him up. So this is all I'll be adding to this thread.

There is enough for someone go on if they care about bandwidth savings. And there is enough criticism for them to weigh against what I said.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
None of us Admins will axe-grind any of your posts. This is a fair forum and it was started because the Admins in the other forums were all jerks. Feel free to discuss your findings and your beliefs and if
there is any dispute, that is more for everyone to learn from.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Most of this comes from people taking stuff the wrong way and people saying stuff that isn't necessary. 'He's made up his mind' in turn brings out 'bird feeder watchers' and there you have it- the typical bullshit you have to wade through in an otherwise informative thread. Good info, but I still prefer dahua.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Snd1234 a little reading comprehension is needed here. I said never stated you were pulling a substream but rather that you a pulling substream quality...my point was that you can accomplish the same bandwidth reduction by just pulling the substream from the dahua...with your settings the image was awful...it will look ok in a 4 split screen but not when full screen..if you need to get any detail for evidentiary purposes it will not suffice...regardless how how it looks to your eyes...
Your posts were pompus, this forum is stacked with folks who are more than birdwatchers. Look, you are inexperienced in this field...10 cams is nothing..You inexperience is what prompted you to purchase the dahuas assuming they had a wider filed of view. ...
I dont care how much networking experience you have, you have much to learn about cameras and ip cameras. On this forum we are allowed to disagree and makes our points...if you have a problem with that, you know where the door is.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it is worth attached is a bulletin from Hikvision. Bit rate plays an important role in the quality of the picture. Isn’t that the point of getting megapixel cameras in the first place, to improve the quality and definition in the picture?

NOTE:
Video quality is NOT the same as resolution. Resolution is measured in height and width.
An Image or video clip can be at very high resolution while being at a very low quality.
The higher your data stream / bit rate is, the better the video quality.
The lower your data stream / bit rate is, the lower your video quality.
These instructions are for general reference only. There are many other factors affecting file size,
such as the amount of motion, the complexity of the scene, lighting, etc.
Bit-rate is determined by:
The selected resolution (1280x720, 1920x1080, 2560x1920, etc.)
Frame rate (frames per second)
Video Quality (The amount of compression being applied to each camera.)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: